Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jan 6, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #2,086 of 2,727
Unfortunately, no way to downgrade to an older version of firmware.

Found this within the thread for those interested in rolling back the v1.33 firmware... looks like you cant :/

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #2,088 of 2,727
Hi, I am having problems getting tidal to work offline. I only have iOS devices,is it the apk I need to download and replace it with the version of tidal that came with my sr15?

Thanks
The version of Tidal already on the SR15 will not work with offline files, it will only stream. To download files for offline play, you need to download the apk from https://apkpure.com and then load it onto the SR15 - Instructions from the A&K website to side load apk files are at https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/content/support/faq/view.asp?li=1000606

Forgot to add, that you will end up with two versions of Tidal on your SR15, see the pic below (note the pic is of a SP1000M)

Attachments

• Services.jpg
    Services.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #2,093 of 2,727
Hey, new to this thread. Anyone here who shifted to or added DX160 to his collection. How does SR15 compare to DX160. Especially pairing with sensitive IEMs such as Andromeda.

Thanks

Jan 7, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #2,094 of 2,727
Hi everyone, just got myself a pair of Astell & Kern Billie Jean in blue due to an Amazon deal! Together with the Sr15 they realy sound great just out of the box without any burn in time ... wow. If you like I will keep you informed how they develope.

Hey, just following up to confirm your thoughts and experience on sound quality with this combination (Billie Jean and SR15)? Looking to pick up this combination in a package deal for about $800 USD, which sounds like a decent deal to me, though curious on thoughts on pricing. Are you using the balanced cable that came with the BJ's or a different cable?

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #2,095 of 2,727
I cannot comment on the Billie Jean, but I am week 2 into using the SR15 and the Diana's. I am not very good at articulating lows, med, highs, soundstage etc, but what I can say is the sound is amazing! The Diana (and I assume the Billie Jean) comes in a 2.5 balanced jack, but also comes with a 3,5 converter. I much prefer the sound of the balanced 2.5, after trying out both.
I have tried some much cheaper headphones, Sound Magic E11. Also used wirelessly, Bose QC35 II and Bose SoundSport headphones (for the gym). While all the headphones actually sound quite good (to my ears), it moves it up a level using the Diana's with the SR15. It is certainly a world apart from the Bose and my phone!
For what it is worth, The AK SR15 combined with the AK Diana headphones is an amazing listen; I am re-discovering my music once again :)
Just my 2 cents.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #2,096 of 2,727
I cannot comment on the Billie Jean, but I am week 2 into using the SR15 and the Diana's. I am not very good at articulating lows, med, highs, soundstage etc, but what I can say is the sound is amazing! The Diana (and I assume the Billie Jean) comes in a 2.5 balanced jack, but also comes with a 3,5 converter. I much prefer the sound of the balanced 2.5, after trying out both.
I have tried some much cheaper headphones, Sound Magic E11. Also used wirelessly, Bose QC35 II and Bose SoundSport headphones (for the gym). While all the headphones actually sound quite good (to my ears), it moves it up a level using the Diana's with the SR15. It is certainly a world apart from the Bose and my phone!
For what it is worth, The AK SR15 combined with the AK Diana headphones is an amazing listen; I am re-discovering my music once again :)
Just my 2 cents.

Appreciate the response and detailed breakdown! If I am not mistaking, Billie Jean is Diana's younger sister, so while not a 1:1 comparison, it's really good to read this feedback. Think I am going to pull the trigger on this combo, was also contemplating an M11Pro, but the size is just not something I'd be comfortable carrying (primary use case is a 45 min commute on the train each way, a mile walk in the city each way and some weekend listening at home while doing chores or working on the truck)

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #2,097 of 2,727
I obtained a new device (SR15) at a Christmas special price, I am more than happy and satisfied with this little player, performance wise. WiFi streaming is secure and has a rather good range, unit temperature increase is perfectly acceptable during streaming, battery time is OK. Bluetooth AptX HD range with the WH-1000XM2 exceeds 15 meters in closed areas which is more than expected, whatever other opinions say about the wireless range. The line-out has enough power to drive large impedance headphones, My T1 MK2 would need a little more juice but at the 2V setting is still usable. My only sadness is Audirvana's total failure when I try to use it in USB DAC mode. Anyone knows a solution about it please? THX.

