ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Sep 17, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #527 of 888
A question. I currently own first generation STX. I'm using RCA outputs to connect it to a standalone headphone amp that's driving HD650's. At the same time SPDIF output is connected to receiver that's driving my floor speakers. I am not using headphone out on STX. Is there any point in getting STX II? Or would that be pointless?

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #528 of 888
The headphone amp will sound better on rca output, The SPDIF will sound the same. I own both the STX and STX II and th Stx II does sound better. Are you using the stock op amps if so you might want to try changing them 

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #529 of 888
My STX is all stock. I still wonder how much better would STX II be, if at all? Stock vs stock or upgraded opamps vs upgraded opamps. I've been reading head-fi forums for the last day about it, and saw no definitive answer.

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #531 of 888
  My STX is all stock. I still wonder how much better would STX II be, if at all? Stock vs stock or upgraded opamps vs upgraded opamps. I've been reading head-fi forums for the last day about it, and saw no definitive answer.

​Hi JazzJackRabbit,
I have an STXII and it's an upgrade to the STX. That being said as some others have stared here I would try some diff opamps first, before upgrading the entire card. I highly recommend the Sparkos. Am running three in the STXII here and the sound is unbelievably good.
And if you ever decide to upgrade to the STXII you can move the opamps along to the new card.
Hope this helps..
Ren

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #532 of 888
Hi all,

Anyone here installed ASUS Essence STX II into Windows10/Dell XPS 8900 desktop PC?

As a wary novice (experience inside PC limited to adding RAM), I question two things that I read in the ASUS online installation instructions:

1. “STX requires a 4-pin Molex connection to power the card.”

Is factory-stock Dell XPS 8900 desktop PC not supplied with 4-pin Molex? Would I need to replace XPS 8900 power supply cord, or buy some type of adapter to go between the STX II and XPS 8900 power connectors?

2. “Front panel audio header: Connect to the chassis-mounted audio module.”

What are front panel audio header” and “chassis-mounted audio module,” and where are they located on Dell XPS 8900?

Can anyone answer these questions before I buy ASUS Essence STX II (2-channel version)?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #533 of 888
1: The molex connector is the one that is used for powering non-sata HDD/DVD devices.
There must be one available. But i cannot find the actual listing of available power connectors.
Take a look on what unused power connectors you have!
If it is a 4pins flat type
then you are good to go

2:
See: ps-8900-desktop_service manual (http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8900-desktop_service%20manual_en-us.pdf)
page 16 connector 21 or page 75

You don't wanna use the the frontpanel audio! You buy this card for the rear panel connections!

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #534 of 888
seoman,

Thanks for your helpful reply and the link. 

I hoped to minimize downtime by preparing for all contingencies (mailorder parts, if needed) before disconnecting and opening the computer, but I'll just have to dive in and see what power connection is there. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #535 of 888
Downtime is not necessary, but when in doubt, shutdown the PC first.
If you have a modular Supply, there might be spare cables in de transport box.
But if you find a spare sata-power connector there or something else with 1 yellow 1 red and 2 blacks.
There are plenty adapters available

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #536 of 888
Thanks again, seoman.

Well, I opened my Dell XPS 8900 desktop PC and found two 6-pin PCI-E female power connectors available, and ASUS tech support tells me that their sound cards typically have a 4-pin Molex male connector.

QUESTION: Before I start searching for a rare, if it even exists, power adapter cable (6-pin PCI-E male to 4-pin Molex female), can anyone with firsthand knowledge please confirm that the STX II onboard connector is indeed a 4-pin Molex male?

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #537 of 888
Dont search for a 6 to 4 adapter!!!! It will not work
The dell site states is supplies with 3 power cables for sata.
Locate those cables and get a sata power to 4pole molex!

Or get a sata power splitter and a sata power to 4pole molex.

Yes the molex 4pole on the stx is male.

Instead of asking asus you should question DELL how to get a normal non-sata HDD powered.
Asus uses a standard connection for a device that needs a 5V and 12V supply, dell should have supplied your PC with those cables

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #538 of 888
seoman, your input has been most helpful.

I’ve learned a few things and finally got it sorted out. I did find an unused SATA, and I’ve ordered an adapter cable (<$5 delivered) to power the STX II which will arrive in a week or so ($232.95 w/ free S&H USA; less $30 mail-in rebate expiring 10/31/2016 from Amazon.com or less $30 instant cash discount expiring 11/15/2016 for placing a first order from Jet.com, so I chose the latter).

Looks like the upgrade from RealTek to ASUS Essence STX II is gonna be less expensive and easier than I first imagined. Still a novice; but, hey, at this rate I might be tempted to start switching out op amps next week :)

thanks.

