Astro Mixamp, impedance Question Double amp and Proper Headphone
Dec 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Bombaman

Head-Fier
I have been searching the internet for a whole week, what the Astro Mixamp can drive and not. If an additional Amp is recommended or not. What Headphones are suitable and not.

I just want to know a couple simple Questions.

1) Does the Astro Mixamp work best with low impedance Headphones like 32 ohm? Does it loose Volume+Sound-Quality if i use for example a 250 ohm Headphone?

2) Astro Mixamp + dedicated desktop amp. Those this combination work. I read that by using two amps, you loose the Surround sound which the Mixamp provides.
Additionaly, are there any other drawbacks of using two amps?

3)How much output impedance those the Mixamp offer?

I just can not understand what is true or a lie.

People post they run the Mixamp+amp  with 600 ohm Headphones and are very pleased. But as far as i know they shouldnt be able to use the Surround sound option.

Others claim that the best way to work the Mixamp is to use a 32 ohm Headphone.

I really hope you guys can solve these Quesitons.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 50
Umm, once virtual surround is added in the signal, you absolutely can't remove it from the signal, so it's NOT a lie. You can add 100 amps to the chain, and virtual surround will still remain.

Using the Mixamp as a pre-amp to another amp is the only legitimate way to power harder to drive headphones, while maintaining the Dolby processing the Mixamp provides. Try using an HE-4 with the Mixamp only. I dare you. Then try again with a legit amp attached to the Mixamp.

We double amp because IT WORKS. It is especially important when making the Mixamp drive both headphone and microphones. The Mixamp takes a steep dive in volume when doing so. Using an external amp to power a headphone, while letting the Mixamp power the microphone a bit more is the only way to get a proper decibel level for both, when the headphone is hard to drive, like the K701.

The Mixamp is made for 32ohm headphones (i.e. A40s). It does it's best with low impedance. However, that isn't the only factor. It doesn't do a great job with harder to drive low impedance headphones like the Beyer DT880 and 990 32ohms which are known to be harder to power than the 250ohm variants, though they do get louder.

So basically:

Source (i.e. PS3 or 360) - Mixamp - Headphone Amp - Headphone

if using a mic:

Source - Mixamp - Y cable (one end for chat, one for audio) - Mic on chat end, headphone Amp on the audio end - Headphone

You mainly want the Mixamp nearly maxed out on the volume knob, and control volume with your headphone amp.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 50
Quote:
I have been searching the internet for a whole week, what the Astro Mixamp can drive and not. If an additional Amp is recommended or not. What Headphones are suitable and not.
I just want to know a couple simple Questions.
1) Does the Astro Mixamp work best with low impedance Headphones like 32 ohm? Does it loose Volume+Sound-Quality if i use for example a 250 ohm Headphone?
2) Astro Mixamp + dedicated desktop amp. Those this combination work. I read that by using two amps, you loose the Surround sound which the Mixamp provides.
Additionaly, are there any other drawbacks of using two amps?
3)How much output impedance those the Mixamp offer?
I just can not understand what is true or a lie.
People post they run the Mixamp+amp  with 600 ohm Headphones and are very pleased. But as far as i know they shouldnt be able to use the Surround sound option.
Others claim that the best way to work the Mixamp is to use a 32 ohm Headphone.

I have never used a Mix-Amp. but from what I understand.
250-Ohm will work (directly connected) on the Mix-amp. just as long as you do not use the mic feature on the Mix-amp.
Daisy chaining an add-on headphone amplifier to the Mix-Amps headphone jack should not affect headphone surround sound.
Mix-amp's headphone output impedance? have no idea.

32-Ohm headphone should be easily driven by the Mix-Amp's headphone jack,
Personally, I would try to use headphones in the 50-Ohm to 60-Ohm range, on a Mix-amp. (less possible impedance issues).

The best source connection for the mix-amp would be optical connected to a source that comes with DDL (Dolby Digital Live)
Normal optical is 2-channels of PCM (uncompressed) digital audio, with DDL, you can send 6-channels of compress digital audio to the Mix-amp.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 50
So in other Words.

I may Use this following Set up without any drawback for my PS3.

PS3---> Mixamp---> Fioo E09k ---> Beyerdynamics Dt 880 (600ohm)

Thats the Set up i am aiming for.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 50
Quote:
I may Use this following Set up without any drawback for my PS3.
PS3---> Mixamp---> Fioo E09k ---> Beyerdynamics Dt 880 (600ohm)
That's the Set up i am aiming for.

Looks good.
There is also the O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier ($155 new), would easily drive 600-Ohm headphones and is better with low Ohm (under 50-Ohm) headphones then the E09K.
It works fine like a normal desktop amplifier, but can also work as a portable head amp.

and Schiit just came out with their new Magni head amp. (started selling yesterday), $99, might check out the reviews, before deciding on an amplifier.

