Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Dec 20, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #2,042 of 2,727
as in proper feature updates been none since January this year.

Yeah, especially as there has been multiple features announced as being in the works (Roon support, Last.fm scrobbling) and then they haven't come to fruition. My player was £500, that is a large amount of money to invest in a piece of technology and I would expect the level of service to match that.

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #2,044 of 2,727
I bought my SR15 in January 2018 on the promise of Roon. I needed a portable Roon endpoint to feed my Chord Hugo2 and since Roon on the SR15 was promised as imminent I bought one rather than wait for the Chord 2Go for Hugo2 which seemed to be another piece of over promised vaporware at that point. Almost a year later and still no Roon on the SR15 and endless speculation on the 2Go. As a stop gap I bought a Fiio M6 as it was purported to run Roon which it does but didn’t play well when using the digital output. Fiio eventually fixed it but overall as a DAP and Roon end point, the experience is quite poor.

2019 has been a very frustrating ‘headfi’ year for me. Over promising companies and under delivering beta level products seems to be the state of the market just now :frowning2:

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #2,045 of 2,727
I will say though, that as a traditional DAP, the SR15 is superb and on the rare occasions I need tunes on the go and can be bothered to load tunes onto a card I do really enjoy it.

It just seems a bit old skool transferring tracks from a NAS library to an SD card that way having been immersed in streaming services for the last few years. Off line Tidal (something else the little M6 has been able to do for a year) for outdoors and portable Roon endpoint when in the house are the use cases that make most sense to me.

Until then it’s nice piece of outdated technology.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #2,046 of 2,727
I will say though, that as a traditional DAP, the SR15 is superb and on the rare occasions I need tunes on the go and can be bothered to load tunes onto a card I do really enjoy it.

It just seems a bit old skool transferring tracks from a NAS library to an SD card that way having been immersed in streaming services for the last few years. Off line Tidal (something else the little M6 has been able to do for a year) for outdoors and portable Roon endpoint when in the house are the use cases that make most sense to me.

Until then it’s nice piece of outdated technology.

Do you mean that offline Tidal does not work either? Only Tidal streaming?

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #2,047 of 2,727
The SR-15 is nice DAP, and sounds very well, but I bought in September a Hiby R5, and allthough its sound is a little behind the R5, it is much more easer and fun to use, so I am using it, more than the SR15. The implementation of the R5 is very good fo me. Another thing is that I can use the R5 as a USB DAC with Audirvana, but I the SR-15 doesn´t work with Audirvana, I have tried it in 3 different computers.
I also use a lot Tidal, and in the R5 I don´t have to play with apks, just upgrades Tidal using the Play store.

Dec 20, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #2,049 of 2,727
Offline Tidsl works fine, as numerous posts on this thread can confirm. I have 180 Gigs downloaded, never had a problem

I'm still more than happy with my SR15.
What APK version are you on? Upgrading to 2.20.0 broke things completely, I had to delete and install 2.19.0 instead which meant downloading everything again. I bought the SR15 based on their Open App Service for Tidal (offline) which no longer supports the latest builds so I’m stuck at 2.19.0. It’s been almost a year since the last firmware update, I’m not holding out much hope for this being fixed soon.

Dec 20, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #2,050 of 2,727
What APK version are you on? Upgrading to 2.20.0 broke things completely, I had to delete and install 2.19.0 instead which meant downloading everything again. I bought the SR15 based on their Open App Service for Tidal (offline) which no longer supports the latest builds so I’m stuck at 2.19.0. It’s been almost a year since the last firmware update, I’m not holding out much hope for this being fixed soon.

2.19. Was aware of the problems with 2.20, hence I didn't update.

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #2,051 of 2,727
If the APK Pure file for Spotify is corrupted could someone recommend an alternative to APK Pure so I can load a good version onto the SR15 please?

I have tried searching for alternatives on google and then checking reviews but something is niggling me about choosing one of them as the reviews look like I used to see for dodgy websites...

Does anyone use Qobuz on their SR15? I have been using it but have had a lot of small issues with response and using off line music... sometimes I get no response when selecting buttons like back etc and when I go to use off line playlists sometimes they aren’t there or the playlist itself opens but there are no tracks... I tried unloading the app and reinstalling and also tried different SD cards and then re-downloading my music... I have tried this a few times now... I also get some tracks on the playlist showing as downloaded but with no title it just says’null’ I then try re-importing that track and nothing happens so I try removing from off line library and I still cannot import it back although I am given the option...

I am not an Android user so I have no idea where to find a reliable site to recommend a reliable APK download site...

How much of a drain does the battery have when downloading on WiFi (with a strong signal) ? I can see the power percentage drop around every couple of minutes... it’s a new model... so battery should not be weak from use...

Thanks
Anyone find a reliable apk for spotify?

Dec 21, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #2,052 of 2,727
i have given up on my sr15 and possibly AK as a whole, finding other brands dap options now, cause i highly rely on fast booting dap and tidal offline tracking

Dec 21, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #2,053 of 2,727
Hmmm .. I actually just bought one ... To arrive next Tuesday just before Christmas .. Not sure if I should return it then ... Am a Roon, Qobuz and Tidal user .. Especially Tidal for its MQA format ..
if u are a streamer like most of us who are disappointed, return them, BUT if you do sd card tracks it might be good

Dec 21, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #2,054 of 2,727
Hello

The Chord Mojo makes a very good complement to the SR15,

I don't notice the difference in sound of this combination with the Poly-Mojo, and it is more functional and easier to use, the SR15 software is very good

Very curious as to the point of connecting the Mojo DAC(amp) to a DAP especially as the SR15 has two high quality DAC’s built in and a headphone amp. Surely bypassing the internal digital analogue conversion of the SR15 defeats the purpose of owning it? Can someone explain the benefit. I was looking at buying some Grado 325e headphones which are low impedance and don’t require an amp but wanted a DAC to use with my phone, I have an SR15 and don’t see the logic in connecting it to an external DAC??

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #2,055 of 2,727
I have been using my SR15 with offline Tidal via APK for months with no issues whatsoever. More recently, I use it at home as a source for my Sennheiser HD800S and HDV820. I do wish the native Tidal had offline mode, but the APK process is so simple its not really a big issue for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back