Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jan 1, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #2,074 of 2,727
I am still unable to use my SR15 as a source that connects via USB to my Sennheiser HDV820. When I plug the USB into the SR15, the External USB icon shows USB Output, and the volume is fixed at 150, as expected. However, there is no sound, and this used to work fine before the latest update. I have reset the SR15 with the same result. Any ideas...?

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #2,075 of 2,727
Encountering the same issues, the Beyerdynamic Impacto Essential DAC does not work with the SR15 as well (recognized but no sound output; hangs as well). Only got the Chord Mojo to work via external USB. Btw, is there a trick in accessing the top toolbox? Always have to tap/drag down multiple times just to get it right.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #2,076 of 2,727
Sound feelings after almost 1 year of use (with EQ: off and 3,5mm output):

Signature - Warmer/Darker
Soundstage - I start with this, because DAP soundstage is the most important thing for me. Norma SR15 has a 3D soundstage. It is holographic with good deep and height and very close to head. SR15 is not for people looking for a wide soundstage placed in front of you.
Bass - Tight and quick. Quality is excellent, quantity is right. No sub-bass boominess, no mid-bass muddiness. This bass is not for bassheads.
Mids - Transparent and warmer. I feel a bit of reserve at the upper-mids.
Heights - Very detailed but not overwhelming. Lower-heights, which provide clarity is pushed forward (maybe this is the reason for a such close soundstage). After that the volume of treble is lowered a bit.

So, because I like female vocals and higher pitched instruments, signature of SR15 in this pure state is not for me.
But when I turn on the EQ to NORMAL, many things change …

When EQ is on NORMAL, I'm finally happy with the SR15 sound. :gs1000smile: It lighten the Midrange and Treble. But the most valuable change is much more wider and further Soundstage. (And only guys from A&K knows what else.)

Why didn't I know that before? ... I normally don't use EQ.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #2,077 of 2,727
Anyone any idea how to reach AK for support?
Im currently evaluating an AK SR15 DAP because I am looking for something smaller. I had one question however. I have some albums that do not have single separate track files but instead have all tracks bundled together in one FLAC file. My FIIO M11 PRO correctly recognizes the individual songs inside the single FLAC file. The SR15 does not recognize that and does not display individual songs inside this FLAC file. It only is capable to play the single flac file in its entirety .

So I have tried three mail addresses that I googled from AK asking whether or not this could potentially be something that they could fix in a future update..

The only response I am getting however is that I should not try and reach AK via those addresses. Instead I was given a new address (which ironically is the return address I am getting these responses from) . This new address however remains silent when it cones to answering my question .

A bit odd that AK is very snappy when it comes to pointing out that one uses a wrong email address, but completely unresponsive when it comes to actually answering a query ..

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #2,078 of 2,727
In addtion to that, it seems that my SR15 has some difficulties powering up. It usually responds well to the power button. But when I have not used it for longer periods, a couple of days for instance, I first need to connect it to a charger in order to get it to respond. Strangely enough this happpens even though the battery has more than enough load....

Anyone any clues?

Jan 3, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,079 of 2,727
In addtion to that, it seems that my SR15 has some difficulties powering up. It usually responds well to the power button. But when I have not used it for longer periods, a couple of days for instance, I first need to connect it to a charger in order to get it to respond. Strangely enough this happpens even though the battery has more than enough load....

Anyone any clues?

Also think I am having the same issue. I noticed this last week and put it down to battery. Going to revert back to the previous version and do some testing.

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #2,080 of 2,727
Also think I am having the same issue. I noticed this last week and put it down to battery. Going to revert back to the previous version and do some testing.

Is it possible to roll back to a previous firmware?

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #2,082 of 2,727
I noticed this recently too. I have my SR15 for over a year now and was thinking the power button is failing. But thinking about it, it started happening after the latest upgrade.

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #2,083 of 2,727
Anyone any idea how to reach AK for support?
Im currently evaluating an AK SR15 DAP because I am looking for something smaller. I had one question however. I have some albums that do not have single separate track files but instead have all tracks bundled together in one FLAC file. My FIIO M11 PRO correctly recognizes the individual songs inside the single FLAC file. The SR15 does not recognize that and does not display individual songs inside this FLAC file. It only is capable to play the single flac file in its entirety .

So I have tried three mail addresses that I googled from AK asking whether or not this could potentially be something that they could fix in a future update..

The only response I am getting however is that I should not try and reach AK via those addresses. Instead I was given a new address (which ironically is the return address I am getting these responses from) . This new address however remains silent when it cones to answering my question .

A bit odd that AK is very snappy when it comes to pointing out that one uses a wrong email address, but completely unresponsive when it comes to actually answering a query ..

@JasonNYC is great about responding in the forums. I suspect he's still enjoying the New Year's holiday and may take a few days to catch up on the forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back