Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Aug 9, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #2,086 of 2,746
Thanks. I appreciate you digging that up- I found it too… But that is an info article/download portal for drivers for a PC. I am saying I literally don’t have the base drivers on the SR25 device. I am actually missing options in my OS. It’s very weird… Perhaps a device built during COVID, somebody forgot to load it completely?..
If I remember, maybe I can look for them on my device tomorrow. Then maybe PM you and get your email and send them to you. Or Share them through OneDrive or the like.

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #2,088 of 2,746
That would be very appreciated!
I had a thought. How are you going to get the driver files onto the SR25!?! CAn you see the SR25 from your MAC? I don't think using an SD card would work. Not sure if there is any kind of file manager like on an Android cellphone. Have you tried a reset? At least that could be done OTA.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #2,089 of 2,746
Thanks. I appreciate you digging that up- I found it too… But that is an info article/download portal for drivers for a PC. I am saying I literally don’t have the base drivers on the SR25 device. I am actually missing options in my OS. It’s very weird… Perhaps a device built during COVID, somebody forgot to load it completely?..
Did you double check the menus available in the Notification Panel settings?
other than updating the SR25 firmware, I dont think there is any way to install drivers on it as such…

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #2,090 of 2,746
Did you double check the menus available in the Notification Panel settings?
other than updating the SR25 firmware, I dont think there is any way to install drivers on it as such…
Yea, I think he needs to do a Settings reset or a factory reset. Not sure if the firmware update would bring in the driver file again, but he can try that too. I know the new driver version came out in April 2020, so if he hasn't installed the new firmware version 1.54, that may do it. That firmware version was released in June 2021. Even version 1.10 was released in June 2020.

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #2,091 of 2,746
Yea, I think he needs to do a Settings reset or a factory reset. Not sure if the firmware update would bring in the driver file again, but he can try that too. I know the new driver version came out in April 2020, so if he hasn't installed the new firmware version 1.54, that may do it. That firmware version was released in June 2021. Even version 1.10 was released in June 2020.

You aren't going to be able to install USB drivers on a closed, unrooted Android device. I totally agree that all you can do is a factory reset - A&K does not provide firmware for manual loading, so reflashing firmware isn't really an option, unless you send to A&K service.

Maybe try DAC mode on another device, just to be sure it isn't your PC/laptop. It seems highly unlikely that the SR25 firmware is somehow corrupted.

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #2,092 of 2,746
So you've got a Mac, right? If so, there are no drivers to install at all.

Just plug in the USB cable to your Mac, and then "USB Mode" in the pull-down menu lets you change it to USB DAC mode. After that, the SR25 should show up as an audio device, like the Tidal screen shots I shared yesterday.

This is exactly how it works for me. The pull-down USB Mode button is used both for DAC mode and for connecting an external DAC, there aren't two different buttons. If the button says "Disk" it's in MTP mode and needs to be changed by pressing it. Then, on a Mac, just open the "Audio Midi Setup" and select the DAP and the gear icon and choose "use this device for sound output".

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #2,093 of 2,746
You aren't going to be able to install USB drivers on a closed, unrooted Android device. I totally agree that all you can do is a factory reset - A&K does not provide firmware for manual loading, so reflashing firmware isn't really an option, unless you send to A&K service.

Maybe try DAC mode on another device, just to be sure it isn't your PC/laptop. It seems highly unlikely that the SR25 firmware is somehow corrupted.
The USB drivers are stored on the device in a folder (Sr25Contents/Driver). It's a .exe file though. Not sure if you can run that on a MAC. If he does a factory reset, I would imagine it re-installs everything and may bring in the necessary files. But he mentions he doesn't see the USB mode option in the pull down, so I think it's a setting too like you mention (and others). He has something turned off.

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #2,094 of 2,746
@Earbones Try a factory reset if the other suggestions haven't worked for you (notifications panel, toggle MTB, check audio output on MAc is set to SR25). Go to Settings on the device, Scroll all the way down to System Reset.

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,095 of 2,746
The USB drivers are stored on the device in a folder (Sr25Contents/Driver). It's a .exe file though. Not sure if you can run that on a MAC. If he does a factory reset, I would imagine it re-installs everything and may bring in the necessary files. But he mentions he doesn't see the USB mode option in the pull down, so I think it's a setting too like you mention (and others). He has something turned off.

The drivers that are in that folder are for Windows USB 2. A&K simply included them as a convenience (to be copied to the PC). They don't have anything to do with the Android OS and they aren't needed for a Mac. :)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #2,096 of 2,746
Thanks guys… Did a factory reset… Still no joy in Whoville. The necessary options are still no-shows. Had to return the device. Disappointing… Appreciate all the help though!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2,097 of 2,746
Thanks guys… Did a factory reset… Still no joy in Whoville. The necessary options are still no-shows. Had to return the device. Disappointing… Appreciate all the help though!
Sorry to hear you had to return your SR25. I had to return my first SR25 within a couple days of receiving it due to spontaneous crashes. My replacement SR25 has been flawless, well except for some touch-screen anomalies(like touching(or double tapping) the screen's "home" button, and not getting a response right away).
Might want to consider another try. Good luck in your endeavors!

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #2,098 of 2,746
Okay, I'm an idiot, I guess, but what is, Car Mode, on the SR25? The manual doesn't explain anything accept for how to invoke it, or exit from it. I've used, Line Out, to listen to tracks while driving in the car. I'm guessing is something Android related, but A&K makes it seem as though I should already know all about, Car Mode. I'm also guessing that I don't need, Car Mode, but I wouldn't stake my like on it.

Update: Never mind. I found out what it does/is.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #2,099 of 2,746
Okay, I'm an idiot, I guess, but what is, Car Mode, on the SR25? The manual doesn't explain anything accept for how to invoke it, or exit from it. I've used, Line Out, to listen to tracks while driving in the car. I'm guessing is something Android related, but A&K makes it seem as though I should already know all about, Car Mode. I'm also guessing that I don't need, Car Mode, but I wouldn't stake my like on it.
I've never messed with it, but pretty sure it just puts up a simpler UI to be less distracting on the road. I really hope nobody's attempting to use this thing while driving a car, but it would theoretically make doing that at-a-glance easier, similar to what they do with CarPlay and Android Auto.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #2,100 of 2,746
I've never messed with it, but pretty sure it just puts up a simpler UI to be less distracting on the road. I really hope nobody's attempting to use this thing while driving a car, but it would theoretically make doing that at-a-glance easier, similar to what they do with CarPlay and Android Auto.
Nailed it, mis! All it does is flip the displayed info in horizontal mode, larger play/pause buttons, etc. Just visual. Cool, but why they don't explain that in the manual is a good question. Oh well, all's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back