ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Jan 31, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #571 of 888
  That would be awesome thanks.

​Sorry for being late back to answering, but sems you got your answer. It is very close, but there is a way to get around that with as few small washers and having your local hardware store cut you a few machined screws to length after you have the clearance you need. Just make sure the washers do not touch any circuitry if they are metal.

Hope this helps
Ren

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #572 of 888
Today, I got new Xonar STX II with silver only RCA connectors !!! I am very disappointed. 

Your new "manufacturing standard", ASUS? Or any other reason?

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #573 of 888

​Hi, and I just checked mine. They are gold, and the pictures on the Asus site show them as gold.
You might want to call the vendor and ask.
Or call Asus and see if it was a production change.

Ren

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #574 of 888
I`ve contacted ASUS Tech. support and have an answer:

"Pictures are illustrative only.  The color of the connector does not affect the function of the product.
  With regards,  ASUS"

So, my first guess about the manufacturing standard was probably correct...

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #575 of 888
Really? No kidding Asus!  The photos should be an accurate illustration of the product.  Are you able to return it? I would be tempted to return it and try another vendor.  It's the small details like gold plated connectors that are supposed to set this card apart as a premium product.

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #576 of 888
Can anybody PLEASE give attention to my post about STXII\ZXR?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/840731/zxr-beating-the-hell-out-of-stx-ii

Apr 3, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #578 of 888
I've received mine with silver RCAs too. Also disappointed. How can they botch it like this? It's almost nothing in cost but very disappointing for clients. Even the old STX had gold ones. It's a shame.

I guess the wima caps, new opamps and oscillator are more important though.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #579 of 888
Hello everybody :)

I have a technical question:

Does the ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 7.1 also work without the duaghtercard ?

I am well aware that there is the version without daughtercard.

I want to by the ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 7.1 for a new PC i am going to build, where i will need the and use the daughtercard.

But for a few monts i want to use in in an older computer, where i have room for only one card. The headphone functionality would be enough for me there.

Because i do not want to buy two cards, i would like to use the ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 7.1 alone without daughtercard in the old PC. Would this work ?

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #580 of 888
The ASUS® XONAR® STX II™ restores the analog expansion capacities of the original ST™, which used PCI 2.2 rather than PCIe 3.0 x1.  The XONAR® H6™ will connect to either the ST or the STX II via ribbon cable and requires no direct motherboard power or signal; the H6 included in the STX II 7.1 package is preloaded with the same dual amplifiers as the STX II (vs. the Japan Radio Corp. JRC2114D I/V op amps and National Semiconductor/Texas Instruments LM4562N line-level buffers used in the ST).  The digital multichannel output will function through the STX II's optical/coax RCA jack with or sans H6; and in all cases the stock Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 has its dedicated 6.3mm TRS jack.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #582 of 888
I've sit on the situation a little and now I'm enraged. Even the cheapest devices have gold plated connectors, even some of the on-board audio, even Xboxes, even the daughterboard of some of the STXIIs.
This is true charlatany, how could they do it? A high end sound card that looks worse than the cheapest 30-40$ sound cards.
I've missed my chance to return it (more than 15 days have passed), but I'll never buy any Asus product anymore. They are petty swindlers, happy to gain 1-2$ per card, not worrying that the product has a part worse than in the lousiest of models from other brands and the product doesn't look like in the pictures that were used to fool people.
I hope some Asus staff comes here and explains how are the silver connectors better than the gold plated ones, how the nickel plating is thicker than the gold one and better, I don't know, just an explanation, otherwise I did a downgrade by changing my old STX.

PS: You could have kept those pliers and spare opamps (the card has already got opams, I don't need the tuning nonsense) and put at least as good connectors as in the old card.

I've got gold plated USBs in my pc, cable connectors, external amp, hdmi, DP, literally everything, so the Asus card looks like a turd among all the electronics in my room. Hope it functions al least the same as gold plated, but for this I need an explanation, what are the connectors made of, plated with and why would it be al least the same.

If you, as a manufacturer, make an upgraded device, you can't take even one little thing away from one generation to the other, people are very sensitive to this, even though you put a lot of new better stuff on it, you can't take any of the old advantages, no matter how little, especially by not showing it in the presentation (swindler style).

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #583 of 888
I've sit on the situation a little and now I'm enraged. Even the cheapest devices have gold plated connectors, even some of the on-board audio, even Xboxes, even the daughterboard of some of the STXIIs.
This is true charlatany, how could they do it? A high end sound card that looks worse than the cheapest 30-40$ sound cards.
I've missed my chance to return it (more than 15 days have passed), but I'll never buy any Asus product anymore. They are petty swindlers, happy to gain 1-2$ per card, not worrying that the product has a part worse than in the lousiest of models from other brands and the product doesn't look like in the pictures that were used to fool people.
I hope some Asus staff comes here and explains how are the silver connectors better than the gold plated ones, how the nickel plating is thicker than the gold one and better, I don't know, just an explanation, otherwise I did a downgrade by changing my old STX.

PS: You could have kept those pliers and spare opamps (the card has already got opams, I don't need the tuning nonsense) and put at least as good connectors as in the old card.

I've got gold plated USBs in my pc, cable connectors, external amp, hdmi, DP, literally everything, so the Asus card looks like a turd among all the electronics in my room. Hope it functions al least the same as gold plated, but for this I need an explanation, what are the connectors made of, plated with and why would it be al least the same.

If you, as a manufacturer, make an upgraded device, you can't take even one little thing away from one generation to the other, people are very sensitive to this, even though you put a lot of new better stuff on it, you can't take any of the old advantages, no matter how little, especially by not showing it in the presentation (swindler style).

So the reason why you are so enraged because it's not as aesthetically pleasing compared to your other connectors?

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #585 of 888
Well, I don't really know. Some say that tin connectors oxidate and lose quality, unlike the gold ones. Maybe it's true, maybe not, maybe to some degree, but the main idea is that I don't want to take any chances, because I paid a lot of money for a sound card that doesn't have a feature and I was mislead by Asus' images. There must be a reason 99.9% of mid and high-end (and even some of the very low-end) products have this feature. There aren't any manufacturers that say "ok, we'll leave this feature out, it's not important", so it's worrying.

When all products over 50-100$ have this feature, why would you leave it out for a 250$ product?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back