Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Sep 7, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #2,116 of 2,747
Hi. I own Etymotic Research ER4SR in-ears, with standard 3.5mm termination. If I understand correctly, the SR25's balanced output is more powerful. Etymotic is now carrying balanced cables - at a pretty reasonable price. I'm not very technical & don't really understand the relationship of impedance, sensitivity, power etc. Are the Etymotic's are considered 'hard to drive' with an impedance of 45 Ohms. Would it be beneficial to switch from SE to BAL with these earphones? What *might* I expect? Also - if anyone can direct me to a site with layman's explanations of some common specs, terms, etc for headphones & DAPs- much appreciated! Thank you!

You are going to get varying opinions here, but the reality is that you don't need balanced for the Ety's. Balanced will play louder, but I can't imagine that you need more volume. Etymotic will be happy to sell you a cable, though... And yes, the ER4SR are somewhat harder to drive than some IEMs but the SR25 should be more than capable single-ended.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #2,117 of 2,747
You are going to get varying opinions here, but the reality is that you don't need balanced for the Ety's. Balanced will play louder, but I can't imagine that you need more volume. Etymotic will be happy to sell you a cable, though... And yes, the ER4SR are somewhat harder to drive than some IEMs but the SR25 should be more than capable single-ended.
Thanks for your input, rlw6534.

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #2,118 of 2,747
Hello I have an astell & kern sr25.
I have no problems with it beside the fact that it shuts off randomly when listening to bluetooth.
It will do this with my sony 1000x3, 2 different cheap bluetooth players and my nad 3045 amplifiet.
Sometimes when it shuts off it will turn on with one push on the onoff button and sometimes I have to press the onoff button many times.
Is anyone experi3ncing the same problems?
Does anyone know how to solve it?

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #2,119 of 2,747
I have no problems with it beside the fact that it shuts off randomly when listening to bluetooth.
It will do this with my sony 1000x3, 2 different cheap bluetooth players and my nad 3045 amplifiet.
Sometimes when it shuts off it will turn on with one push on the onoff button and sometimes I have to press the onoff button many times.
While the SR25 does have Bluetooth capabilites, I think most would agree that Bluetooth is not its forte. Honestly, if you purchased the SR25 for use as a Bluetooth device, you are probably going to continue to be disappointed. Not sure what/which “1000x3” you’re referring to. If it’s the “WH1000XM3, or WH1000XM4”, just use the included cable that came with those headphones.

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #2,121 of 2,747
Its the 1000xm3.
Sometimes when Im home I use bluetooth to be able to change songs. And when Im at friends house its the same.
Anyway if anyone has the same problem and know how to solve it please do let me know. Thank you.
It’s either the, WF1000xm3 (which are the earbuds), or the WH1000xm3 (which are the over-the-ear headphones). I have both, and if I’m using the earbuds, then I just use them with my iphone, never with the SR25. Wish you luck in sorting things/priorities out.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #2,122 of 2,747
In a word no my SR25 playback over Bluetooth is without issue, Might be worth doing a full reset of the player. Same with On/Off the SR25 works as expected with a single push & hold to turn on or off.

Q-6

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #2,124 of 2,747
Ive done that, the full reset, no help there.
If on latest firmware, time to speak with A&K. Might be worth looking at looking at BT congestion with an app on a smart phone.

Q-6

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #2,125 of 2,747
Does QOBUZ work well with the SR25? I am unable to import albums for offline listening. The arrow is greyed out, and the menu option to import does not respond after choosing quality. Already submitted a support ticket to QOBUZ, but was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue. Their official help online is not very helpful at all.

Love my SR25, though.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #2,126 of 2,747
Does QOBUZ work well with the SR25? I am unable to import albums for offline listening. The arrow is greyed out, and the menu option to import does not respond after choosing quality. Already submitted a support ticket to QOBUZ, but was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue. Their official help online is not very helpful at all.

Love my SR25, though.
I haven’t had great success with Qobuz on the SR25 - I can download, but my offline albums don’t actually play offline (I get an error saying I need an internet connection, on fully downloaded albums). One thing that has been recommended is to downgrade to an earlier version - that worked for me, but only for a week or so, and the error returned.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #2,127 of 2,747
I haven’t had great success with Qobuz on the SR25 - I can download, but my offline albums don’t actually play offline (I get an error saying I need an internet connection, on fully downloaded albums). One thing that has been recommended is to downgrade to an earlier version - that worked for me, but only for a week or so, and the error returned.
Believe it or not, that happened to me as well with Tidal, but only when I activated "offline mode." I am sure this won't help you much with Qobuz. At least the albums download for you. I have no such luck-the arrow next to the heart does absolutely *nothing*, and thus I have zero offline albums to click on.

Thanks for letting me know of your bad experience. The tech people of these software companies are not doing a good enough job it seems. It may cost them subscribers, so I am not sure why they do not make it a priority.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #2,128 of 2,747
I uninstalled and reinstalled with new APK version v6.3.0.1, and now am able to import albums for offline use. Perhala I could have just done a simple reinstall of the older version. The app must have bugged out.

A new bug-downloaded albums do not appear in offline library? Will keep testing.

(Should be easier...)

Sep 19, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #2,129 of 2,747
New member, first post.....

Is there a recommended/preferred file structure for an SR25? I've been using a standard Artist->Album(s)->Track(s) structure on the internal storage with just over 1200 tracks in total. I have shuffle play selected. I use my player for gym sessions, 3-4 times a week, 20-40 mins each time and power the player down when done.

I find that the same tracks keep playing on a regular basis, e.g.. tracks A, B & C are played one day then the next time the player is used, at some point tracks A & C or B & C or all three will play and the same again the next time the player is used. This happens regularly so I just click on to the next track as necessary. Is this something with shuffle play that I just have to put up with because I power the player down after each use? I'm going to try all the tracks in the root folder on a memory card (nothing on the internal storage) in case that makes a difference but I suspect not.

TIA.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #2,130 of 2,747
Didn’t realize they used the older 4.2 BT. That kind of sucks. I have plenty of connectivity issues. Better than my older 380cu, but new devices should have up to date connections. JMHO. Love the player overall, but when the signal keeps dropping during songs it pisses me off. No issues with my new Shure 50’s and my computer or iPhone and I have a 6s phone I find that strange.
I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing bluetooth issues. I actually returned my previous SR25 and got it replaced because I believed there had to be something wrong with it, but I still get issues with the new one. My issues are connectivity range and stability. Sometimes, if I'm right next to the source it's beaming audio to and I put my hand over the top of the player, it stutters and cuts out. If I keep it in my pocket and walk around my house with my true wireless IEMs, it works pretty well, BUT, as soon as I go outside with the player in my pocket, it becomes un-listenable. This also happens at the gym which is a use-case where I'd want to go wireless for the convenience, but it cuts in and out to the point of being un-listenable even if I hold the device in my hands. And yes, I understand at a gym, everyone is using bluetooth so there is much more possibility for interference, but if I use my iphone to connect to my wireless IEMs, they connect without any cutouts whatsoever even at decently far distances where the SR25 cuts out no matter where I put the player. I'm surprised this has not been addressed by AK and hopefully something like this can be resolved in a firmware update.

Obviously the main selling point of the SR25 is it's amazing sounding internal gear, but if I then need to carry around my cell phone in order to get functioning bluetooth, you just can't help but think there was a missed opportunity there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back