Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Apr 15, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #2,281 of 2,727
He everyone, hope you're all keeping well during these interesting times. One thing I have recebtly noticed is that when listening through my Mojo plugged into the usb out, when locking the screen using the power button I hear some buzzing. Is anyone else able to reproduce the issue? Cheers, Kenji

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #2,282 of 2,727
Hello,

I am looking for some thoughts, opinions and advice. I have ways had an interest in enjoying music at the highest Quality possible but budget Constraints have left me behind.

Recently I've decided I would like a digital audio player and narrowed my search down to 3 options.

1. The cowon plrenue D2. Which seemed to be well regarded for its sound quality. (I've since decided against it for the common UI issues and lag) I can handle minor quirks but think in spite of the great sound quality this would feel disappointing.

2. The Astell & Kern SR15, apparently this DAP sounds amazing. I've heard people complain about the display resolution but with a quad core chip I imagine the user experience would be quite slick and the ability to stream spotify would be great. I know everyone here is probably partial to tidal instead but for Hi quality music I'd rather buy physical and convert it, or use my own vinyl rips. I also favor the unusual aesthetic.

3. Hiby R6 pro, this device also look great and I've heard good things about the audio from the original R6. However there seems to be a bit of a walled garden around the R6 with only 1 or 2 reputable sites talking about it in press release and reviews. I like a good spread of opinions to make an informed judgement. Also I just want a good music player. I dont need full fat android on a DAP I have a galaxy note 9 that would outperform it on everything apart from Audio quality. So wouldn't A small DAC with the note 9 be better than this given I'd rather not have androids distractions on my player.

I cant try these players anywhere prior to purchase so looking for some help making a good choice. I am also quite fond of the idea of the overpriced AK CD ripper mk 2. I think I this Would be a great Way to start building up a good archive of my CDs to FLAC.

Lastly IEM's I've not got a huge budget but from all the reviews I've studied I have shortlisted the Shure 425 as a good starting point? Thoughts.

This is my first post here, and i have very limited knowledge of audiophile hifi Equipment. I'm looking for great sound, reproduced from my vinyl and CD collection and the ability to stream spotify.

This is my first post on here although I have read many of the posts as a non member, i appreciate everyone's in put as this is what has brought me here. Sorry if my post was a bit too long.

Thanks in advance Velocita

Hi,

I may be 'bout to get SR15. But I'm someone who cares about screen resolution. As far as I can see from video reviews, the screen resolution looks pretty good. And actually I didn't see a comment that users in the forum complained about screen resolution. Just the opposite I read most of the people love screen resolution and said better than competitors. Do you have a chance to say where you see people complain about screen resolution?

Thank you in advance, this is an important thing to me.

Apr 19, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #2,283 of 2,727
Hi,

I may be 'bout to get SR15. But I'm someone who cares about screen resolution. As far as I can see from video reviews, the screen resolution looks pretty good. And actually I didn't see a comment that users in the forum complained about screen resolution. Just the opposite I read most of the people love screen resolution and said better than competitors. Do you have a chance to say where you see people complain about screen resolution?

Thank you in advance, this is an important thing to me.

.screen resolution is nice
but this is a small screen on a small device so doubt you can notice much difference when you just scrolling through album art etc

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #2,284 of 2,727
.screen resolution is nice
but this is a small screen on a small device so doubt you can notice much difference when you just scrolling through album art etc
Thank you. Yeah i know but I'm a person with some strange obsessions :beyersmile: I'm just wonder where the people complain, because i didn't see it. So I thought it'll be good topost a message on this page.

Anyway, so as I see, everyone loves the screen resolution. I think I can sleep well now...

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #2,285 of 2,727
Thank you. Yeah i know but I'm a person with some strange obsessions :beyersmile: I'm just wonder where the people complain, because i didn't see it. So I thought it'll be good topost a message on this page.

Anyway, so as I see, everyone loves the screen resolution. I think I can sleep well now...
Well, just don’t expect anything close to smartphone experience. Sad but true!

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #2,286 of 2,727
Good morning :)

I would like to share some thoughts on the SR15, since they may help someone that was undecided like me.

