Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Apr 24, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #2,297 of 2,727
If it does not turn on, it's broken. Kaputt. In this case the owner should take it to his / her retailer. If it's under warranty, good. If not, maybe it can be repaired. What is Jason / AK supposed to do? Release a firmware that can't be installed anyway because the device refuses to turn on?

As it turned out, if one keeps trying, and holding the button down long enough, eventually it goes on.

Not thrilled, but it does consistently finally turn on.

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #2,299 of 2,727
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #2,300 of 2,727
Hope someone will be able to help me. I am getting a lot of crackling (like a scratched record) noise when I connect my SR15 to a Cambridge Audio streamer. Connection is using a micro USB OTG (ifi) cable connected to SR15 which is connected to an Audioquest cable (USB A to B) which in turn connects to the Cambridge Audio. Noise only audible while music is playing. Appreciate your help. Thanks

May 3, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #2,304 of 2,727
Does Sr15 play an MQA file?

Yes. It definitely plays MQA files that are stored locally. I only have seen it unfold up to 24bit 96khz but it may unfold farther than that. A blue dot shows if it is MQA Studio and a green dot shows otherwise for indicating provenance. The built in tidal player definitely is optimized and passes its MQA Master Info on to the DAC for further unfolding. I question whether the sideloaded open service version does though. There is a distinct sound difference to my ears which tells me that Android SRC comes into play for the sideloaded streaming apps. Hope that helps!
890A045B-02D3-4575-A63C-C0A2BD784A76.jpeg

May 4, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #2,306 of 2,727
Hope someone will be able to help me. I am getting a lot of crackling (like a scratched record) noise when I connect my SR15 to a Cambridge Audio streamer. Connection is using a micro USB OTG (ifi) cable connected to SR15 which is connected to an Audioquest cable (USB A to B) which in turn connects to the Cambridge Audio. Noise only audible while music is playing. Appreciate your help. Thanks

Sorry I can't help with a solution but I hear something similar from the USB out. When navigating the UI and most notably switching the screen on/off I hear crackling - started since the most recent firmware update, how about yourself?

And while I am here, if the SR15 turns off with something plugged into the USB out, when I turn it on again no sound is produced at all - from either the USB out of headphone outs.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #2,307 of 2,727
Sorry I can't help with a solution but I hear something similar from the USB out. When navigating the UI and most notably switching the screen on/off I hear crackling - started since the most recent firmware update, how about yourself?

Thanks Kenji1066. Appreciate your reply. This was the first time I tried connecting the SR15 to an external DAC through USB audio. The crackle is constant while playing any track on SR15 including Tidal. Its strange because I can connect my phone through the same set up and it works flawlessly. I am hoping that JasonNYC (A&K) will be able to give me some pointers on what the issue might be.

May 4, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #2,308 of 2,727
Have you tried using a different cable?

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 4, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #2,309 of 2,727
Hello all,

Received an SR15 today as a birthday gift and whilst I am chuffed in general, I have a major issue - bluetooth volume is tragically low.

I am using B&W PX7s and have turned off the volume limiter and updated the firmware which didn't make much of a difference. Am I missing something here as I cannot believe I need to go to max for a medium output level. Using the audio cable is much better but I do like using BT and frankly should be able to with a device of this calibre.

Any/all help greatly received! Thank you.

S.

May 4, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #2,310 of 2,727
Hello all,

Received an SR15 today as a birthday gift and whilst I am chuffed in general, I have a major issue - bluetooth volume is tragically low.

I am using B&W PX7s and have turned off the volume limiter and updated the firmware which didn't make much of a difference. Am I missing something here as I cannot believe I need to go to max for a medium output level. Using the audio cable is much better but I do like using BT and frankly should be able to with a device of this calibre.

Any/all help greatly received! Thank you.

S.

this may sound stupid, but did you try to raise the volume from the headphone itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back