Astro Mixamp, impedance Question Double amp and Proper Headphone
Dec 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #16 of 50
No. The DTS decoder literally converts the DTS signal to Dolby Digital and then to Dolby Headphone. Dolby Headphone only accepts Dolby Digital or Pro Logic II.

Youre not getting a better signal with the Su-DH1. Couldn't hear a lick of difference between the SU-DH1 processing DTS into DH or straight DD into DH.

The only time the SU-DH1 is better is when you play Blu-Rays that only have DTS. However, the PS3 has a bitstream - mix option that converts or finds the Dolby signal in Blu-rays, so the DTS decoding isn't necessary. However if you need DTS decoding for another system, thats when the SU-DH1 is worthwhile. Not that it matters, as its very rare to find... almost impossible.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #18 of 50
In stock as of today. I'm thinking of ordering it myself. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #19 of 50
Quote:
Since i can not seem get any Mixamps ( sold out ) i am thinking of getting an receiver.
Can you recommend any with Dolby Headphone?

I prefer Yamaha A/V receivers, they do not use Dolby Headphone, but come with Yamaha's own headphone surround sound, called Silent Cinema.
and the Yamaha's do come with latest audio standard, both Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
So use HDMI to connect the PS3 to the A/V receiver and you know your going to get the best possible audio you can.
As I believe the main audio tracks on Blu-ray disks are more likey to be DTS-HD Master audio.
Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio can not pass thru S/PDIF optical (or coaxial), just HDMI.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #21 of 50
Quote:
First of all, the Mixamp doesnt even have an RCA output, it has an RCA input (the older Mixamps anyways). The only way to get sound out of the Mixamp is its headphone jack, which always passes Dolby Headpjone unless you switch it off.
Just trust me, I've been using two Mixamps this way for years. Mine is always tethered to an external amp.
That person is incorrect, as there is no RCA output.

I had a question for you since you're really informed about the Astro Mixamp.

If I had a DAC which was capable of 24/192 RCA Output, would I be able to use the RCA Input of the Mixamp for 24/192?

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #22 of 50
Yes, as you'd only be using the amp portion of the Mixamp, and not it's DAC. Though not sure why you'd do that, as the main purpose of the Mixamp is to use it as DAC first for the Dolby Headphone processing. The RCA input could only process into Dolby Pro Logic II into a watered down Dolby Headphone, which is worse than Dolby Digital into Dolby Headphone.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #23 of 50
Quote:
Do you have any experience with Silent Cinema? Does it perform as good as Dolby Headphone or even better?

My Yamaha receiver uses Silent Cinema and my Essence STX sound card uses Dolby Headphone, can't say I notice any difference.
I guess I never try to directly compare them
You could say there are both good enough, for me.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #24 of 50
With everything thats's been said I'm using the Astro 5.8 Mixamp running the DT990 Pro. So should I run an additional amp as I use the mic side of things?

I was thinking of picking up a Fiio E11, will that be good?

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:
With everything thats's been said I'm using the Astro 5.8 Mixamp running the DT990 Pro. So should I run an additional amp as I use the mic side of things?

I was thinking of picking up a Fiio E11, will that be good?

I do like my E11, powers my 250-Ohm headphones just fine.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #26 of 50
Hello, I've got a similar problem. I want to buy a pair of good Headphones like the DT 880 Edition in combination with the Astro MixAmp Pro 2013, but I just can't decide what external amp to buy nor I am still sure if the 880 are the right ones for me.
I'd like to get the 600 or 250 Ohm version of the headphones, just to have it more dynamic. Main purpose will be Gaming (not competitive since I have no more hope in the CoD series, MW3 and BO2 where just unsatisfying and not comparable to CoD 4 and MW2), Movies and Music (almost every type, Rock/Metal, Electronic and orchestral music, like soundtracks from movies, animes, games etc.). Gaming in sense of NOT competitive, I just want a true sound experience in games, movies etc. I hope you guys know what I mean. (I love good cinema with surround sound)
My conclusion is that the 880s as neutral they are, are the best allround solution for me, because the MixAmp has its good presets.. Because I intend to use the mic a lot for skype and xbox live chat, there's a need of an external amp, to get a proper volume.
What do you guys think of this amp, link included: Millenium HA4 It is very cheap, but appears to do his job, from what I have read so far. I'm afraid that it will drawback my sound quality.
And what headphones and Ohm versions do you recommend for my purposes?

Budget is 250 to 350 EUROS.

I'm still new to this section, but have spent the last days in researching. I just want to get the maximum out of my headphones and have fun with it for some years.

Until now I had the Tritton AX Pro (had it two years now), but tomorrow I'll send it back to amazon due to its bad durability. Pieces always broke, so I have to
get new ones from the support. Sound quality also doesn't satisfy me anymore.

German forums couldn't help me as they don't have much experience with the Astro MixAmps over here. However this one here is the biggest forum for headphones I found on the net. Hope you guys can help me for my decision.

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #27 of 50
Hi, I am looking to get more power to my akg q701 for gaming on a playstation 3. I use the modmic microphone for gaming all the time. My current setup is ps3 - mixamp - q701. I am looking to possibly double amp. I want another amp that will get more power to the q701 and allow me to hear better aka have some breathing room to really crank up the sound. Because right now the mixamp is at its max trying to power the q701.

I have been looking at including the Fiio E9K amp but do you have another suggestion in relatively the same price rage? I have no need for portability in an amp.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #28 of 50
Couple quick Astro Mixamp 5.8 double amp w/Fiio E11 questions...

1)How does having two sets of volumes work. I just got the Mixamp5.8 and its pretty loud with my AKG K550s but only at 3/4 volume or more (depends on the source) My main issue is the mixamp is very hissy at 5/8 volume (but perfectly quit at around 50%). Would i Keep the mixamp at say 50% and then get the additional Fiio E11 output?
2)Is this method of double amping going to have a noticeable quality dropoff vs just the mixamp? mixamp appears to put out about 50mwatts @ 32ohms, Fiio E11 180 mwatts at 32. Just not sure I get how the two together will work

Thx!
riz

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #29 of 50
Hi, I am looking to get more power to my akg q701 for gaming on a playstation 3. I use the modmic microphone for gaming all the time. My current setup is ps3 - mixamp - q701. I am looking to possibly double amp. I want another amp that will get more power to the q701 and allow me to hear better aka have some breathing room to really crank up the sound. Because right now the mixamp is at its max trying to power the q701.

I have been looking at including the Fiio E9K amp but do you have another suggestion in relatively the same price rage? I have no need for portability in an amp.[/quote

So late... lol. Schiit Magni, Fiio E12, Objective O2

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #30 of 50
Hello Mad Lust Envy, 

You seem to know the most out of anyone here on this thread, so question? I currently own the Beyer Dynamic DT 990 PRO 250 ohm and Fiio E10 set up currently. If I were to buy the Astro Mixamp Pro in the near future, how would I exactly connect everything together? I think it would be cool to use it for the 7.1 Dolby Digital surround sound! Also I do not know all of the connections on the 2013 Astro Mixamp Pro so that's why. [Thanks in ADVANCE!]  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back