Another option is getting a used A/V receiver, run HDMI from the PS3 to the receiver, get full 7.1 (8-channel) of PCM 24-bit/192Khz digital audio.
Receivers come with plenty of juice for driving 600-Ohm headphones and would be great for getting full Blu-ray audio from Blu-ray movies.
I prefer Yamaha receivers myself.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 50
Quote:
Looks good.
There is also the O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier ($155 new), would easily drive 600-Ohm headphones and is better with low Ohm (under 50-Ohm) headphones then the E09K.
It works fine like a normal desktop amplifier, but can also work as a portable head amp.

and Schiit just came out with their new Magni head amp. (started selling yesterday), $99, might check out the reviews, before deciding on an amplifier.

Another option is getting a used A/V receiver, run HDMI from the PS3 to the receiver, get full 7.1 (8-channel) of PCM 24-bit/192Khz digital audio.
Receivers come with plenty of juice for driving 600-Ohm headphones and would be great for getting full Blu-ray audio from Blu-ray movies.
I prefer Yamaha receivers myself.

I guess i just get the FiiO E09K since i do not intend to use these Headphones outside. I also do not watch movies and most PS3 games have yet no 7.1 support.
But i do find the FiiO E09K to be very overpriced comparing  the german and english retail Website Amazon.
I have to pay 137€  instead of your 110$.

I have one last Question. What is the difference between the FiiO E09 and FiiO E09K?  Also what benefits are there when connecting an e17?

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 50
Sry i forgot to add something.

Since i own an essence STX, if i am going to buy the mixamp + Fiio E09K, is there any reason to keep my STX? I can send it back till february.

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 50
Quote:
I guess i just get the FiiO E09K since i do not intend to use these Headphones outside. I also do not watch movies and most PS3 games have yet no 7.1 support.
But i do find the FiiO E09K to be very overpriced comparing  the german and english retail Website Amazon.
I have to pay 137€  instead of your 110$.

I have one last Question. What is the difference between the FiiO E09 and FiiO E09K?  Also what benefits are there when connecting an E17?

I think for what your using the headphone amplifier for, there would be no difference.
When you plug the E17 into the E9/E09K dock, the E9/E09K can use the E17's DAC (when the E9/E09k USB input is used).

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 50
Sry i forgot to add something.

Since i own an essence STX, if i am going to buy the mixamp + Fiio E09K, is there any reason to keep my STX? I can send it back till february.

The STX has a similar internal amp to the E9K, and cleaner sound than the Mixamp. If you are a PC gamer, the STX is a better choice.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #11 of 50
There someone in another Hifi-Forum who insist that using two amps you will lose the Surround sound.

Here what he said ( translatetd with google )

The MixAmp does Dolby Digital 5.1, but if you go in to the RCA outputs on the MixAmp to the signal to your other amplefier forward, it will be back to stereo.
This is called at the end of route the signal, to put it simply is the MixAmp the signal like a bypass just on to the next customer.
You lose but the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal and thus makes no sense what you intend.

So, is he right?

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #12 of 50
First of all, the Mixamp doesnt even have an RCA output, it has an RCA input (the older Mixamps anyways). The only way to get sound out of the Mixamp is its headphone jack, which always passes Dolby Headpjone unless you switch it off.

Just trust me, I've been using two Mixamps this way for years. Mine is always tethered to an external amp.

That person is incorrect, as there is no RCA output.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #13 of 50
Ok, i just read that the Dolby Digital signal the Mixamps offers is not very good.

Since some guys are DTS compatible, i am thinking of getting a Receiver like PurpleAngel ( reminds me of Purple Rain^^) recommended.

I am just curios if this Receiver would be good:  http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V473-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B007JF85VU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355676821&sr=8-1&keywords=Yamaha+RX-V473 

I know it has only 5.1, but thats all i need.
Can i power 600 ohm Headphones or do i have to get an additional amp or is there a better Receiver?

Also can i not just connect the receiver with my PS3 wit an optical cable?

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 50
Lol, Doly Headphone is Dolby Headphone. Every single device I have used all have the same Dolby room 2 DH.

Old Mixamp
Wireless Mixamp
New Mixamp
DSS
AX720
JVC SU-DH1

ALL use the same Dolby Headphone. Whatever you're reading this from is a load of bollocks.

Dunno what you're expecting.

You're reading too much into it, and not actually doing any listening.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:
Lol, Doly Headphone is Dolby Headphone. Every single device I have used all have the same Dolby room 2 DH.
Old Mixamp
Wireless Mixamp
New Mixamp
DSS
AX720
JVC SU-DH1
ALL use the same Dolby Headphone. Whatever you're reading this from is a load of bollocks.
Dunno what you're expecting.
You're reading too much into it, and not actually doing any listening.

ah ok i see.

But i just noticed that the JVC SU DH1 has a DTS encoder. DTS is better than DD for games or?  i am just thinking because amazon offers one used for roughly 50€ which seems to be a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back