Astro Mixamp, impedance Question Double amp and Proper Headphone
Aug 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #31 of 50
Unfortunately, the E10 is a source first usb device, with the E10 starting as the source, and allowing other devices to use the E10 as the dac/source. You can't use another source with it (Mixamp). You'll have to buy another amp if you plan on adding more power to the Mixamp. If youre not using voice chat, you could just use the Mixamp alone for the 990s, though they do benefit from more power.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #32 of 50
Oh ok, that makes sense. Man, thats sucks :| haha. What amp would you recommend? I do like Fiio's products. I'd also prefer not to pay every single penny out of my pocket to get it, so a reasonably price please. IT can be a different brand as well, that would be fine if so.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #33 of 50
I personally bought the E12, but for your 990, ths E9k is a good choice and a little cheaper.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #35 of 50
Yeah. You have good options at that price range.

Objective O2 from jdslabs

Fiio E09k (just be aware that headphones less than 80ohm may sound worse on this. Your 990 will be fine)

Schiit Magni (the most powerful of the 3).

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #36 of 50
Yeah. You have good options at that price range.

Objective O2 from jdslabs

Fiio E09k (just be aware that headphones less than 80ohm may sound worse on this. Your 990 will be fine)

Schiit Magni (the most powerful of the 3).
Just ordered a PS4, BF4, FIFA 14, DT880 600ohm headphones, Astro Mixamp 2013, and the Mayflower O2 Amp all this week! None have which have arrived yet! Can't wait!!

Mad Lusty I hope you are right because I was going to buy just the ODAC from Mayflower instead of the amp and mixamp combo. Mainly because of the recent video from Tek Syndicate on youtube about audio saying that basically you dont need all that stuff because it's not "clean, un-colored audio" and it's not how the developer intended for it to be heard. But I think they were mainly referring to things that add other type of effects besides surround. I know the simulated surround is still an "effect" but for me playing an FPS I think it would be a good effect that I want. Plus it'll be cool to try playing fifa with the "sport" preset on the mixamp. But for the most part, I want DAT SURROUND FOR SOUND WHORING!!! lol

This will easily be the best audio set-up I have ever had. I have the Xonar Essence STX soundcard that I bought last month when I built my new pc but now thats going back. Already called amazon and got the return shipping label lol.

I was so close to taking the cheaper, lazier and suckier route by buying a Turtle Beach XP SEVEN headset. I'm glad I didn't because every review says they are very uncomfortable compared to the DT880s which just look like they will be like heaven for my ears! Also going to be grabbing the ModMic 4.0 from AntLion when it comes out in a few months to go along with it :)

About the mixamp presets, did you download or create any that you would recommended for like FPS games or are the stock ones sufficient enough?

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #37 of 50
Also, what if I buy the XP Seven Audio Control Unit from Turtle Beach: http://store.turtlebeach.com/ControlUnitfor7series.aspx

Would that work just as well as the Astro MixAmp? I really like the features of the XP7 control unit a lot more.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #38 of 50
Also what if replace the Astro Mixamp with a Turtle Beach XP SEVEN Audio Control Unit? Would that work just as good? I really like the features and functionality on the XP Seven control unit a lot more (independent chat volume dial, mic monitor, more presets, etc)

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #40 of 50
I have the Fiio E09K hooked up to my Mixamp Pro through the Mixamp's headphone jack to the RCA input of the Fiio.  I do this because there's no other available input on Fiio beyond the USB.  Obviously there is no RCA out on the Mixamp, but I'm assuming by now splitting the sound into an RCA that my amp will only output in stereo from the Fiio?  This was touched upon in the beginning of the thread, but I didn't see anything conclusive on this.  

If I pick up an amp that doesn't use an RCA, and simply accepts a transfer of 3.5 output from Mixamp to a 3.5 input on headphone amp to output to my headphones, I'm assuming this is beneficial over splitting it to RCA from Mixamp to headphone amp?  

