Kinera Nanna 2.0 Hybrid Electrostatic IEM UPDATED 2/1/21

Untitssled.png

Kinera - Nanna

1-Year Warranty $899.00

Technical Specifications:
  • Four Driver Hybrid Setup, including one 7mm Dynamic Driver, one Balanced Armature Driver and two Electrostatic Drivers.
  • Sensitivity: 110dB at 1mW
  • Impedance: 60Ω
  • Cable Length: 1.2m
  • Detachable 2 Pin 0.78mm Connector Copper Wire
Brilliant Sound Quality:

The Kinera Nanna has a four-driver hybrid setup that produces outstanding and brilliant sound output with a neutral sound signature.
Unrrtitled.png

Neutral Sound Signature:

With the outstanding tuning, the Kinera Nanna has an amazing and neutral sound signature, with warm and natural mids.There is no peakiness in the tuning, it will be suitable for movies and longer music sessions as it will sound soothing and smooth. With the help of Dynamic Driver, the Bass is good and thumpy, the balanced armature and electrostatic drivers together ensures there is natural mids and smooth treble response with no peaks.

Extensions at Lower and Higher End:

The driver setup provides good extensions at the lower and higher-end, providing good quick bass and smooth instrument details.
Untitlded.png

Pure Copper braided Wire:

The Kinera Nanna comes with a pure copper braided wire which gives smooth sound reproduction and also ensures crisp and wide soundstage that terminates at a 3.5mm plug.The wire uses a 0.78mm 2-pin connector type.

Ergonomic Build Quality:

Then Earpieces of Kinera Nanna are well built with resin covered faceplates, which are very ergonomically designed and provide the best fit.

available: audio46 and hifigo

Latest reviews

500+ Head-Fier
UPDATED 2/1/21 Kinera Nanna 2.0 Hybrid Electrostatic IEM
Pros: The highest praise is warranted, sublime sound signature from top to bottom, construction of IEM is nearly flawless, the packaging is complete and useful with classy leather type carry case, 22 (final edge series tips included: memory foam ear tips, typical rubber like tips), premium 3.5mm TRS stereo copper cable - no microphonics, uncanny front to back depth- wide deep sound stage, bass frequencies between about 60Hz and 250Hz top and blend well from top to bottom, I'm not sure how they managed to captivate me but they do -very much addicted to listening to these like few other IEMs, a sense of cohesion and subjective "rightness" in the sound- addictive, decay (stop start of notes) is near perfect, did I mention the left and right space 3d like with lots of depth, Easy to hear tiny details in the music; articulate. Pleasant high frequency response but never sibilant. Energetic and wide dynamic range
(Did you see their frequency specs of 5-50KHz? WTH) Perceived speed as well as contrasts in volume both large and small. resolving the music seems spot on with tip swapping, engaged me the longest of any IEM I ever tried, love you long time is my thought as I giggle with pleasure- nearly illegal in it's pleasure, (On first listen- mental note: Sell all my other IEMs I never use and put it towards this purchase)
Cons: $900 is a lot of money but warranted and pays off with exceptional SQ and stage above and beyond even double it's asking price making it a bargain for price vs performance. Cable kind of plain Jane looks especially the connectors, cable marking for phase and left right is difficult to figure out/see- so be careful to make sure you mark them, instructions as sparse in explaining wire/tip match- how hard would it be to mark L and R with deep BLUE AND RED PAINT and same on cable? They don't show how special they are unless you have a good amp and good dac (iphone +lightening adapter dac is not an ideal match)
Kinera - Nanna
maxresdefault.jpg

