Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jan 3, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #1,201 of 2,745
Santa brought me a SR25 for Christmas. Liking it so far; more listening is required. I feared that the Wifi capability would become an issue when streaming Qobuz in the house, but that hasn't been the case. We have a pretty healthy Wifi signal in most rooms, but I need to be practically sitting on the router for the SR25 Wifi icon to show a maximum strength signal. That said, it has been streaming just fine.

Any recommendations for how to manage playlists? Using the native playlist UI, I only see a way to load individual songs, not albums, to a playlist. That is way too much work - am I missing something? I am thinking my best option is to load foobar2000, which I have used (and liked) in the past.

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #1,202 of 2,745
Santa brought me a SR25 for Christmas. Liking it so far; more listening is required. I feared that the Wifi capability would become an issue when streaming Qobuz in the house, but that hasn't been the case. We have a pretty healthy Wifi signal in most rooms, but I need to be practically sitting on the router for the SR25 Wifi icon to show a maximum strength signal. That said, it has been streaming just fine.

Any recommendations for how to manage playlists? Using the native playlist UI, I only see a way to load individual songs, not albums, to a playlist. That is way too much work - am I missing something? I am thinking my best option is to load foobar2000, which I have used (and liked) in the past.
You can build playlists right from the UI. You can download the manual where it is reasonably explained. You have to get familiar with the icons that allow individual selection of tracks, and albums to be added to the playlist. Also, another thing to learn is the "Now Playing" list. You can erase the contents of the NP list and start anew or you can add to the NP list without erasing the list. There are options when you add tracks to the list such as adding to the top or adding below the existing list. I find the process reasonably easy (arguably). Just be careful when you select to delete songs... I have erased songs from the database by mistake. Having a backup of your files is essential. Good Luck with your SR25 !
Puertex

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,203 of 2,745
You can build playlists right from the UI. You can download the manual where it is reasonably explained. You have to get familiar with the icons that allow individual selection of tracks, and albums to be added to the playlist. Also, another thing to learn is the "Now Playing" list. You can erase the contents of the NP list and start anew or you can add to the NP list without erasing the list. There are options when you add tracks to the list such as adding to the top or adding below the existing list. I find the process reasonably easy (arguably). Just be careful when you select to delete songs... I have erased songs from the database by mistake. Having a backup of your files is essential. Good Luck with your SR25 !
Puertex
Thanks for the info! I saw the section on adding songs, but overlooked how to add albums. I need to invest the time to understand the mechanics of it. It seems to be able to read M3U files, which could come in handy, too.

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #1,204 of 2,745
Thanks for the info! I saw the section on adding songs, but overlooked how to add albums. I need to invest the time to understand the mechanics of it. It seems to be able to read M3U files, which could come in handy, too.
You can add albums and even individual tracks to the NP list or any playlist...You can even mix playlists by merging them. Its just a bit tricky ! :)
Puertex

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #1,206 of 2,745
Has anyone bought and used this adaptor for the balanced outlet? Does using the balanced outlet make a significant improvement in sound?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001423423832.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.23.1af46d04hI75TX
The balanced output has 2x the power output, which many IEMs and headphones will benefit from. You would get that kind of adapter if you wanted to use a cable with 4.4mm balanced plug instead of 2.5mm plug that already works with the SR25.

What IEMs or headphones do you have to use with the SR25?

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #1,207 of 2,745
The balanced output has 2x the power output, which many IEMs and headphones will benefit from. You would get that kind of adapter if you wanted to use a cable with 4.4mm balanced plug instead of 2.5mm plug that already works with the SR25.

What IEMs or headphones do you have to use with the SR25?

Currently using the Sennheiser Momentum BT 3:

https://www.richersounds.com/sennheiser-momentum-wireless-3-black.html

They have a 3.5 unbalanced plug, so I'd need a this 3.5 female adapter as well:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...668#1000022185#1000066059#0_668#3468#15607#31

The cable obviously won't be very long, so I'm wondering if I need to use the balanced output.

PS I notice a significant improvement in sound quality using the cable instead of the wireless bluetooth connection.

Thanks,

D

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #1,209 of 2,745
Using aptx HD or LDAC BT connection delivers the best fidelity while using wireless. Do these headphones offer these formats? Wired will always be better than wireless, of course.
Puertex

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,210 of 2,745
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #1,211 of 2,745
NEVER use an adapter to go from 3.5mm unbalanced to 2.5/4.4 balanced. You can short out your DAP. This goes for any device, not just AK devices. Using an adapter to go from 2.5/4.4 to 3.5 is ok. To go balanced, you will need to replace the cables.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 5, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #1,212 of 2,745
Using aptx HD or LDAC BT connection delivers the best fidelity while using wireless. Do these headphones offer these formats? Wired will always be better than wireless, of course.
Puertex
Yea, your just not really getting "hi resolution" from a bluetooth connection. The "pipe/bandwidth" just isn't there yet, but technology has advanced enough (Aptx HD, LDAC) where we can get some decent resolution from bluetooth. That's the easy reply without getting into numbers :) Wired is always the way to go, at this point, with high resolution files.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #1,213 of 2,745
I'm not sure about the value of the dual pole feature (adds a ground that isn't used in headphones but may be useful using balanced line out), but a normal 4.4mm to 2.5mm balanced pigtail/adapter will work just fine.
Exactly. Primary benefit of this adapter is ability to connect to an amp with 4.4mm balanced analog in, like iFi Zen Can and Oriolus BA20.

Jan 5, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #1,215 of 2,745
I'm not sure about the value of the dual pole feature (adds a ground that isn't used in headphones but may be useful using balanced line out), but a normal 4.4mm to 2.5mm balanced pigtail/adapter will work just fine.

Is a 3.5mm to 2.5mm balanced adaptor available, do you know? And, again, will that give noticeably better sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back