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #539 of 888
  Hi all,

Anyone here installed ASUS Essence STX II into Windows10/Dell XPS 8900 desktop PC?

As a wary novice (experience inside PC limited to adding RAM), I question two things that I read in the ASUS online installation instructions:

1. “STX requires a 4-pin Molex connection to power the card.”

Is factory-stock Dell XPS 8900 desktop PC not supplied with 4-pin Molex? Would I need to replace XPS 8900 power supply cord, or buy some type of adapter to go between the STX II and XPS 8900 power connectors?

2. “Front panel audio header: Connect to the chassis-mounted audio module.”

What are front panel audio header” and “chassis-mounted audio module,” and where are they located on Dell XPS 8900?

Can anyone answer these questions before I buy ASUS Essence STX II (2-channel version)?

Thanks, much appreciated.

1: The molex connector is the one that is used for powering non-sata HDD/DVD devices.
There must be one available. But i cannot find the actual listing of available power connectors.
Take a look on what unused power connectors you have!
If it is a 4pins flat type
then you are good to go

2:
See: ps-8900-desktop_service manual (http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8900-desktop_service%20manual_en-us.pdf)
page 16 connector 21 or page 75

You don't wanna use the the frontpanel audio! You buy this card for the rear panel connections!

One of the frustrations I find in the latest PC's is a constant violation of specifications for some connectors.  The 4-pin Molex used on older disquette, hard, and optical drives and some front panel accessories, in addition to the ASUS® XONAR® range, requires four wires:  One +5VDC, one +12VDC, and two grounds.  All manufacturers know that.  Too many systems that are supposed to power SATA devices, much to my anger, fail to provide +3.3VDC to those devices - that forced me to change the power supply in my CM1630-06 to an Antec® TruePower® New™ 750 Blue™ to bring the rig up to Code (which demands one +3.3VDC, one +5VDC, one +12VDC, and two grounds for SATA).

At least ASUSTeK is consistent with power requirements for the XONAR range; the full-height cards use a 4-pin Molex, the half-height a four-pin AMP consistent with 3.5" disquette drives.  Only the ROG® XONAR® Phoebus™ requires an outlier:  A six-pin PCIe auxiliary connector similar to those used with video cards.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #540 of 888
This is just a start to the review. I will continue to add more as more testing is done with this product.

My set up:

Asus Essence STX

Schiit Asgard

Schiit Modi 2 Uber

Burson Cable+

HiFiMan HE400I

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm

Sennheiser HD555

I had the opportunity to test Burson's Cable+ in my current set up. While I am using mid to high end HiFi audio equipment, it was a pleasure getting to use the Cable+ in this set up. I first tested the cable with my Essence STX connected to my Asgard. This little cable made quite the impression on me. Compared to running a plane RCA cable from my sound card to my amplifier, it definately shows the cables strengths. I tested this with not just music, but games as well. I will cover both separately.

In music settings I tested using a wide set of genres. I chose the artists based off bands and people I have listened to for years.Some of the artists chosen were: Tech N9ne, Metallica, System of A Down, Andre Bocelli, Garth Brooks, Nighwish, Van Halen, and much more. I listened to songs with just and RCA cable first, then switched to the Cable+ to get an immediate comparison. When first testing the cable I wasn't to sure it would make to much of a difference, but was I wrong. From rap to classical, from opera to hard rock, and from country to techno I saw a clear defined difference just by swapping to the Cable+. The mids and highs came in much clearer, the lows became more defined and not just mixed together, and the sound stage itself increased. At time while sitting here I closed my eyes and could envision myself at a concert.

In games the cable made great improvement upon directional sound. I play CSGO and COD Black Ops III. Both of these games rely heavily on directional sound to be able to get a precise location of and enemy coming up on you in game and also to tell where shots were coming from. While my HE400i's and my HD555's are very directional to begin with, I noticed a great difference between an RCA cable and the Cable+. With just an RCA cable the sound stage was a little bit congested and muddled together. Locations were generally accurate, but not as precise and I would like. When I switched over to the cable plus in my set up it became very precise and clear as to what direction an enemy was headed from. The sounds of jumping, running, falling, shots, grenades, guns dropping to the ground, and objects hitting other object became very precise and clear. Not only did the Cable+ help in defining directional sounds, it improved clarity and the overall sound in game.

While only having the cable to be able to test in just one set up I was thoroughly impressed with it. I would easily recommend this cable to the average user all the way up to HiFi users. The price on the cable is reasonable considering the positive gains you will get from switching from a generic RCA cable. I look forward to being able to test this in other applications as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back