Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Sep 20, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #2,131 of 2,747
I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing bluetooth issues. I actually returned my previous SR25 and got it replaced because I believed there had to be something wrong with it, but I still get issues with the new one. My issues are connectivity range and stability. Sometimes, if I'm right next to the source it's beaming audio to and I put my hand over the top of the player, it stutters and cuts out. If I keep it in my pocket and walk around my house with my true wireless IEMs, it works pretty well, BUT, as soon as I go outside with the player in my pocket, it becomes un-listenable. This also happens at the gym which is a use-case where I'd want to go wireless for the convenience, but it cuts in and out to the point of being un-listenable even if I hold the device in my hands. And yes, I understand at a gym, everyone is using bluetooth so there is much more possibility for interference, but if I use my iphone to connect to my wireless IEMs, they connect without any cutouts whatsoever even at decently far distances where the SR25 cuts out no matter where I put the player. I'm surprised this has not been addressed by AK and hopefully something like this can be resolved in a firmware update.

Obviously the main selling point of the SR25 is it's amazing sounding internal gear, but if I then need to carry around my cell phone in order to get functioning bluetooth, you just can't help but think there was a missed opportunity there.
You'll find plenty of my own Bluetooth related diatribes going back 12 months or so in this thread, and I almost think the SR25 might be better off without it, as it is just so frustrating to use.

BUT, what the SR25 does do well, that is to play through wired IEMs and headphones, it does very very well indeed. For that I've kept mine and I’m very happy with it. For Bluetooth use cases like the gym or exercise or gardening, I just use my phone along with some of my cheaper IEMs like the BLON on a FiiO Bluetooth lanyard. Works great, I don’t stress over the gear itself, and I remind myself I’ve got plenty of other good listening happening elsewhere…

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,132 of 2,747
Hello, I have an astell & kern sr25 a few months ago they gave it to me and I am very satisfied with the sound quality I am looking for a headset, more precisely in an HD 660s, and I read here that the sr25 has moved a hd600 or a hd 6xx that are 300 ohms twice as much as hd 660s (150 ohms) someone has tried this combination I will need a headphone amplifier if so, what do you recommend, ideally it is portable and around 250 dollars or less. Thank you all

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #2,133 of 2,747
Hello, I have an astell & kern sr25 a few months ago they gave it to me and I am very satisfied with the sound quality I am looking for a headset, more precisely in an HD 660s, and I read here that the sr25 has moved a hd600 or a hd 6xx that are 300 ohms twice as much as hd 660s (150 ohms) someone has tried this combination I will need a headphone amplifier if so, what do you recommend, ideally it is portable and around 250 dollars or less. Thank you all
I'm driving my Audio Technica ATH-R70X (470 ohms!!!) at ease with my SR25 (balanced, volume 60-75)...
Before i was using an external amp (Romi BX2 plus) but, for me (YMMV), it was "overkill"...
Wish u a good search!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #2,134 of 2,747
Indeed I find it drives the R70x really well even with the stock, jump rope, unbalanced cables! Need to invest on some balanced cables for it one day, just for that extra bit of output if needed.

Do have a small, decently powerful portable external amp in case I need it, but rarely I do. Do like using the ALO Audio IEM Rx on ocassion because it makes some IEMs sound really excellent, but the SR25 internal amp is great as-is-good to have several sound signatures as/if needed.

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #2,135 of 2,747
Hi folks,
Today I received a cable USB-C tipe C USB 3.1 to USB 2.0 female OTG with power connection https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01NANIKK1/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It allows me to do two things I wanted to do for a while with the SR25:
1 Connect an external hard disk. This combined with the AKconnect as remote opens a lot of possibilities of connection to stereos. It works wonderfully, I have to say.
2. Check the bit output of Apple Music in the Sr25. I connected my SR25 as usb audio out to a Sony Nwa55L in dac mode. The result is the Sony displays the correct khz when using Apple Music. I change the musical piece and the Sony automatically changes to the correct type of pcm khz. See picture of hires Apple Music.

B3AD006D-A913-4E36-AC37-C5B5C65E8F18.jpeg

2CE8DD5A-5446-4B78-B91E-14BE384CBEF6.jpeg

Sep 30, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #2,137 of 2,747
I have a question regarding Amazon HD Music and the SR25. Does the SR25 check for updates and download/install them automagically, or is that something I have to do periodically via APKPure? My version of Amazon Music is 17.8.5.

You will have to update manually with the latest apk. You can install newer versions over the older and keep your settings.

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #2,139 of 2,747
I bought a SA700 just before sr25 was launched. Yes, it is technically better than sr25 but the better battery life, weight and more recent android o.s. made me buy it when I got a bargain offer on head-fi. No regrets at all, a very nice player and very happy with apple music promotion after apk install.

