Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Aug 4, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #2,056 of 2,746
A new oddity. I powered up the unit. Went to the embedded Tidal app. Chose an album and pushed play. The music came out at least half speed. I tried another track on the same album and got the same result. Powered off and back on and problem solved. Battery level was 86%. This was the second time this has happened. Anyone else experienced this?
I've experienced the same thing. So weird!!

Aug 4, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #2,057 of 2,746
Does anyone have a whitelisted EQ they use on their S25? I find the built in one to be lacking customization. Anything that allows you to enter the frequencies/number of bands/disable/change filters? All of the recommended ones seem to not be intsallable (UAPP, wave)

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #2,058 of 2,746
Does anyone have a whitelisted EQ they use on their S25? I find the built in one to be lacking customization. Anything that allows you to enter the frequencies/number of bands/disable/change filters? All of the recommended ones seem to not be intsallable (UAPP, wave)
The SR25 has a parametric, though. You should already have what you're looking for.

Don't forget to swipe left and right. Got me the first time, too.

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #2,059 of 2,746
I'm trying to add some EQ from oratory1990 with the harman curve for my clears, Ananda, etc. From what I see, I can't manually input frequences or go higher or lower than -5/5 dB and 2 to 4 Q. Am I just using it wrong? I use EQO with Peace GUI on my desktop, so I'm hoping to get similar tweaking.

From what I see, it has a set number of bands at set frequincies that you can't change and can't set filters such as high shelf/low shelf, etc.

I also thought Roon was compatible with the Astell and Kern devices, but I think it's getting blocked when I try to install it.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #2,060 of 2,746
Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding using the SR25 as a DAC with PCs, tablets, etc…

When connected via USB, will it draw power from the source device?

Is volume controlled via the SR25, the source device, or both?

Does it display the album art?

Apologies if this was covered earlier, 138 pages is a bear to search, ha ha.

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #2,061 of 2,746
Anybody there? So I have answers for all of the above, an Astell rep on here has been helping me.

Wondering if anyone here has success using their SR25 as a DAC with an iPad or MacBook? Despite the apparently well-known fact that this is a feature, nothing in the manual nor in the settings on my SR25 points to this. There is a passage in the manual and settings on my device regarding using the SR25 with a separate external DAC, but nothing for using the SR25 as a DAC…

Can someone who has accomplished this post step by step instructions?

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #2,062 of 2,746
Anybody there? So I have answers for all of the above, an Astell rep on here has been helping me.

Wondering if anyone here has success using their SR25 as a DAC with an iPad or MacBook? Despite the apparently well-known fact that this is a feature, nothing in the manual nor in the settings on my SR25 points to this. There is a passage in the manual and settings on my device regarding using the SR25 with a separate external DAC, but nothing for using the SR25 as a DAC…

I can’t help, but I’m looking forward to answers, myself!

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #2,063 of 2,746

My apologies as well, but I don't run Mac equipment. Assuming you had the required cables, I don't see why it wouldn't work as a DAC on either machine, though. Especially because it doesn't need drivers.

You could try this: once you plug the SR25 into your Macbook, swipe down on the SR25 to get the Quick Settings screen and check your USB mode. There's a toggle setting where one mode allows file transfer and the other enables DAC mode. Maybe it's in file transfer mode on your device.

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #2,064 of 2,746
My apologies as well, but I don't run Mac equipment. Assuming you had the required cables, I don't see why it wouldn't work as a DAC on either machine, though. Especially because it doesn't need drivers.

You could try this: once you plug the SR25 into your Macbook, swipe down on the SR25 to get the Quick Settings screen and check your USB mode. There's a toggle setting where one mode allows file transfer and the other enables DAC mode. Maybe it's in file transfer mode on your device.
Yep, first thing I tried…

Went to settings, USB Mode… “Media Device (MTP)”, which is the default, is selected. Below that is the second option, “DAC Input”. It cannot be selected. Either when the SR25 is connected or unconnected. Tapping it will make a black selection bar appear around it, but that immediately disappears when I lift my finger, and it remains unselected.