I will not comment on the WiFi, apps and other amenities since I don’t use them.

My player until yesterday was the Pioneer XDP30. Great player, double SD card Sabre ES9018C2M DACs and a pair of ES9601 amplifiers chips, Bluetooth, balanced output, good battery. It substituted a Fiio X1 II that never satisfied me.

I was quite happy with the Pioneer especially because it always worked flawlessly. Very fast in scanning the library, perfect gapless, good Bluetooth connection. However, you know, we always want to know if there is something more in terms of sound. Therefore, after evaluating some used AK70 MKII I decided to wait for the right opportunity to get the SR15.

I got it on Amazon warehouse for 400 £ and just after using it a bit yesterday, I couldn’t be happier.

Yes, it looks and feels premium, much more premium than the Pioneer. That is not the point of the comparison, but you know it’s a cool feeling. Screen resolution, materials, buttons, jack ports, everything is better.

General system speed is the same if not a bit worse, but the SR15 UI has Apple's buttery smooth feeling. The pioneer is quicker in turning on and scanning the library (much quicker in scanning the library). Anyway, by throwing my 128gb Sandisk straight from the Pioneer to the SR15 everything was recognized without problems.

Comparing the functionalities. I finally found something that I was looking for from ages in a DAP: the ability to add songs to the queue. It was a function that I had 10 years ago on my Creative Zen Sleek, and I never understood why it was absent on the X1, the Pioneer and many other players. Another super nice addition is the search function and the ability to play by genre. For some mysterious reasons in the Pioneer you cannot play all the songs of a given genre, it forces you to select an artist after the genre selection. Continuing, I heard about people complaining about the SR15 EQ. I found it spectacular, even superior to the Pioneer, with a wonderful fine-tune control across all the frequencies. I honestly do not use it much, but it is nice to have it. Something missing compared to the XDP is the possibility of quickly adjusting the bass level, but again I never used this function. Another thing present in the SR15 is the L/R channel adjustment, absent in the Pioneer. Finally, the Pioneer was becoming sometimes really warm only with the Bluetooth on. The SR15 is generally always warmer, especially when scanning the library, but nothing too extreme.

Coming to the sound, I started using the B&W P9, did a lot of A/B and I could hear a difference. It is subtle but it is there. In general, the sound is more engaging. The bass is more present but in a good way, punchier and more controlled. The busy metal tracks I'm used to listening to are now clearer in the midrange frequencies. To explain it in a different way, it is the same feeling I experienced when adding a good headphone amplifier to full-sized cans. Coming to the soundstage, I would say it is equal comparing the two DAPs, maybe slightly narrower in the SR15. However, instrument separation is better. I wish there was even more soundstage, instrument separation and air when moving from the XDP30, but it was not the case. Maybe with the SE100, who knows…

Anyway, it sounds better. It is difficult to explain since is the general feeling I had. Everything sounds more moving. The violins, the voice of the singer… Maybe it is due to increased micro details, I don’t know.

With the balanced output (tested with the Sure 846), these differences are even more evident. There was a drumroll in a track that I never noticed before, that simply put a big smile on my face. I know you can understand the feeling. Listening again to the same track with the XDP30, I was now able to notice this drumroll, but it was far more submerged by the other instruments.

Finally, I was also shocked to hear similar differences with the Bluetooth. I don’t know how and if this is possible since I always thought that in that case, the DAC used is the one in the headphone. But again, A/B, the difference was there. The BT range is equal if not slightly better than the XDP30 that is already fairly good.

Concluding, if you don’t have/want to invest 400 or more in a DAP and you find the XDP30 for 200 £ (like I did in the past) just grab it. It sounds good and it is a nice, fast and reliable player. However, since we want always something more, if you can, invest in the SR15. It’s a nice step up in terms of sounds and features, especially for 400 £.

