Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #1,321 of 2,746
Yes, it gets warm. I also think the thermal engineering is faulty or the battery can't handle the use case for extended periods. I use the SR-25 as a DAC extensively and back in Sep 2020 the battery on my SR-25 expanded to the point where it popped the back of the player and it wouldn't shut again (see my previous post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-sr25-the-next-a-norma-player.926918/post-15885866). I promptly got a replacement unit from Crutchfield and was assured by A&K this was not a design issue but an isolated issue. Well, this morning I noticed my replacement SR-25 has the same problem though the battery hasn't expanded as much as my first unit:

IMG_0091.jpg

Oh that's not good. Ouch.

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,322 of 2,746
I own a FiiO M11 and now the SR25.
I am using DAPs so much that I wanted to have a second DAP to use in more "risky" places.
I like my M11 but it started acting up and I decided to use it by the pool, when working in the garage, when mowing the yard, etc.
As a side note, when I use it by the pool I put the DAP inside a sealed plastic bag!
This is a lessons learned since I lost a Sony to the bottom of my pool and that was not a good feeling.
I will use the SR25 as my primary DAP and will be more careful with it. Probably use it in the house or when driving only.
The only issue with this is maintaining the database the same between the two devices.
Good luck with your decision !
Puertex
@Puertex
How does the compare between the M11 and the Sr25? I find that the M11 can sound harsh with some music.

Luis (also from PR)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #1,323 of 2,746
Yes, it gets warm. I also think the thermal engineering is faulty or the battery can't handle the use case for extended periods. I use the SR-25 as a DAC extensively and back in Sep 2020 the battery on my SR-25 expanded to the point where it popped the back of the player and it wouldn't shut again (see my previous post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-sr25-the-next-a-norma-player.926918/post-15885866). I promptly got a replacement unit from Crutchfield and was assured by A&K this was not a design issue but an isolated issue. Well, this morning I noticed my replacement SR-25 has the same problem though the battery hasn't expanded as much as my first unit:

IMG_0091.jpg
How many hours constituted "extended periods" for you?

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #1,325 of 2,746
How many hours constituted "extended periods" for you?
I would say an average of 8 hours of playing a day for about 2-3 days a week (sometimes I may have a full week of this.) That's actual play time. On those days the DAP will remain powered and connected to the PC for about 12 hours. Otherwise, I leave the DAP unplugged and turned off (although I have at times forgotten to unplug and turn off and left it plugged in overnight.)

I should note that it's possible the issue is not a design problem with the device and something specific to my setup. Also, as I think back on when I had it replaced the first time I shipped the old DAP back but sent it with the USB cable that came with the new device. That is, I've been using the A&K-supplied USB cable that came with my first unit. The issue might lie there. Or, just something about the way my PC supplies power to the unit.

At any rate, A&K support so far has been very responsive and I just shipped my device to them for a warranty replacement.

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #1,326 of 2,746
I would say an average of 8 hours of playing a day for about 2-3 days a week (sometimes I may have a full week of this.) That's actual play time. On those days the DAP will remain powered and connected to the PC for about 12 hours. Otherwise, I leave the DAP unplugged and turned off (although I have at times forgotten to unplug and turn off and left it plugged in overnight.)

I should note that it's possible the issue is not a design problem with the device and something specific to my setup. Also, as I think back on when I had it replaced the first time I shipped the old DAP back but sent it with the USB cable that came with the new device. That is, I've been using the A&K-supplied USB cable that came with my first unit. The issue might lie there. Or, just something about the way my PC supplies power to the unit.

At any rate, A&K support so far has been very responsive and I just shipped my device to them for a warranty replacement.
Were you asked to pay for shipping to them yourself?

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #1,327 of 2,746
SR25 is more about overall performance such as size, battery, sound. Sonically is not the best under 1200 €. Also, 850€ is a bit over priced, price in Hong Kong is much lower.
Would you say the SR25 and the Kann Alpha are priced lower in HK than in Singapore? Anywhere I could get a comparison of the prices?

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #1,328 of 2,746
Wanted to see if I can get something confirmed.

Just got the SR25 as I wanted to use Tidal to it's full extent but saw that the Tidal app that is pre installed doesn't support offline use. Downloaded an APK on to it but will this still be outputting MQA files fully unfolded or at least to the same quality of the embedded app?

Cheers for your help guys.

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #1,330 of 2,746
Hi,

I'm connecting the SR25 now and then to my smartphone (OnePlus 8 Pro), using a USB-C to USB-C cable for using the DAC.

Now, I think dependent on the battery level of both devices, it seems that in one moment the SR25 is "master" and sees my phone as an external disk, and I cannot enable the DAC. On other moments it is my phone that is "master" and sees the SR25 as disk, and then I can use the SR25 to switch the modus to external DAC.

I hope my message is clear. Is there any way to have more control over this behavior?

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,331 of 2,746
Hi,

I'm connecting the SR25 now and then to my smartphone (OnePlus 8 Pro), using a USB-C to USB-C cable for using the DAC.

Now, I think dependent on the battery level of both devices, it seems that in one moment the SR25 is "master" and sees my phone as an external disk, and I cannot enable the DAC. On other moments it is my phone that is "master" and sees the SR25 as disk, and then I can use the SR25 to switch the modus to external DAC.

I hope my message is clear. Is there any way to have more control over this behavior?

On the pull-down menu there are icons for "DISK" mode and USB audio. Perhaps this is what you are looking for?

Feb 20, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #1,332 of 2,746
On the pull-down menu there are icons for "DISK" mode and USB audio. Perhaps this is what you are looking for?
Well, I am aware of those indeed but when the SR25 is "master", the DAC/disk button is disabled and it just sees my phone as an external hard drive (the other button is enabled then). The only way of switching master is by unplugging and plugging the cable again, and hope my phone becomes "master" and the button to switch between disk/DAC becomes enabled. Not sure whether I'm making myself too clear, if not I can provide some pics later (not at home now).

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,333 of 2,746
Well, I am aware of those indeed but when the SR25 is "master", the DAC/disk button is disabled and it just sees my phone as an external hard drive (the other button is enabled then). The only way of switching master is by unplugging and plugging the cable again, and hope my phone becomes "master" and the button to switch between disk/DAC becomes enabled. Not sure whether I'm making myself too clear, if not I can provide some pics later (not at home now).

I wasn't sure what you had already tried. Sorry I don't have a more useful suggestion. Good luck in figuring it out. :sunglasses:

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #1,334 of 2,746
Hi,

@blancqua iPhone and iPad seems to output to little power to drive the DAC. This is at least the case with my iPad Pro and I must have a dongle connected to supply the iPad with power from the charger (12-18W) to utilise the SR25 as a DAC. I guess that is why you find this issue battery level dependent. Try to connect a dongle so that you can use a charger connected at the same time.

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #1,335 of 2,746
@blancqua iPhone and iPad seems to output to little power to drive the DAC. This is at least the case with my iPad Pro and I must have a dongle connected to supply the iPad with power from the charger (12-18W) to utilise the SR25 as a DAC. I guess that is why you find this issue battery level dependent. Try to connect a dongle so that you can use a charger connected at the same time.
Thanks for the suggestion @rlw6534!

@CountXero, I think the power is sufficient since it works when the host is identified correctly. You did get me thinking though and stumble on this:

Its the design of the cable, at one end they have implanted simple electronic circuit which stop the current flow from one end which enable the other end to force in the charge..

Now I'm using a direct USB-C to USB-C cable. I ordered an USB-C OTG adapter to which I can then attach the official cable included with the SR25. If the theory above is correct, then that will likely solve the randomness.

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back