Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Apr 6, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #1,471 of 2,727
I am sure that the bigger part of the improvements came from the better amplification of the balanced output (if you used SE cable previoudly) not the quality of the cable itself. The sound of the different outputs on my SP1000 sound competely different with the same stock cables of my JH Angies.

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #1,475 of 2,727
So got the SR15 and the Shure SE535 in ear monitors. The DAP is amazing. The IEMs also however I found the cable to be irritating and so went ahead and purchased an 8 core balanced cable.

Now to be honest I've always thought cables were just cables and never believed that they would make a huge difference. Now I dont want to sound ridiculous here but I've notoce the following since switching to the balanced cable.

1. The volume for comfortable listening for me has dropped from 70's to 50's using the balanced cable.

2. The bass seems was more apparent than before.

Is this even possible? Or are my ears playing tricks with me...

Well first of all the balanced out has more power than the 3.5 out, and second the positive and neutral/negative (DC) each have their own ground in the circuit instead of a common ground which helps conductivity.

So there is quite a difference inherently in the balanced out with 2 dacs each with with their own balanced circuit. AK's balanced outs do sound especially good. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #1,477 of 2,727
anyone tried using balanced IEM while using it on desktop USB as DAC? im asking this cause i dont have a 2.5mm amp, but wanna use it on my pc, will the volume controls work?

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #1,478 of 2,727
anyone tried using balanced IEM while using it on desktop USB as DAC? im asking this cause i dont have a 2.5mm amp, but wanna use it on my pc, will the volume controls work?
Hi I am using this combo. My Aroma have 2.5 3.5 & 4.4mm and using 2.5mm. To me the sq is heavenly.
IMG-20190406-WA0002.jpg

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #1,479 of 2,727
Hi I am using this combo. My Aroma have 2.5 3.5 & 4.4mm and using 2.5mm. To me the sq is heavenly.
i mean using the 2.5mm output of SR15 itself on PC

Apr 6, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #1,480 of 2,727
@JasonNYC does the sr15 support sbc codec cause my car player only runs sbc, have the sr15 paired but doesnt stream audio into it

Apr 7, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #1,481 of 2,727
How is the SR15 nowadays? Is it worth getting over the Hiby R6 Pro?

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #1,482 of 2,727
Been enjoying my SR15, but an audio shop near me had a flash sale on the SE100 for 1k, sooo I now own a SE100 and am listening to it through Grado GH2 as I type this. It sounds a bit bright and edgy right now but I'm sure it will settle down with some play time. So far the SR15 sounds better haha.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,485 of 2,727
So got the SR15 and the Shure SE535 in ear monitors. The DAP is amazing. The IEMs also however I found the cable to be irritating and so went ahead and purchased an 8 core balanced cable.

Now to be honest I've always thought cables were just cables and never believed that they would make a huge difference. Now I dont want to sound ridiculous here but I've notoce the following since switching to the balanced cable.

1. The volume for comfortable listening for me has dropped from 70's to 50's using the balanced cable.

2. The bass seems was more apparent than before.

Is this even possible? Or are my ears playing tricks with me...

I also had the 535's which I had used with my iPhone and iPod quite happily for a few years. However once I got my SR15 i started to become aware of their limitations. I switched to balanced cables too - in my case Fiio LC2.5C and that improved things massively, but in some ways made the 535's main limitation, i.e. a lack of low end, more obvious. I've used Shures for a long time so decided to stick with the brand and got a set of 846's to try. There is a huge difference in price between these and the 535's so I was nervous but I bought from Amazon so they could be returned if the jump in SQ was not commensurate with the jump in cost. Needless to say, they stayed - they are a remarkable leap up - and the SR15 now really shines.

I'm not a basshead by any means but I like to hear what should be in the music and having listened to the same tracks on my home system I knew what was missing with the 535's - the mids and highs sounded great to me (with my old ears!) but the bottom end was weak - I was constantly fiddling with tips to try to fix that. I now have spent way more than I ever planned to on my mobile listening but have never once regretted it - still blows me away six months down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back