ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Apr 8, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #586 of 888
  Well, I don't really know. Some say that tin connectors oxidate and lose quality, unlike the gold ones. Maybe it's true, maybe not, maybe to some degree, but the main idea is that I don't want to take any chances, because I paid a lot of money for a sound card that doesn't have a feature and I was mislead by Asus' images. There must be a reason 99.9% of mid and high-end (and even some of the very low-end) products have this feature. There aren't any manufacturers that say "ok, we'll leave this feature out, it's not important", so it's worrying.

When all products over 50-100$ have this feature, why would you leave it out for a 250$ product?

To be fair, your complaint about Asus changing the aesthetic and/or quality of the connector is valid. However silver and copper are actually much better conductor compared to gold (but they corrode rather quickly thus are made into alloy with nickel and other metals). A microscopic (so microscopic that the cost is negligible) layer of gold/brass is usually used to coat that silver/copper/nickel jack to prevent corrosion and give it a longer life time.

In the case where Asus changed the colour of jacks, I believe they simply changed supplier and did not bother to update the photos on their website. This of course doesn't resolve your issue but I hope it helps elevate your worry about possible worse quality product.

Conductivity chart: http://www.tibtech.com/conductivity.php

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #590 of 888
Well, the gold plating on my old STX is stil intact after 4 years, so...

And the "clean by re-connecting" thing doesn't make me feel batter, I've kept the old STX connected for 4 years to the same device and I was planning of doing so with the new one, not to clean it every 6 months and things like that.

Somebody I know bought the 7.1 version and it had the gold plated ones. Even on the daughtercard. It seems to be done deliberately, to cheapen the features of the 2.0 one, to be different. Ok, but it's only the 15-20$ sound cards that don't have this feature, haven't they cheapen it too much?
I'll try to return it or sell it if they won't take it back, because I'm too poor to set it on fire on youtube no matter how much I would like to do it.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #591 of 888
Hi, I own the sound card and have some question regarding DOLBY.

Anyone familiar with the dolby sound effect like what we exactly hear in a home theater or theaters? Its like a soft filter to make the sound all balanced. I have a friend that have this very old GIGABYTE motherboard with "Dolby home theater" technology in it. Like this one on this page: http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-880GM-UD2H-rev-13#ov

I heard the sound when he plays games or music, and it sounds really awesome. mp3 files sounds like a live performance in front of your pc. It only have realtek sound chip in it and he does not even tinker things like dolby virtual speaker and everything sounds good, powerful, sound seems floating and its like when you play you are totally immersed in the game. Even on movies, engines really roar. :/ STX II is just balanced and clean and i feel like its missing the effect I mentioned. And why does he have this [Dolby] tab on his playback devices and speaker properties, when I have none even when the card have this Dolby thing in it.

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #592 of 888
STX 2 op amps.jpg

I want to try new op amps, but I only use the RCA outputs. Can I just switch op amp C, or do I need to to change A, B, and C?

Can someone clarify this for me, cause the manual is a little confusing.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #593 of 888

I want to try new op amps, but I only use the RCA outputs. Can I just switch op amp C, or do I need to to change A, B, and C?

The attachment is inaccurate on some details. The I-V dual operational amplifiers A and B affect all outputs except the TOSlink, as they feed the points of all three relays and will drive one of the Texas Instruments® TPA6120A2 power-output (Headphones), the dual RCA output jacks (2 Speakers), and the Intel® High Definition Audio™ header on the card edge (Front Headphone or Front Speaker). Dual audio amplifier C affects specifically the white- and red-insulated RCA jacks at the rear (2 Speakers), as it is the line-level buffer for two 600Ω single-ended loads, e.g., an external stereo amplifier or receiver auxiliary input.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #594 of 888

Hi and the short answer is AB and C for the RCA outputs, AB only affect the headphones out.
bcschmerker4 was entirely correct.

Hope this helps,

Ren

Apr 30, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #598 of 888
Greetings. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600 (300 Ohm apparently). I have two headphone amps (Asus GDX and an onboard one, Gigabyte Gaming 3 AB350). Both headphone amps are no where near powerful enough it feels like, I constantly fiddle with the EQ and have the volume at 100%.

My question is, the STX II specifies a headphone amp up to 600 Ohm, is that by default? Or do you need to change OAmps? What are the OAmps, and what are they for?

May 2, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #600 of 888
In terms of the stock Texas Instruments® TPA6120A2 in the STX II™, which medium-Z headphones favor the Sparkos® SS3602 in the I-V? the Burson® V5i? This will be a factor in my much-delayed audition of headphones for my LinUX box with an STX that ideally can be done at the San Francisco (CA, USA) Bay Area meet in August. (I don't expect to be able to run the original Burson® V5 due to physical conflict with the ASUS® EAH6850DC/2DIS/1GD5 that I'll be transferring from the CM1630, once I have a new RX 400 based video card; both the LinUX box's Gigabyte® GA-MA78GM-S2HP and the CM1630's stock M4A78LT-M have the PCIe x1 and x16 slots adjacent. Microsoft® Windows® 10.0.14393.693 and later use some 4 GiB total RAM for video, whereas LinUX 4.4-up can make do with so little as 1 GiB for most X11 installations.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back