I was not paid one penny for this or any other reviews I do - these are my genuine opinions and thoughts based on my experience being a video and audio producer in the film industry, my experience of being an audiphile since I read my first Stereo Review Magazine and heard my first stereo and of course my love for live concerts so many years ago and plus the fact that I grew up with sound engineers in the studio who were mixing albums at The Mix Palace and Platinum Sound Recording and The Power Station, Electric Lady Studios Studios in NY to name a few. .. the good the bad the ugly all laid out for all to see and for me to be as transparent as possible. I do this and all my reviews for the love of music nothing more.
I should mention right off the bat these IEM's were loaned to me from Audio46 for my honest review- the reason they loaned them to me is because a) I buy a ton of stuff from them usually and b) they read some of my other reviews and liked how I wrote from the heart- so Audio46 for me, are a trusted dealer/store and always treat me so well- especially with returns if I don't like something. I thought why not. Plus I listened/watched Z Reviews on YT a few times on the Kinera Nanna 2... and he went on and on with how much he loved these. Z Reviews for me in the past never was a serious reviewer since most of the time he lacks the vernacular to prove to me why he feels a certain way. So many times I got burned by buying what he claimed was the best for the money or the very best etc ect. To name a few that I can recently recall; I bought the BasX A-100 on his ecstatic emotional review, and after trying it- I wound up returning it within a week. The amp was way too noisy and not sophisticated in stage or sound, it was like a pile of weights. Useless without all the other components to make it useful. It lacked musicality and it wasn't analytical - just brute power and mostly noisy. So neither good for joyful blissful relaxing or suitable for critical reviewing. Same thing goes for Z Reviews enthusiasm with the Monolith Portable Headphone Amplifier and DAC- I wound up returning that because of the same reasons, but more important - it wasn't special and it was just ordinary, plus it had some issues with picking up RF/EMI noise from different phones I used it with. I thought, "a bad suggestion" by Z Reviews- I said at that point, "no more will I buy based on his excitement alone"- but I still love watching his entertaining reviews- and won't stop- he is still awesome in so many ways. But I will be very cautious when buying from now on- I will do my due diligence.
The bad news is as I type these words with these IEMs in my ears and listening to Elton John Someone Saved My Life Tonight and having listened to so many other tracks with the Nanna 2- I am going to blow my mental load and spill the beans- right up front all over this page for all to see- no wasting time right? Yes they are as good as Z Reviews says and then some... I now have to buy them. Okay not such bad news for me or Audio46, or Kinera... but bad news for my pocket. I really was expecting to bang out a review and be done- ah no. Not with these. As many of my followers know from my previous reviews- I only review gear I am interested in or compelled me to spend time in writing my thoughts. It's like really bad food or really really good food- if you are with someone dining out especially family- since I am Italian we always share our verbal thoughts and then absolutely insist they TRY the food. If the food is bad- I usually say 'oh my gosh this food tastes terrible- you have to try it'... and usually my family says 'nah thanks', or some of my more curious family members say ok, let me see if you are crazy- and most of the time if not all the time they say yea that food stinks. It's sometimes a human condition to take ones trusted word for preferences right? Or is it our curiosity to see if it really is that bad, just because they are curious. In this case- my mouth (or ears) are exploding and having what one girlfriend used to say small orgasms in her mouth after trying some delicious food. These IEMs are like dining at a 3 star Michelin Restaurant... Now just when you get that look on your face 'ONLY 3 Stars' - yes 3 Stars is the highest rating by Michelin. To illustrate my point there are just over 120 restaurants across the globe that hold three stars, five of which are in New York. If you knew what it takes to earn 3 stars you would be astonished. When it comes to sound these IEMs are hitting all marks for me. These are not at all your typical IEM at all despite what one other reviewer said- these excel with my Ray Samuels Apache- an example of how amazing these reveal the music when paired with exceptional source and amp. For pure musical bliss and engulfing yourself into the music- these IEMs are my GOAT for now... and haven't found anything this pleasurable at any price for an IEM. Period.

Jumping right into it- these Kinera Nanna 2 IEMs are truly a euphoric experience, a pleasure like very few experiences I can compare, joyful from the very first time I plugged them in. If I had to start off with the first thing that hits me is wow- these are so right so well balanced and quiet. Gorgeous sounding. I can suggest you go find the highest quality recording of Damien Rice 9 Crimes. Use this link below for an example if you like this song- then grab the Amazon Music or Tidal or better yet the actual CD if you can with at least 16bit 44.1khz and you will thank me and you will get it when using the Kinera Nanna 2 compared to anything else I ever heard for this kind of money or even up to $2000 or more- I am truly elated. I could go on and if head-fi allows me I will continue to add to this review as the days go on. For now let’s just enjoy the music- I included all sorts of YT links but suggest you find higher quality if you like these songs- remember it’s all about the music and for right now - I’m in it with these IEMs...
ADDITIONAL: I did try the memory foam tips and preferred the Final Edge Ear Tips which are included- the isolation with the size of the nozzle and the type of tip I used seemed like the best fit for me, and made a nice mate for sound - which is unusual since I always seem to gravitate towards the memory foam as my preference.

thumbeail.jpg

• Impedance: 60Ω
  • Cable Length: 1.2m
  • Detachable 2 Pin 0.78mm Connector Copper Wire

Un2titled.png

Unique Look available in Blue (shown) and Blue Red (Below)

