ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Nov 4, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #541 of 888
has anyone had the soundcard pop and only play treble or very low sound on the right channel after using burson audio v5? i bought a used stx ii, installed the burson op amps and even that got popping on the right channel and suddenly a loud pop and now i almost got no sound on the right channel. these op amps has destroyed 2 soundcards now... kind of sad ;S anybody know what the issue might be?

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #542 of 888
So your old stxII and new do not work anymore with normal opamps?

are you gonna fry (or misjudge) a 3rd board? Or are you gonna conclude that the V5 is fried and should be returned .
I hope the boards are still fine

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #543 of 888
one of the cards has its capacitors removed. i want to upgrade those and see if i can get some life in it. i will try and send in my other soundcard to see if they can fix it. and it also broke my headset. blew my right side :frowning2: so gotta send that in too.

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #544 of 888
That is some serious damage. Damn
I hope some of it can be fixed.

Good luck

Can you give a reason why it might went wrong?
i.e.: Did one of the V5's fell out of the socket due by gravity? or................

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #545 of 888
maybe it but abit of strain on the capacitors near the copper plate on the soundcard. that is the only thing i can think of. this happend after 5 minutes after i changed to the v5 and they was in there good :p so sad because i love the sound .. probably faulty op amps. (i hope) 

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #546 of 888
  maybe it but abit of strain on the capacitors near the copper plate on the soundcard. that is the only thing i can think of. this happend after 5 minutes after i changed to the v5 and they was in there good :p so sad because i love the sound .. probably faulty op amps. (i hope) 

Hi CVLover,
Sorry to hear about the V5 issue, have seen pictures of them melting in certain setups. I might suggest trying the Sparkos. They are without a doubt my fav opamps. I am running 3 of their 3602's in my STXII and they are  pristine ( at least to my ears and some friends I stream music to). They are simply the best sounding opamps I have ever ran. They are not for people that want all recordings to sound good, but being an ex musician they are the closest thing I have heard to the studio.
Wish you luck with the soundcards.
Ren

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #547 of 888
Hi Renfield1217 and others,

As a STX II and Sparkos SS3602 owner, could you comment on the combo’s bass performance and soundstage?

I ask because I’ve read comparisons of Burson V5 versus Sparkos SS3602 wherein the latter was described as 1.) relatively light in the bass, and 2.) upfront in-your-face with relatively shallow soundstage - or words to that effect(s).

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #548 of 888
  Hi Renfield1217 and others,

As a STX II and Sparkos SS3602 owner, could you comment on the combo’s bass performance and soundstage?

I ask because I’ve read comparisons of Burson V5 versus Sparkos SS3602 wherein the latter was described as 1.) relatively light in the bass, and 2.) upfront in-your-face with relatively shallow soundstage - or words to that effect(s).

Thanks.

​Hi Jay,
And sorry for the delay in the reply.

Some say that the Burson's sound veiled and way back from the stage...is all in the gear you have and the way
you hear things. Personally I like definition and detail I want as close to studio recordings as possible not easing over recordings to make everything sound good.
There is no lack of bass on the Sparkos and to me the soundstage
is great. To me the Sparkos is totally neutral on sound across the frequency range.
Being a professional drummer that has done many concerts, I like the detail the Sparkos give me, I can tell the diff between a drummer using plastic tips and wood on their sticks Some folks just want to boogie on a song and that is great as is wanting their MP3 files to all sound the same no matter how badly recorded.
Is kinda like the Senn HD600 vs the HD 650 argument. Gets down to taste do you want neutral actual recording sound or an augmented sound that sounds good across the board of the recordings you have?
To be honest  to me with my equipment the Sparkos is with out a doubt the  most honest sounding opamp I have heard.
BTW how many Sparkos are you running in your card?
Sorry I just love the detail of the Sparkos
Ren

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #549 of 888
Hi Ren,

Thanks for sharing your experience and input. My STX II with stock opamps is a disappointment vs. my PC’s onboard RealTek audio, particularly in the areas of bass and soundstaging.  I read virtually all Head-Fi reviews and comparisons of DIP8 swappable op amps, and two weeks ago I ordered Burson V5 and V5i (still awaiting delivery to USA via HongKongPost/USPS). If Bursons don’t float my boat, then I’ll definitely try the Sparkos next.

Yeah, with different gear and personal preferences, I'm learning that firsthand trial-and-error is the only way to know for sure.

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #550 of 888
  Hi Ren,

Thanks for sharing your experience and input. My STX II with stock opamps is a disappointment vs. my PC’s onboard RealTek audio, particularly in the areas of bass and soundstaging.  I read virtually all Head-Fi reviews and comparisons of DIP8 swappable op amps, and two weeks ago I ordered Burson V5 and V5i (still awaiting delivery to USA via HongKongPost/USPS). If Bursons don’t float my boat, then I’ll definitely try the Sparkos next.

Yeah, with different gear and personal preferences, I'm learning that firsthand trial-and-error is the only way to know for sure.

Hey is just my take, and honest opinion. Agreed on the Muse opamps that came with the STX II, they were terribly laid back. But hey to some that is great they did make even bad recordings sound decent.
You will like the Bursons, they make a good product. they are a step up from the stock Muses that come installed in the STXII. Make sure you let them burn in for at least 100 hours before you post any thoughts. I have reviewed the Burson SS5i's they are decent opamps. Again it all comes down to taste and how you want to hear your music and the gear you have to make the opamps sing.
BTW, please post your thoughts on the Bursons and let us know what you think.

Ren

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #551 of 888
Hey guys,to all stx owners,I found great combo,no need to go burson,just make sure youll get a genuine opamps
Nec uPC4570c x2 for the I/V,and jrc2114D for buffers,forget marketing crap,these combo sound sweet,the only one that didnt gave me ear fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back