Tonight I’ll try the line out with the A20, but I’m sure I’ll not be disappointed :)

I’m in your shoes - having and loving the XDP30 and thinking about the SR15 - after reading your impression, I decided to skip it. For 600€+ the difference seems to be minimal, bad ROI (return on investment)

If the XDP30 retires its commission, the SR15 might well be its successor (I reall don’t like the current XDP version design) - once the current virus situation is over, I am off to Tokyo and e-earphones :)

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #2,287 of 2,727
Well, just don’t expect anything close to smartphone experience. Sad but true!
No no, I definitely not expect. I'm aware of that. But also I don't want a screen where I can count the pixels :floatsmile: Anyway there is no problem at all i think, user comments and video reviews etc. shows me screen resolution is nice. What you think? I'm curious bout your opinion too

Apr 20, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #2,288 of 2,727
No no, I definitely not expect. I'm aware of that. But also I don't want a screen where I can count the pixels :floatsmile: Anyway there is no problem at all i think, user comments and video reviews etc. shows me screen resolution is nice. What you think? I'm curious bout your opinion too

Hi! I agree with other people here that screen itself is too small to see pixels etc. So resolution is ok for the size!
Though, to be honest, I did not find the SR15 screen has particularly good quality. Actually in direct comparison I found it a bit worse than the screen of my ZX507 - and that already is quite a lot worse than my smartphone`s screen.
Unfortunately this still is very common with many DAPs. For general usage it is fine, just discovering music via streaming services on it is not so much of a pleasure.
I love the SR15s small form factor and sound very much, though! :)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #2,289 of 2,727
Hi! I agree with other people here that screen itself is too small to see pixels etc. So resolution is ok for the size!
Though, to be honest, I did not find the SR15 screen has particularly good quality. Actually in direct comparison I found it a bit worse than the screen of my ZX507 - and that already is quite a lot worse than my smartphone`s screen.
Unfortunately this still is very common with many DAPs. For general usage it is fine, just discovering music via streaming services on it is not so much of a pleasure.
I love the SR15s small form factor and sound very much, though! :)
Thank you for your reply. I'm aware of it can't give the same pleasure as smart phones so there is no problem for me. As long as I don't count the pixels, there's no problem. :L3000::L3000:

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #2,290 of 2,727
I finally finished reading the whole thread.
I purchased a SR15 last week, but won’t see it until I return home in early July as I am working interstate.
Also purchased a pair of Hyla CE-5 iem’s to use with it.
Both purchased second hand.

Sound quality is the most important requirement for me, so look forward to hearing the combo.
It will replace a Fiio X3 II I purchased a few years back.

My plans for use are pretty basic; transfer flac files from my external hard drive (usually used in my hi-fi system via connection to DAC) and possibly Tidal.
Main use is for when out and about, as I have a decent system at home, as well as a headphone amp with a pair of ZMF Omni closed headphones should I require head fi late at night.

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #2,291 of 2,727
I just got min yesterday and I am super happy with it. I do agree with the screen size, smaller than I expected, BUT that's my old age! I really like it and for my first DAP, is amazing!

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #2,292 of 2,727
The screen size is not an issue if all you do is listen to music on the device. I can't speak to how that works with streaming services. It is a bit of a fiddle if you want to create playlists on the go.

Speaking of which, has anyone here managed to successfully transfer playlists to their SR15's? I tried both Winamp, which just kept crashing, and MusicBee, which transferred the m3u files and the music, but the m3u files on the player were empty so I'd have to manually add the music and sort it on the player, which really isn't a fun thing to do, see my comment on screen size. Am I missing anything there? Glancing at this thread, this seems to be an ongoing issue...

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,293 of 2,727
The screen size is not an issue if all you do is listen to music on the device. I can't speak to how that works with streaming services. It is a bit of a fiddle if you want to create playlists on the go.

Speaking of which, has anyone here managed to successfully transfer playlists to their SR15's? I tried both Winamp, which just kept crashing, and MusicBee, which transferred the m3u files and the music, but the m3u files on the player were empty so I'd have to manually add the music and sort it on the player, which really isn't a fun thing to do, see my comment on screen size. Am I missing anything there? Glancing at this thread, this seems to be an ongoing issue...

This is true, I just have eye sight problems.

Does anybody know if Pandora is available for install? Can't find it anywhere :frowning2:

Apr 22, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #2,294 of 2,727
Update: I found a few APK's but they wont appear on the sr15 for install..

Can anybody pm me a good working source.

TIA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back