TAKE A BREAK AND JUST LISTEN AND SEE IF YOU LOOSE YOURSELF IN THE MUSIC LIKE I DO WHILE LISTENING TO THE NANNA 2.0

BELOW YOU CAN SEE A NOAH GUNDERSEN VIDEO- AMAZING ARTIST - BUT I AM NOT A FAN OF THE SHURE MIC AND IT'S SO CLEAR WITH THESE IEM's BUT MAN WHAT A GREAT RECORDING OTHER WISE- THE SHURE MIC IS JUST TERRIBLE BUT THE IEMS REVEAL IT SO CLEARLY THAT FLAW IN THE ENGINEER'S CHOICE FOR THAT SINGER- A HUGE MISTAKE- I KNOW GUNDERSEN and HIS VOICE VERY WELL AND THIS MICROPHONE DOES IT NO JUSTICE-AND THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EXCEPTIONAL ENGINEERS AND EXCEPTIONAL IEMs LIKE THE NANNA and ALL THE OTHERS...
WHEN NEEDED THESE THINGS TELL YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE RECORDING-

Untitlded.png

Pure Copper braided Wire: The Kinera Nanna comes with a pure copper braided wire which gives smooth sound reproduction and also ensures crisp and wide soundstage that terminates at a 3.5mm plug.
The wire uses a 0.78mm 2-pin connector type.
Untitssled.png

Accessories:
  • Tips (22)
  • Cleaning tool
  • 3.5mm to 1/4″ adapter
  • Magnetic 'vegan' leather case (feels like real leather)
Cable: single-wire copper cable. Good amount of softness, no micro-phonics-- no complaints.

Connection: flush 2-pin. Very slightly recessed

Build: standard resin build, solid build and look high end

Fit: similar to a custom fit for me; fits very well for my ears - love the colors

Isolation: excellent. Good nozzle length makes for a nice and secure insertion depth.

IMG_3376-2.jpg

2Untitled.png

Company Spec Freq (above)

3471801490_a294b44273_z.jpg

TESTED WITH MY RAY SAMUELS APACHE Version 4 with quad Sparkos ss2590 + ToppingD90
And with iphone + FIIO Q5s

An Excellent Video to mark down- truly reference recording with one of the finest microphones in the world - Playback in 4K

Choose 4K Again for A Drum Solo Extremely Well Recorded by Top Engineers and Mics and Preamps:

TEST YOUR IEM's HERE - AGAIN WORLDS FINEST MICROPHONES AND PREAMPS AND ENGINEERING DONE HERE-I DO NOT LIKE THE SINGER THAT MUCH BUT IT IS AN EXCELLENT TOOL FOR REFERENCE:

MORE REF RECORDINGS:

1Untitled.png

What is included in box (8 tips more not pictured)

22.png

Packaging/presentation- 9.6/10
Clinical Sound: 9.7/10
Pleasurable Sound: 10/10
Revealing of Source: 9.9/10

NOTES: These IEMs are Amp/DAC dependent to excel and show why they are among the best. Using them with an Iphone and lightening DAC makes these IEMs ordinary. You need to feed them some power like an external amp to get the most from these IEMs.
The stock cable is kind of plain jane looking and the connectors could be more premium looking for the money. I did some wire swapping and they do open up more and benefit from better wires. They can benefit from silver wire for a bit more air- it does prove things just get better when you feed these IEMs the best you have to feed em... so there is lots of room to grow- but out of the box- they certainly do impress even with stock cable BUT I need to stress this- the Nanna 2.0 do require an external amp to strut their stuff- so be forewarned garbage in garbage out here- no magic pill here to understand good pairing.

ABOUT ME:
So you know, I have 3 systems at my home- my speakers are Vandersteen 3a Signatures, Magnepan 3.6r and my desk top system which uses SEAS drivers in custom D'Appolito configuration.
I edit videos and film on location for professionals- I mix sound for a living occasionally after I film them in person- sometimes I am handed tracks that are terrible masters but am asked to make videos from them without re-mastering the sound. My IMDB page is https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8127846/
I am not a flake or hard of hearing at all-I get sound tested by my doctor each year or two. I grew up with sound engineers in the studio who were mixing albums at The Mix Palace and Platinum Sound Recording and The Power Station, Electric Lady Studios Studios in NY to name a few. When I like something I will review it such as the Kennerton headphones I reviewed on head-fi before. If I take the time to review something it has to be meaningful- it must have moved me and compelled me to do so- I do not get paid for any reviews. I do this because I care to set the record straight on what I hear and how I felt about a particular piece of equipment.

