ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
May 8, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #601 of 888
Hello, I recently bought this card. It is currently connected to a Yamaha rx-v373 receiver, which is driving a 5.1 surround sound speaker system: Energy Take 5.1.

Is there any way to connect the sound card to an amp capable of driving these passive speakers? So far all the amps that I have found only drive up to 2.1 channels. I would love to take advantage of the sound card's DAC.

Thank you.

May 8, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #602 of 888
Hello, I recently bought this card. It is currently connected to a Yamaha rx-v373 receiver, which is driving a 5.1 surround sound speaker system: Energy Take 5.1.

Is there any way to connect the sound card to an amp capable of driving these passive speakers? So far all the amps that I have found only drive up to 2.1 channels. I would love to take advantage of the sound card's DAC.

Thank you.

I use my STX II (and earlier Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe) connected to an Outlaw Audio 770 7 channel amplifier and it works well. Outlaw makes several audio "separates" amplifiers that are just amplifiers (no extras like an A/V receiver).

See https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html under the Amplifiers section

May 8, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #603 of 888
I use my STX II (and earlier Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe) connected to an Outlaw Audio 770 7 channel amplifier and it works well. Outlaw makes several audio "separates" amplifiers that are just amplifiers (no extras like an A/V receiver).

See https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html under the Amplifiers section

The model 5000 Seems to be exactly what I need. However, I do not like that price. Are there any cheaper options? By the way, are there any receivers that can just function as amps without processing the source signal?

Edit: If I were to buy the model 5000 would I see a noticeable upgrade in audio quality over my current receiver?

My receiver:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v373_black_u/

My speakers:
https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44

Edit 2: Perhaps I a made a mistake and I would need to look for a 6 channel amp system? How am I supposed to drive the Sub?

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #604 of 888
Hello??? Can anyone help me? Is there an amp that supports home theater speakers without having to spend at least a thousand dollars, that works to this sound card?

More importantly, will it be a worthwhile upgrade in audio fidelity over my current sound/receiver set up?

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #605 of 888
The model 5000 Seems to be exactly what I need. However, I do not like that price. Are there any cheaper options? By the way, are there any receivers that can just function as amps without processing the source signal?

Edit: If I were to buy the model 5000 would I see a noticeable upgrade in audio quality over my current receiver?

I don't know (to both questions), sorry. Many A/V Receivers have analog inputs, and some have 5.1 analog inputs. And built-in amplifiers.

Edit 2: Perhaps I a made a mistake and I would need to look for a 6 channel amp system? How am I supposed to drive the Sub?

In my (limited) experience, most home theater subwoofers have their own amplifier built-in and just take a line level input straight from the source (aka the sound card).

May 11, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #606 of 888
I don't know (to both questions), sorry. Many A/V Receivers have analog inputs, and some have 5.1 analog inputs. And built-in amplifiers.

In my (limited) experience, most home theater subwoofers have their own amplifier built-in and just take a line level input straight from the source (aka the sound card).

So a receiver with analog inputs like this one: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_779CX...n&awnw=g&awcr=74029585705&awdv=c&awug=1027027 will get the job done you think? I would need to find something cheaper though, but it seems that receivers with multichannel analog inputs are becoming very scarce .

How does your sound card sound with the amp that you are using? Have you compared its fidelity to some receivers? it also looks like the you need to control the volume at the software level unless I am missing something.

May 11, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #607 of 888
So a receiver with analog inputs like this one: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_779CX...n&awnw=g&awcr=74029585705&awdv=c&awug=1027027 will get the job done you think? I would need to find something cheaper though, but it seems that receivers with multichannel analog inputs are becoming very scarce .

I think so, but I am not certain. Those specs list "7.1-channel analog audio preamp input" and "60 watts per channel into 8 ohms (1k Hz) at 0.006% THD, with 7 channels driven" which sound appropriate. Make sure your speakers can handle that.

How does your sound card sound with the amp that you are using? Have you compared its fidelity to some receivers? it also looks like the you need to control the volume at the software level unless I am missing something.

I think it sounds great, but I don't have a wide experience with different amplifiers and receivers. Yes, with a dedicated "separates" amplifier without a volume control you have to use the sound card's volume control. I don't know if that is the case with an A/V receiver though - the last one I used (decades ago) the volume control worked fine for analog inputs.

May 12, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #608 of 888
I think so, but I am not certain. Those specs list "7.1-channel analog audio preamp input" and "60 watts per channel into 8 ohms (1k Hz) at 0.006% THD, with 7 channels driven" which sound appropriate. Make sure your speakers can handle that.

