Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Dec 13, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #2,506 of 2,727
But is the wifi in the SR25 better? I know the Fiio M11 is a bit better but still not a smartphone!
Anyway, good luck with shopping.
When this is your first dap I would go for the SR15, Great sound, for this price now I'm sure it's hard to beat.
You can find out if you like it, use it, and what you might miss.
Selling for a nice price can not be a problem, you won't loose a lot.
After this you can buy a better or more atractive to you dap if you like it.
I've seen people who used it for a week or a few weeks and stopped using it due all kind of reasons. That is a waste of money.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #2,507 of 2,727
I am the very happy owner of a Sr25. Fantastic sound quality and excellent battery life. Small and portable. Very good line out. Unfortunately its weakest point is the wifi. For me it works very well at short distance from the source, same room or adjacent. I use it like that for hours without problems to stream Apple Music or to stream my flac files from my pc (it does not work so well with very large files like DSD). If you move further away then you can have cuts and loose the connection. Happy hunting!

Dec 13, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #2,508 of 2,727
I am the very happy owner of a Sr25. Fantastic sound quality and excellent battery life. Small and portable. Very good line out. Unfortunately its weakest point is the wifi. For me it works very well at short distance from the source, same room or adjacent. I use it like that for hours without problems to stream Apple Music or to stream my flac files from my pc (it does not work so well with very large files like DSD). If you move further away then you can have cuts and loose the connection. Happy hunting!

Thanks, both! I will probably go ahead with the SR25 even though I’d expect that the next generation of product will get streaming/Wi-Fi right. I’ll also keep my iPad/dragonfly DAC combination to fall back on. I recently upgraded the Wi-Fi in my house to a mesh network and the reception has been excellent for the other devices. So maybe there’s hope…

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #2,510 of 2,727
Hello all,

I just have a quick question. So I bought my first A&K with the SR15, on sale with the new SR25 out.

My question is about MQA, I loaded up Tidal, and the settings have "Master", but how can I tell if MQA is working? I read on an earlier post that there is a light when playing it back, but I don't see one (and I've tried downloading songs first and streaming, neither one indicates anything about MQA)

Also, MQA is only available on downloaded music from Tidal, correct?

Thanks again and I'm very happy to join the A&K family!

Dec 17, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #2,511 of 2,727
Hello all,

I just have a quick question. So I bought my first A&K with the SR15, on sale with the new SR25 out.

My question is about MQA, I loaded up Tidal, and the settings have "Master", but how can I tell if MQA is working? I read on an earlier post that there is a light when playing it back, but I don't see one (and I've tried downloading songs first and streaming, neither one indicates anything about MQA)

Also, MQA is only available on downloaded music from Tidal, correct?

Thanks again and I'm very happy to join the A&K family!
If this is the side loaded Tidal apk, you can go into the app's settings and select Quality for both Streaming and Download. If Master is selected, the app will choose MQA version if its available, or downgrade to next best available, which is always HiFi in my experience..

When you are playing back, if you tap on the song you are playing, it will show you Normal vs HiFi vs Master, and the colour of the progress bar changes. Blue is HiFi, orange is Master..

Dec 17, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #2,512 of 2,727
Ok managed to install Spotify from another apk website. The one in apkpure apparently is corrupted?
But still wanna find out is it normal to have 2 Tidal apps in the SR15 when I installed the latest Tidal to "update"?
1 is the pre-installed version which can't be deleted together with Deezer while the other is the updated Tidal which can be deleted
Would you mind sharing the APK source, I’ve been trying everything. One source installed but then kept hitting itself down. A lot of frustration trying to get this working.

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #2,513 of 2,727
We simply don't know whether the 2,5" output is just "bridged" from the 3,5" (in that case the delivered voltage will be identically) or it is a purely balanced say doubled circuitry (in that case the delivered voltage is twice the 3,5"). I severally doubt it is pure balanced and when I listen with my adapter A/B the one vs the other I can not recognize any difference not in loudness, not in SQ.

IMG_20200711_134548690.jpg
where did you get this cable?

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2,514 of 2,727
Anyone know that Sr15 support optical or coax output? I remembered that the older model of A&K do support optical out from 3.5mm jack. But didn't see it on the spec of SR15/SR25

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #2,516 of 2,727
Hi, I'm really late to the game. Though I loved the SR15 form factor, I had put off looking at adding one to my collection as I felt it was too pricey. But I recently discovered that not long after the price drop, the SR15 was discontinued, and all of a sudden all the retailers had no more stocks. What the heck happened? Did AK recall all stocks to push out the SR25? Some of us might want to get the SR15 as it costs half the price of the SR25 now. I find the sudden zero stocks situation very puzzling.

I do see some SR15s on Ali, but are these with CN firmware and therefore only with a mandarin interface?

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #2,519 of 2,727
Hi all

I’m trying to install the tidal xapk so I can download my playlists. I’ve installed the xapk installer, followed the Moon Audio tutorial, added the latest tidal xapk (armeabi-v7a) into the open service folder.
Every time I select to install the tidal app I get a parsing error then the device endlessly sticks on the installing screen until I force stop by shutting down.

Any help or ideas how I get round the parsing error?

Many thanks all.

Dec 29, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #2,520 of 2,727
Hi all

I’m trying to install the tidal xapk so I can download my playlists. I’ve installed the xapk installer, followed the Moon Audio tutorial, added the latest tidal xapk (armeabi-v7a) into the open service folder.
Every time I select to install the tidal app I get a parsing error then the device endlessly sticks on the installing screen until I force stop by shutting down.

Any help or ideas how I get round the parsing error?

Many thanks all.

Here is a repackaged version that can be installed directly as an apk. This is only for armeabi-v7a devices.

<link removed>

Update:
It appears that this version (2.35) does not work on the SR-15...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back