available from: audio46
thank you! -JM

ONE MORE TUNE TO TUNE OUT BY:

CONTINUED WITH HEIGHTENED SENSES LIKE NEVER BEFORE SINCE I HAVE COVID19 FOR LAST 3 DAYS-

Just got tested yesterday and I am positive w/ Covid19 - still recovering but I can tell you through the worst of this virus- you know when my temps ran 101 and higher - I can stress do not take anything for the fever - monitor your temps and make sure it doesn't go above 103 - if it does then you need to take something for fever- but if you let the fever run it's coarse- you will drastically limit it's ability to multiply and take over quickly- your higher temperature is key to fighting this off in first 48 hours- just my quick advice. Stay in bed sweat it out. Have some good music about and try and tune out like I did.
For me as I mentioned - The Kinera Nanna 2 beat all my less and more expensive IEMs - bottom line they are the most enjoyable fluid and dreamy sounding. I smiled the most and didn't want to stop listening with the Nanna 2. I know this may sound weird- but ears are highly acute with COVID19. Let me try to explain= my ears seem very sensitive to all kinds of details- my dog licking her rope or bone irritated my senses so much since it was amplified like never before. Even her walking across the floor sounded amplified and exaggerated- almost like being on a Foley set. The sounds from the winter storm as I type right now- louder and clearer than I can ever remember- this COVID makes you very sensitive. If that makes sense. So when I plugged in other IEMs for comparison - their faults became apparent or glaringly apparent or if their were no faults at all but rather they just lacked say the realism or 3d vertical and width interest or stage like the Nanna's do - it is apparent. Why do I like the Nannas best of all my other IEMs? Musical involvement. Musical bliss. Muscal engagement and forgetfulness - I lost my self the most in the Nanna's. They are not detail kings and thank goodness for that- the 64Audio U12t are the IEM
's you should want if detail is paramount with their great width and extension- but I never lost myself in the music like I did with the Nanna.The Kinera just seemed more like home. No work required - all genres of music seemed perfect for loosing yourself with the Nanna. As I type I am struggling to make sense- this COVID has a way of changing on you on day three- I can just say- take it for what it's worth- I am in quarantine for 10 days- limited to one part of my home with one bathroom and bound not to come out except when only truly necessary- I can say it's not so bad. This IEM hobby- having the ability to compare so many IEMs while in my bed - and explain all this with intimate detail - you know this journey so to speak- well all I can say is I am blessed. I can tell my body is fighting off the COVID just fine- just a little ups and downs like a mild-severe flu for me- but could have been so much worse. I consider myself very lucky and blessed. Having the ability to mentally escape and 'get away from it all through music' is making it all bearable. Im going to try and sum it up ez-If I were stuck in bed with just one IEM it would be the Kinera for shear pleasure and enjoyment and escapism.
Hope this helps... -JM
Last edited:
John Massaria
I may do a comparison update as I mentioned in the review- I may add to this- right now I have 101.8 temprature -stuck in bed- but I managed to cycled through all 12 IEMs I own as I lay in bed with Fiio Q5s and I can say again these IEMs are my number one go to-I can also say they do not sound great with iPhone and lightening DAC - the 60ohms and electrostatic portion probably need more quality juice- with iphone its as Strifeff7 says meh- maybe he could do a review and not be such a review critic while I recover from my flu
John Massaria
Just got tested yesterday and I am positive w/ Covid19 - still recovering but I can tell you through the worst of this virus- you know when my temps ran 101 and higher - I can stress do not take anything for the fever - monitor your temps and make sure it doesn't go above 103 - then you need to take something for fever- but if you let the fever run it's coarse- you will drastically limit it's ability to multiply and take over quickly- your higher temperature is key to fighting this off in first 48 hours- just my quick advice. Stay in bed sweat it out. Have some good music about and try and tune out like I did. I will add this to the review above- and continue writing and hopefully it will be useful information and make some lucid sense.
John Massaria
weeks later- all better now and feeling awesome - still loving and not regreting the Nanna 2.0 purchase and recommendation

Comments

JAFHIFI90

New Head-Fier
Thanks a lot for the detailed review, by which it seems you are very satisfied with this IEM
In fact, I'm confused about the DUNU DK-4001 and now I'm jumping in front of me Kinera Nanna 2.0. They are the same price with the best package and richer accessories for DUNU, but what matters to me is how well the IEMs sound. Any advice from whomever could heard them?