Astell&Kern XB10 Extreme Bluetooth Adapter
Oct 5, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #91 of 457
interested

which would be a better pairing an iphone 7 or galaxy note 7 for better sq

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #93 of 457

SQ should be the same. The DAC and amp are 100% external.

i thought maybe it has to do something that galaxy phones support aptx while i am not sure iphone 7 does

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #94 of 457

SQ should be the same. The DAC and amp are 100% external.

i thought maybe it has to do something that galaxy phones support aptx while i am not sure iphone 7 does

As far as I researched, I believe this is correct.  Apple supports the AAC Bluetooth codec over A2DP, which wouldn't take advantage of the audio compression improvements found in aptX or aptX HD.  In theory, a Galaxy S7 supporting aptX (or LG G5 supporting aptX HD) should sound better than an iPhone 7.

- Dave

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #95 of 457

As far as I researched, I believe this is correct.  Apple supports the AAC Bluetooth codec over A2DP, which wouldn't take advantage of the audio compression improvements found in aptX or aptX HD.  In theory, a Galaxy S7 supporting aptX (or LG G5 supporting aptX HD) should sound better than an iPhone 7.

- Dave

I'll be honest, I paired mine with my dad's samsung and didn't notice a huge different between that and my iphone. AAC does a pretty good job I think, but really what I think most of the fidelity comes from the xb10 hardware itself. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #96 of 457
AptX does make a huge difference in "depth" and dynamics of the sound, though discussion about particular brands is pointless. Apple in general (there was one MacBook pro as an exception) does not support AptX as they would have to cough up licence fees. Samsung top line phones (since S3 I think) do support AptX as well as number of other phone makers (including some Lumias).
AptX always needs to be licenced as this codec is prioprietary and that's why CSR (recently bought by Qualcomm) maintains a comprehensive list of all equipment with AptX support ever produced.

I know this because I was closely following the AptX progress since I bought Samsung HS3000 with this codec and was blown away with SQ when paired with my Note 2. In all these years since then I was buying or testing every small BT/headphone receiver that I could lay my hands on, including some not available outside Asia as this is incredibly handy device for commuting - listening to music or watching movies on the go.

The only notable exceptions that I've made were SoundBlaster E5 as it is so big that it's not really portable (try to pin it to your shirt's collar before you'll say I'm wrong :)) and recently Noble BTS - as literally almost everyone who reviewed it was mentioning big bass roll off.

I was always wondering why there is so few devices of that type as the idea is brilliant. The only answer for me was that CSR requires licence fees, and devices without AptX were so piss poor that there was no point in using them (and I know as I've tried some including Sony and AudioTechnica branded)

My current king of the hill is AudioTechnica AT-PHA50BT with AAC and AptX and I'm really, really curious if XB10 can dethrone it.
We'll see tomorrow afternoon :)

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #99 of 457
  Your tests are with an iPhone 6 and not utilising APTX - is that correct?

So utilising APTX / APTX HD should improve performance?

I have no idea. I can't use APTX with the iPhone, and using APTX via the AK70 is useless as connection issues destroy every signal I've tried to measure. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #100 of 457

- Dave

In theory.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #102 of 457
Ok I got it, after some testing I've decided to buy it - more info tomorrow.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #105 of 457
  Cool. There's a headphone festival organized by Fujiya Avic coming up in Tokyo. Maybe they'll have them there!

I'm sure they will. AK are huge here. If not, and if I'm able to come, it will be my pleasure to meet you. I am quite sure I will bring only my iPhone 6 and XB10. The XB10 isn't perfect but it is THAT good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back