Yeah it looks my 5.1 system is built for 100 watts per channel, id would have to inform myself well as I do not wish to blow up my speakers.

I think it sounds great, but I don't have a wide experience with different amplifiers and receivers. Yes, with a dedicated "separates" amplifier without a volume control you have to use the sound card's volume control. I don't know if that is the case with an A/V receiver though - the last one I used (decades ago) the volume control worked fine for analog inputs.

My system sound great too, but I have not really tested the capabilities of my sound card's DAC until I connect an amp or receiver with analog inputs. It would be great if someone has made the actual comparison.
I do still get the ability to control the volume from the receiver if I wish and I get all the EQ and DSP perks that the sound card brings though (it definitely sounds way better than onboard or HDMI to the receiver thats for sure) However, people in this thread keep mentioning the DAC on this sound is phenomenal and it is comparable the most expensive audio equipment you could find, if this turns out to be true then buying this sound card is a huge bargain.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #609 of 888
IMG_3215 (600 x 400).jpg
IMG_3217 (600 x 400).jpg
IMG_3220 (600 x 400).jpg
IMG_3249 (600 x 400).jpg
IMG_3252 (600 x 400).jpg
IMG_3254 (600 x 400).jpg

Hi all, I promised Burson some pics of the 5Vi's in an STXII so here goes... very nice packaging and presentation.

And them finally planted in the STXII.

Sorry for the delay Charles,

Ren

May 25, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #610 of 888
I've sit on the situation a little and now I'm enraged. Even the cheapest devices have gold plated connectors, even some of the on-board audio, even Xboxes, even the daughterboard of some of the STXIIs.
This is true charlatany, how could they do it? A high end sound card that looks worse than the cheapest 30-40$ sound cards.
I've missed my chance to return it (more than 15 days have passed), but I'll never buy any Asus product anymore. They are petty swindlers, happy to gain 1-2$ per card, not worrying that the product has a part worse than in the lousiest of models from other brands and the product doesn't look like in the pictures that were used to fool people.
I hope some Asus staff comes here and explains how are the silver connectors better than the gold plated ones, how the nickel plating is thicker than the gold one and better, I don't know, just an explanation, otherwise I did a downgrade by changing my old STX.

PS: You could have kept those pliers and spare opamps (the card has already got opams, I don't need the tuning nonsense) and put at least as good connectors as in the old card.

I've got gold plated USBs in my pc, cable connectors, external amp, hdmi, DP, literally everything, so the Asus card looks like a turd among all the electronics in my room. Hope it functions al least the same as gold plated, but for this I need an explanation, what are the connectors made of, plated with and why would it be al least the same.

If you, as a manufacturer, make an upgraded device, you can't take even one little thing away from one generation to the other, people are very sensitive to this, even though you put a lot of new better stuff on it, you can't take any of the old advantages, no matter how little, especially by not showing it in the presentation (swindler style).

I don't have evident , however i believe gold plated connector is one of the selling feature on their website banner when they launch. The latest banner seems missing that feature.

May 26, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #611 of 888
Hello??? Can anyone help me? Is there an amp that supports home theater speakers without having to spend at least a thousand dollars, that works to this sound card?

More importantly, will it be a worthwhile upgrade in audio fidelity over my current sound/receiver set up?

Hi Sugetsu,

You might check out the Emotiva amps, their A-500 sounds like it should fit your application and goes for $500.

emotiva.com

Hope this helps and good luck,

Ren

May 31, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #612 of 888
Hi guys,

I am not an audiophile but enjoy music once in a while.
After reading posts on this forum, I went for the Asus Essence STX II card. Initially I went for the Muses02 in the buffer and Muses 8920 in the IV. I was happy with the setup and the sound.
But after reading more and more of the posts, I started to have a strong itch and went for the Bursons. I got 3 V5Ds and things were good. To be honest I didn't feel much of a difference in the sound compared to the previous setup of Muses02.
After about 2 weeks or so, my speakers started to crackle and hiss. Then the volume went down and the right speakers stopped working. I checked the speakers and the wires and all were good. I removed the V5Ds and replaced them back with the stock Opamps and all went back to normal.
I contacted Dennis from the Burson and he was very supportive and helpful.
Now should I go again for the V5 or should I go for the V5i?
If I go for the V5 should I try the Extra MKP Mod? Will it make a difference?
Does the Extra MKP Mod work with the V5i?

Please advice.

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back