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #2,098 of 2,727
Appreciate the response and detailed breakdown! If I am not mistaking, Billie Jean is Diana's younger sister, so while not a 1:1 comparison, it's really good to read this feedback. Think I am going to pull the trigger on this combo, was also contemplating an M11Pro, but the size is just not something I'd be comfortable carrying (primary use case is a 45 min commute on the train each way, a mile walk in the city each way and some weekend listening at home while doing chores or working on the truck)

I am using the SR15 combined with the Billie Jean. It is here also a great combo. So, it is certainly a great idea to buy these in-ears. You will be very happy :). I have the Purple ones, so I play it in balanced. The sound is airy, energetic and the SR15 brings some warmth in these (just a thouch of brigtness in ears). It is a great listening!

Then. I have listened to the Billie Jeans of mine this week with the M11 (& Pro). And also together with the Diana!

As the Billie Jean follows the source signature very well it is deff. another listen and signature experience here. You can hear a subtile diff. between M11 and the M11 pro. Bass is better controled on the M11 pro. But back to the SR15 brings more emotion in your music. I mean it is the AK house sound what gets you involved. The FiiO is indeed a more flat listening and brings you a touch more details. So, yeah not bad at all either. I can't name this or the other one is better. Signatures are to different here and it is what you are after. I had the ZX300 as well, where I still do think that these one is in the middle of M11 and SR15.

In conclusion from my opinion. If you go for FiiO, then Pro. M11 is the most Bright one of the three and that will not be my pick. But again, that is personal taste.

And finnally, the Diana's are diff enough to have both! So I will wait for a good deal myself. To get these as well gives you diff sig with absolutely stunning sound. With the Diana you have a Fuller midsection and bass is tighter. It is maybe the Pro of the Billie Jean :wink: more layering and it will be more of a musical and critical listening, so very enjoyable as well.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #2,099 of 2,727
Does anyone know if this player would be able to sufficiently power an HD 800S or an Abyss Diana v2?

Sometimes I feel that my M11 is just too big even though I can palm a basketball :wink:

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #2,100 of 2,727
I am using the SR15 combined with the Billie Jean. It is here also a great combo. So, it is certainly a great idea to buy these in-ears. You will be very happy :). I have the Purple ones, so I play it in balanced. The sound is airy, energetic and the SR15 brings some warmth in these (just a thouch of brigtness in ears). It is a great listening!

Then. I have listened to the Billie Jeans of mine this week with the M11 (& Pro). And also together with the Diana!

As the Billie Jean follows the source signature very well it is deff. another listen and signature experience here. You can hear a subtile diff. between M11 and the M11 pro. Bass is better controled on the M11 pro. But back to the SR15 brings more emotion in your music. I mean it is the AK house sound what gets you involved. The FiiO is indeed a more flat listening and brings you a touch more details. So, yeah not bad at all either. I can't name this or the other one is better. Signatures are to different here and it is what you are after. I had the ZX300 as well, where I still do think that these one is in the middle of M11 and SR15.

In conclusion from my opinion. If you go for FiiO, then Pro. M11 is the most Bright one of the three and that will not be my pick. But again, that is personal taste.

And finnally, the Diana's are diff enough to have both! So I will wait for a good deal myself. To get these as well gives you diff sig with absolutely stunning sound. With the Diana you have a Fuller midsection and bass is tighter. It is maybe the Pro of the Billie Jean :wink: more layering and it will be more of a musical and critical listening, so very enjoyable as well.

Very much appreciate this detailed feedback and comparison, exactly what I was hoping for! Fortunately, I live in North NJ, not too far from NYC and I plan to visit B&H tomorrow morning to have a listen at both the M11 Pro & SR15. Due to the size differences, I am certainly leaning towards the SR15, but don’t want to jump the gun without seeing and testing both.

I had a listen yesterday to a FIIO FA7 iem paired with FIIO M9 and wasn’t really impressed (though this could be a result of the M9 being the source, but the FA7 is easy to drive). I had contemplated these as well in addition to the Billie Jean, but I think my mind is set on the BJ’s after the listening session.

The Diana’s are currently out of my budget, though I’d certainly be interested in potential discounts or sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back