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #41 of 50
ANYTHING that gets it's audio from the Mixamp's headphone jack will ALWAYS retain the virtual surround. You can add a million other things to the chain, virtual surround will still remain.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #42 of 50
Thank you tons for the clarification, Mad Lust Envy. And many thanks for your guide which got me to my current set-up. These AKG K712 kick ass. I was just making sure I wasn't playing tricks on myself. Cheers.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #43 of 50
hoping MadEnvy or someone else can assist here

I am thinking of getting the Mixamp Pro for use with my PS3/PS4

I already have a killer headphone setup Beyer T1+Senn 600>WooAudio WA2 and want to add a ModMic to them for gaming.

Is there a way to connect the Mixamp to the WA2 (RCA ins only)?

I hope somebody can provide a solution as I dont really want to plunk down for a gaming headset that will sound crappy in comparison to what I already own.

EDIT: will this work?

http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Feet-3-5mm-Stereo-Cable/dp/B000V0G2C4

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #44 of 50
Umm, once virtual surround is added in the signal, you absolutely can't remove it from the signal, so it's NOT a lie. You can add 100 amps to the chain, and virtual surround will still remain.

Using the Mixamp as a pre-amp to another amp is the only legitimate way to power harder to drive headphones, while maintaining the Dolby processing the Mixamp provides. Try using an HE-4 with the Mixamp only. I dare you. Then try again with a legit amp attached to the Mixamp.

We double amp because IT WORKS. It is especially important when making the Mixamp drive both headphone and microphones. The Mixamp takes a steep dive in volume when doing so. Using an external amp to power a headphone, while letting the Mixamp power the microphone a bit more is the only way to get a proper decibel level for both, when the headphone is hard to drive, like the K701.

The Mixamp is made for 32ohm headphones (i.e. A40s). It does it's best with low impedance. However, that isn't the only factor. It doesn't do a great job with harder to drive low impedance headphones like the Beyer DT880 and 990 32ohms which are known to be harder to power than the 250ohm variants, though they do get louder.

So basically:

Source (i.e. PS3 or 360) - Mixamp - Headphone Amp - Headphone

if using a mic:

Source - Mixamp - Y cable (one end for chat, one for audio) - Mic on chat end, headphone Amp on the audio end - Headphone

You mainly want the Mixamp nearly maxed out on the volume knob, and control volume with your headphone amp.

what if you head phone have a built in mic? I am using the boom mic with the X1s and the M100s. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #45 of 50
  1. gr34td3str0y3r: Maybe I can help you.
  2. Here is the equipment I have and the set up I used to make it work, but understand its going to a PC, NOT an XBOX or PS4.
  3. HEADSETS:
  4. - Sennheiser PC363D (has 2x inputs 1 for MIC, 1 for HEADPHONE) 32ohms headset
  5. - Astro A40 Headset (has 1x input for MIC and HEADPHONE) 32 ohms headset
  6. - Logitech G930 (connect via USB) 32 ohms headset
  7. MIXAMP, AMP/DAC
  8. - Astro MIXAMP 2013 Edition
  9. - Mayflower Electronics AMP/DAC (O2 Headphone Amplifier with built in DAC) 
  10. SETUP
  11. Sennheiser headset through Astro Mixamp, to Mayflower Electronics AMP/DAC to PC.
  12. 1. Plug in Mixamp and Mayflower to power source
  13. 2. Get a 3.5mm Y connector and plug it into your Astro MIXAMP.
  14. 3. From the HEADPHONE end of the Y connector, plug in a 3.5mm cable from there, to the INPUT on the Mayflower AMP/DAC
  15. 4. From your headset, plug in the GREEN or HEADPHONE 3.5mm to the Mayflower AMP/DAC "OUT" port, and plug in the headset PINK or MIC 3.5mm to the Y connector MIC input coming from the MIXAMP
  16. 5. Go to Control Panel> Sounds on your PC and make sure the Default is set to where your MIXAMP is, and make sure the default Communications Device is set to the Headset you are using
  17. 6. You may have to restart your computer, I did. Power it on, and you should have both MIC and HEADPHONE coming through your MIXAMP and Mayflower component

Users who are viewing this thread

Back