Edit: I also discovered the convenience of true wireless iem so i got a pair of sony wf-1000xm4. The sr25 can transmit ldac (android 9) which the more expensive SA700 can’t (android 7). It’s all about sending the highest bitrate possible to these phones as they have their own dac chip (so no issue that the dac of the sr25 is inferior to the SA700).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #2,140 of 2,747
Pretty sure am going to buy the SR25 today, but have a couple of questions first.

1. The bit-to-bit playback. Is it easy to put the DAP into bit-to-bit mode? Or is it a case of going to EQ and playing flat?
2. Is the volume EU regulated? Like with my Sony ZX300 if I am running volume over 75dB, every so-many hours it warns me. However I use the ZX300 at about 70dB to 75dB, so no worries. I am not bothered about the DAP warning me about volume levels. In fact I want it to do that so I am never going to damage my hearing. Apparently playing music at 85dB for an hour will cause some permanent hearing damage. ... I am kind of assuming and hoping that volume levels and the dB scale are the same across ZX300 and SR25. Then no matter what, I will never go wrong.
3. Do new SR25 units come in factory sealed boxes?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #2,141 of 2,747
Pretty sure am going to buy the SR25 today, but have a couple of questions first.

1. The bit-to-bit playback. Is it easy to put the DAP into bit-to-bit mode? Or is it a case of going to EQ and playing flat?
2. Is the volume EU regulated? Like with my Sony ZX300 if I am running volume over 75dB, every so-many hours it warns me. However I use the ZX300 at about 70dB to 75dB, so no worries. I am not bothered about the DAP warning me about volume levels. In fact I want it to do that so I am never going to damage my hearing. Apparently playing music at 85dB for an hour will cause some permanent hearing damage. ... I am kind of assuming and hoping that volume levels and the dB scale are the same across ZX300 and SR25. Then no matter what, I will never go wrong.
3. Do new SR25 units come in factory sealed boxes.
HI GreenBow
I will answer what I know.
-There is an option called wheel lock that you can activate in the touch screen. When turned on, the volume wheel will be disabled when the screen is locked.
-About the jeans only thing I can say is that if you use the official case, the touch buttons on the side become useless since one cannot accurately decide where to press.
-There is an optional volume limit warning but no EU limitation like in the Sony players.

The SR25 is in my opinion excellent sound quality and battery life. Many complain of wifi and bluetooth problems. I do not have problems I must say.
Hope it helps!

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #2,142 of 2,747
HI GreenBow
-There is an option called wheel lock that you can activate in the touch screen. When turned on, the volume wheel will be disabled when the screen is locked.
-About the jeans only thing I can say is that if you use the official case, the touch buttons on the side become useless since one cannot accurately decide where to press.
-There is an optional volume limit warning but no EU limitation like in the Sony players.

The SR25 is in my opinion excellent sound quality and battery life. Many complain of wifi and bluetooth problems. I do not have problems I must say.
Hope it helps!
Totally agree with this post. The SR25 is a totally underrated DAP. Personally, the only drawback I’ve experienced with it is the rather diminutive screen. Certainly is a strain to see! Otherwise, the sound is great and great portability on the SR25!

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #2,143 of 2,747
HI GreenBow

Hope it helps!

Yeah I would for sure buy the case. I looked on Amazon, and there are two options. The A&K one offers the most compete protection. It's rather expensive at £60, although I would buy it for full covering of the DAP.

Thank you for answering. Am sure I am OK to go ahead and buy.

As for wireless and bluetooth, I never use either. If I wanted those qualities I might have chosen another DAP. I like the SR25 for its battery life and reported sound quality. (My Sony ZX300 is good, but was beaten in reviews by the A&K Jn. (There's been an A&K 70, 70 mk 2, SR15, and now SR25 since then. All of which improved on the last.)

By the way, my Sony DAP does warn about volume like you said. However it is perfectly OK for turning up even more if you want to. When you do that, it will stop playback maybe every ten hours or so. Have to then press OK and playback continues. (No idea what the time is between when it reminds by stopping playback.) It makes sense that we should be able to add more volume, since some albums are recorded more quietly than others.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #2,144 of 2,747
Totally agree with this post. The SR25 is a totally underrated DAP. Personally, the only drawback I’ve experienced with it is the rather diminutive screen. Certainly is a strain to see! Otherwise, the sound is great and great portability on the SR25!

Why did you call the SR25 underrated? I was of the opinion that it's the best DAP at the price-point. ... I have not seen a negative review of it.

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #2,145 of 2,747
Why did you call the SR25 underrated? I was of the opinion that it's the best DAP at the price-point. ... I have not seen a negative review of it.
Not my best choice of word! Maybe I’d call the SR25 “overlooked” as newer, small/er/ish DAP’s come out. A&K often gets harpooned because they were one of, if not, THE first luxury/high-end “music-only” player. The SR25 is an excellent DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back