Astell&Kern XB10 Extreme Bluetooth Adapter
Oct 4, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #77 of 457
BTW, it's currently driving my power-hungry LCD-4's balanced, and with surprising authority.  Plenty of bass and nice, clear presence in the midrange and highs.  Asked for higher volumes (again, these are LCD-4's) it does run out of headroom, but for what it is, I'm extremely impressed.

How are they getting that much sound out of a unit no bigger than a stack of four (US) silver dollars?

Yes, yes, yes, this is all very useful, and interesting information, but, how does it sound? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::notes:?

I'm sure there will be complete and critical reviews posted soon, but from my point of view, the XB10 is able to drive every set of headphones I own, and provide the highest quality wireless audio I've ever heard.

Highly recommended!

- Dave

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #78 of 457
I just got the info that the device should be available in Poland by Thursday, I'll go and check it out head to head with my current champion (AudioTechnica AT-PHA50BT) on IE800. I'll have also my DragonFly Red and Mojo with me so though I do not expect XB10 to be anywhere near them I'll try to compare them so anyone that owns one of these devices could relate (or try to...)

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #80 of 457
  I just got the info that the device should be available in Poland by Thursday, I'll go and check it out head to head with my current champion (AudioTechnica AT-PHA50BT) on IE800. I'll have also my DragonFly Red and Mojo with me so though I do not expect XB10 to be anywhere near them I'll try to compare them so anyone that owns one of these devices could relate (or try to...)

I have the MoJo and it's in another league compared to the XB10 but then I didn't expect it to compete.  I got it for mobility and Spotify streaming while on the go ie., I can leave the phone on a table and do some stairs or go on the treadmill in the same room.  If I'm sitting down and not moving around, I'll go for my MoJo and/or ZX2. - thank you.

The XB10 has good enough quality via aptX but I'm waiting for more aptX HD devices to further improve the sound.

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #81 of 457

I have the MoJo and it's in another league compared to the XB10 but then I didn't expect it to compete.  I got it for mobility and Spotify streaming while on the go ie., I can leave the phone on a table and do some stairs or go on the treadmill in the same room.  If I'm sitting down and not moving around, I'll go for my MoJo and/or ZX2. - thank you.

The XB10 has good enough quality via aptX but I'm waiting for more aptX HD devices to further improve the sound.

do you have non aptx devices to compare with? im still trying to reference how substantial is the difference.

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #82 of 457
do you have non aptx devices to compare with? im still trying to reference how substantial is the difference.

Yes, I did a quick comparison with my ZX2 and iPad Pro and the sound via the XB10 has more clarity and impact while the others seemed dull and lifeless; its not subtle.

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #84 of 457
I have the MoJo and it's in another league compared to the XB10 but then I didn't expect it to compete.  

Yes, of course. My point was that I can try to compare sound "signatures" if they are somewhat similiar or different. For example to my ears DragonFly Red has similiar signature to Mojo, of course Mojo besting DragonFly.

Let me put it this way: A2DP and SBC are reasons why everyone hates "wireless" connections and main reason why if I say that I'm using bt amp with IE800 people look at me like I'm crazy (until they try and hear for themselves what difference Apt-X makes). There is a reason why Csr (Qualcomm now) is charging for the technology license.

Thank you! I wonder if you ever had the opportunity to try AudioTechnica AT-PHA50BT. When I was using it with IE8i there was noticeable hissing - as you are writing about XB10 - always, everywhere. Thats why I was using 30Ohm impedance adaptor to lower the sensivity of the Sennheisers. Hissing was almost not audible. Right now I am using IE800 and impedance adaptor is not necessary, this setup is dead silent, no hiss whatsoever so this may be also the case with XB10.

Well I'll hear for myself on Thursday.

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #87 of 457
Is it possible to get AptX HD from a laptop? I mainly use my Macbook Pro to listen to music but I'd really like to be untethered and have to freedom to move around. AptX should work... I hope HD will too.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #88 of 457
I think you'll find, as with AK DAPs, that mac laptops will not give much freedom over bluetooth. The metal cases probably zap a lot of the signal. I get very poor connection from my iMac (2012) at distances up to 20cm, and perfect connection from my iPhone inside up to about 7 metres. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #89 of 457
I get decent enough range with my bluetooth Bose headphones (the quality is just OK; they don't use AptX). But even if range isn't amazing, it's nice if you don't have to unplug just go step away for a second. Taking CIEMs out just to put them back in a moment later is a bit annoying!

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #90 of 457
  I get decent enough range with my bluetooth Bose headphones (the quality is just OK; they don't use AptX). But even if range isn't amazing, it's nice if you don't have to unplug just go step away for a second. Taking CIEMs out just to put them back in a moment later is a bit annoying!

If you get decent distance with your bose, you should get similar distance with the XB10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back