Beyond that, it doesn’t appear to have anything to do with using the SR25 as a DAC… The description of DAC Input mode reads “Output music thought USB DAC connected device”… In other words, it appears to be a mode that allows the SR25 to pass music out and into a separate DAC device… Not a mode that allows the SR25 to serve as a DAC for an iPad or PC.

Also, my Tidal doesn’t work. I try to log in and keep getting an authentication failure message. Looked it up, and apparently it was some huge thing a couple of months back that was supposedly fixed with an update. My SR25 is running the latest update version, and yet no Tidal.

So… Is this what living with an A&K is like? Not loving this so far.

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #2,065 of 2,746

Went to settings, USB Mode… “Media Device (MTP)”, which is the default, is selected. Below that is the second option, “DAC Input”. It cannot be selected. Either when the SR25 is connected or unconnected. Tapping it will make a black selection bar appear around it, but that immediately disappears when I lift my finger, and it remains unselected.

Beyond that, it doesn’t appear to have anything to do with using the SR25 as a DAC… The description of DAC Input mode reads “Output music thought USB DAC connected device”… In other words, it appears to be a mode that allows the SR25 to pass music out and into a separate DAC device… Not a mode that allows the SR25 to serve as a DAC for an iPad or PC.

Also, my Tidal doesn’t work. I try to log in and keep getting an authentication failure message. Looked it up, and apparently it was some huge thing a couple of months back that was supposedly fixed with an update. My SR25 is running the latest update version, and yet no Tidal.

It seems like an anomaly, to be honest. Sorry to hear it's happening to you. @JasonNYC any ideas?

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #2,066 of 2,746
It seems like an anomaly, to be honest. Sorry to hear it's happening to you. @JasonNYC any ideas?
That’s the guy I’ve been chatting with PM… nice guy, seems to know a lot. Already asked him via PM, waiting for a response… Figured I’d try the community at large and see if anybody had some ideas in the meantime…

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #2,067 of 2,746

It's a while since I used my SR25 this way, but it definitely does work.

I've got Tidal app on my MBP, when I plug in the USB cable to the SR25, it shows up as a Sound Output in Tidal:
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 4.21.37 pm.png

I recall this was a bit finicky, but if I go into "More settings", and have it like this, it works OK with volume controlled on the SR25:
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 4.26.08 pm.png

tbh, stuffing around with this led me to getting the desktop rig for at-home plug-and-play usage. :dt880smile:

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #2,068 of 2,746
It's a while since I used my SR25 this way, but it definitely does work.

I've got Tidal app on my MBP, when I plug in the USB cable to the SR25, it shows up as a Sound Output in Tidal:
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 4.21.37 pm.png

I recall this was a bit finicky, but if I go into "More settings", and have it like this, it works OK with volume controlled on the SR25:
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 4.26.08 pm.png

tbh, stuffing around with this led me to getting the desktop rig for at-home plug-and-play usage. :dt880smile:
I appreciate that, but I feel it’s a bit of a loophole workaround to get the SR25 to do what it is already capable of doing (allegedly)… DAC mode is supposed to be able to be toggled on or off in the SR25’s settings, not the player program on the connected device. Moreover, I’m on Amazon Music HD and Apple Lossless these days, so this fix wouldn’t work for me, sadly. Thanks for the response though, and I’m glad it worked for you! Although if I am inferring correctly, somewhat shakily, ha ha? Hence the desktop rig?

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #2,070 of 2,746
Hi folks. Quick question. I have at Sr25 and have just bought the new Sony WF-1000xm4 earbuds. i cannot seem to get the Sony Headphones Connect App set up on the SR25 - is there a compatibility issue? Any help gratefully received.
I'm afraid the app you're trying to use isn't one of the whitelisted apps to be run on the SR25, so it won't be possible at the moment. You should, however, still be able to pair via the standard BT settings menu and use the XM4 without the app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back