Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Apr 8, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,486 of 2,727
I also had the 535's which I had used with my iPhone and iPod quite happily for a few years. However once I got my SR15 i started to become aware of their limitations. I switched to balanced cables too - in my case Fiio LC2.5C and that improved things massively, but in some ways made the 535's main limitation, i.e. a lack of low end, more obvious. I've used Shures for a long time so decided to stick with the brand and got a set of 846's to try. There is a huge difference in price between these and the 535's so I was nervous but I bought from Amazon so they could be returned if the jump in SQ was not commensurate with the jump in cost. Needless to say, they stayed - they are a remarkable leap up - and the SR15 now really shines.

I'm not a basshead by any means but I like to hear what should be in the music and having listened to the same tracks on my home system I knew what was missing with the 535's - the mids and highs sounded great to me (with my old ears!) but the bottom end was weak - I was constantly fiddling with tips to try to fix that. I now have spent way more than I ever planned to on my mobile listening but have never once regretted it - still blows me away six months down the line.

Apr 8, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,487 of 2,727
Enjoying the device a lot
Not a huge deal but does anyone else feel a bit let down by A&K’s decision to release a case for the SR15 that leaves the front completely open?
I would much rather have the flap fold down over/ around the front screen and fully contain and protect the device on all sides.
Yes I’ve applied the plastic screen protector. It seems wholly inadequate as an approach for the sr15 and it’s loftier cousins
I’ve taken to carrying it around in a soft Oakley sunglasses bag... not brilliant

Apr 8, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,488 of 2,727
I wish I could have gone for the higher end model also, although I have the red Ltd 535s and I cant say they are lacking anywhere for my ears.

I feel like theres always something better, for me at the moment this is by far the best portable set up I've ever had. Once I've enjoyed it for quite some time I may look at other IEMs but I'm currently very pleased with the 535s out of the box with the exception of the stick cable which I replaced with a balanced one purely for comfort. However I've noticed they perform far better with the balanced output and that the bass is better from that output also.

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #1,489 of 2,727
Enjoying the device a lot
Not a huge deal but does anyone else feel a bit let down by A&K’s decision to release a case for the SR15 that leaves the front completely open?
I would much rather have the flap fold down over/ around the front screen and fully contain and protect the device on all sides.
Yes I’ve applied the plastic screen protector. It seems wholly inadequate as an approach for the sr15 and it’s loftier cousins
I’ve taken to carrying it around in a soft Oakley sunglasses bag... not brilliant

I don't own this setup yet but I will try to procure this later on and will report back when I am able to obtain this for sure.

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #1,490 of 2,727
Hello all! I would like to ask, maybe someone here has such an experience: how would you compare the sound quality between sr15, onkyo dpx-1/pioneer xdp-300r, hiby r6 pro? Im now in possession of a pioneer 300r and Im really happy with the sound quality from balanced output. There are only two issues which bother me: first is that the jacks in pionner are not very long-lasting and the second one is that the sound dynamics are on the polite side. Everything else is great but I started considering a change. So now Im interested in sr15. Someone? Thank you in advance.

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #1,491 of 2,727
Hello all! I would like to ask, maybe someone here has such an experience: how would you compare the sound quality between sr15, onkyo dpx-1/pioneer xdp-300r, hiby r6 pro? Im now in possession of a pioneer 300r and Im really happy with the sound quality from balanced output. There are only two issues which bother me: first is that the jacks in pionner are not very long-lasting and the second one is that the sound dynamics are on the polite side. Everything else is great but I started considering a change. So now Im interested in sr15. Someone? Thank you in advance.

The polite sound you are referring to is a result of the lower power integrated sabre amps used in the 300r, Sony daps also had a similar issue until the WM1 series, but they are still not quite as powerful as some other daps. The SR15 will resolve that issue as it is quite powerful at 4v balanced which creates nice dynamics.

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #1,492 of 2,727

Hello, don't know anything about pioneer, and r6 pro, but I liked the SR15's sound better than the warmer softer regular r6. And I can tell you the jacks are rock solid on the SR15 and the dynamics are really good- not soft.

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #1,493 of 2,727
Thank you for the fast reply! Yeah thats what i thought about the amp section. Ive read somewhere that onkyo dpx-1 (so the pioneer 300r as well) has wider soundstage than sr15- this was the opinion of the owner of both devices. Can someone confirm this? Actually staging, imaging and detail are the very strong assets of the pioneer. If its not true and norma has a stage as wide, i will probably get sr15. But please i really would like to get honest opinions from people who really tried these devices.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #1,494 of 2,727
Yeah, i didnt hear many positive things about old r6. The problem is that the pioneer sounds so good from balanced output (the same level as qpr2 from se and I tried both after reading that pionieer reaches the level of questyle when the balanced mode is used). But norma is smaller, more portable, has great design and this dynamics...

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #1,495 of 2,727
Thank you for the fast reply! Yeah thats what i thought about the amp section. Ive read somewhere that onkyo dpx-1 (so the pioneer 300r as well) has wider soundstage than sr15- this was the opinion of the owner of both devices. Can someone confirm this? Actually staging, imaging and detail are the very strong assets of the pioneer. If its not true and norma has a stage as wide, i will probably get sr15. But please i really would like to get honest opinions from people who really tried these devices.

I sold the DP-X1 since I got ibasso DX200TI then I got SR15 which has the SQ of my taste.
I didn’t have problem with the 2.5 jack of DP-X1 before but for sure I remember its SQ which couldn’t beat the SR15.

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,496 of 2,727
anyone have successfully used MQS streaming server on PC to play audio on the SR15?

Apr 10, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,497 of 2,727
okay so i tried to use as USB DAC on pc, but playing audio on it will normally cause this situation: buzz buzz - pop - sound goes normal

why is that? tried a couple ways to do it but no go

Apr 10, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #1,498 of 2,727
okay so i tried to use as USB DAC on pc, but playing audio on it will normally cause this situation: buzz buzz - pop - sound goes normal

why is that? tried a couple ways to do it but no go
Finally someone with same issue!!!
Sorry for you but good for me so James can have another source for this error.
Windows 10?

Apr 10, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #1,499 of 2,727
Finally someone with same issue!!!
Sorry for you but good for me so James can have another source for this error.
Windows 10?
windows 10
onboard usb 2 and 3 tried
multiple usb cable tested

Apr 10, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #1,500 of 2,727
Hey people - is anyone else experiencing a serious slowdown on the embedded Tidal app? It was pretty fast even streaming “Masters” but lately no matter where I use the Norma - home WiFi, work WiFi ... Internet and connectivity solid - Tidal just bogs! Takes forever to search - song gaps are gigantic and it takes far longer for album art to load. It’s a significant change from where it was - what the heck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back