Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Feb 21, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #1,338 of 2,745
Hi folks
Am thinking about getting the SR25 for my Andro Golds and wondering about following questions
- vertical and horizontal stage coming from DX 220 Max reference sound
- output impedance good synergy for the 8ohm Andro Gold?
- Tidal MQA specs for streaming (couldn't figure that really out reading through this thread)
- getting hot when playing hires files?
Thx in advance!

Feb 21, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #1,339 of 2,745
Hi folks
Am thinking about getting the SR25 for my Andro Golds and wondering about following questions
- Tidal MQA specs for streaming (couldn't figure that really out reading through this thread)
Thx in advance!
Can't comment on the DX220 Max, but the SR25 should pair very well with Andro Gold.
Andro 2020 was high on my shortlist, auditioned it several times with the SR25 and it was fantastic. Only reason I didn't get it (yet) is I got an even better deal on a IER-Z1R...
Not sure what MQA specs you're looking for? The Tidal apk lets you choose what Quality (Master, HiFi, High, Normal) you want for streaming and downloads

My only gripe with Tidal apk, which is nothing to do with the SR25, is that every month when my subscription renews, I have to 'touch' every downloaded album to avoid the "Offline page could not be found.... " error...

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #1,340 of 2,745
Can't comment on the DX220 Max, but the SR25 should pair very well with Andro Gold.
Andro 2020 was high on my shortlist, auditioned it several times with the SR25 and it was fantastic. Only reason I didn't get it (yet) is I got an even better deal on a IER-Z1R...
Not sure what MQA specs you're looking for? The Tidal apk lets you choose what Quality (Master, HiFi, High, Normal) you want for streaming and downloads

My only gripe with Tidal apk, which is nothing to do with the SR25, is that every month when my subscription renews, I have to 'touch' every downloaded album to avoid the "Offline page could not be found.... " error...
Thx for your feedback.
What I mean with MQA specs is how many unfoldings can the SR25 perform?
Is the final bitrate displayed somewhere?
Regarding Amazon Music HD I have read that latest firmware doesn't support it anymore?
Last question regarding LDAC: Does it work also in receiver mode , e.g. getting sound from a LDAC enabled Sony stereo system?

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #1,341 of 2,745
Hi folks
Thx in advance!

I also use my SR 25 with my Andromeda 2020. They pair well and sound great together; there’s no noise that I can detect. I just ordered a balanced cable from Campfire to give that a try.

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #1,342 of 2,745
@erich6 @Broquen
Hi folks
I saw your post end of December discussing MQA decoding using Audirvana
As I am looking into buying the SR25 and am using Audirvana on my Ibasso dx220 max I am wondering if you have tried all MQA settings in the software: MQA renderer or MQA decoder and observed what Audirvana is showing as the resulting bit rate on the right side.
I am asking this because Ibasso DAPs are also not correctly detected in Audirvana but can nervertheless do some limited decoding which Audirvana can show in this way.
Can you please try?
Thx in advance!

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #1,343 of 2,745
I also use my SR 25 with my Andromeda 2020. They pair well and sound great together; there’s no noise that I can detect. I just ordered a balanced cable from Campfire to give that a try.
I am not owning SR25 yet but according to the reviews I have read and my own experience with other DAPs going balanced is a significant update!
I am happily using FiiO LC-2.5C cable with my Andro Golds.

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #1,344 of 2,745
What I mean with MQA specs is how many unfoldings can the SR25 perform?
SR25 will do full unfold of MQA up to the original resolution of the file.

Regarding Amazon Music HD I have read that latest firmware doesn't support it anymore?
Amazon Music is supported on the latest firmware.

regarding LDAC: Does it work also in receiver mode , e.g. getting sound from a LDAC enabled Sony stereo system?
SR25 does not have a Bluetooth receive mode.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 22, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #1,345 of 2,745
SR25 will do full unfold of MQA up to the original resolution of the file.

Amazon Music is supported on the latest firmware.

SR25 does not have a Bluetooth receive mode.
Thx alot!
This has ticked enough boxes for me to order it!
And very responsive vendor support here I have to mention!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #1,347 of 2,745
Anyone can help? I don't know if it has enough power to drive 60 ohm IEM and, in balanced mode.
Hi, trying is of course essential and perception is subjective, but I think you should be perfectly ok with the Sr25 in normal unbalanced mode. Your iems have 60 ohms resistance but you have to take also into account sensitivity that I believe is 110 db according to this https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kinera-nanna-2-0-hybrid-electrostatic-iem-updated-2-1-21.24919/

I use the Sr25 with my Etymotic iems that are 45 ohms resistance but have a bit lower sensitivity 104 db, and they work wonderfully with the SR25 in the unbalanced mode. Yours, I believe, should be fine.
All headphones and iems benefit for the balanced mode of the SR25 since it is, to start with, twice as powerful, and, many believe including myself, sounds also somehow better.

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #1,348 of 2,745
Thanks for the suggestion @rlw6534!

@CountXero, I think the power is sufficient since it works when the host is identified correctly. You did get me thinking though and stumble on this:

Now I'm using a direct USB-C to USB-C cable. I ordered an USB-C OTG adapter to which I can then attach the official cable included with the SR25. If the theory above is correct, then that will likely solve the randomness.

Thanks guys!
Just to confirm that adding the extra adapter did the trick! I can now choose the "host" based on whether I put the adapter on my phone side or on the SR25 side.

Grtz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back