Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Dec 11, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #571 of 2,727
Dec 11, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #572 of 2,727
Dec 11, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #573 of 2,727
1. What is the quality of the WiFi receiver in the SR15? In my use case it'll be placed about 20 feet away from my WiFi router with two walls in the way, which has both 2GHz and 5GHz capability. Will the SR15 have any issues locking on to a decent signal at this range for audio (Tidal) streaming?

I've been streaming Tidal from my dual band router that's upstairs, well over 20 feet away, and I haven't had any major issues. There's been an occasional delay (1-2 seconds) for the stream to start.

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #574 of 2,727
One tip I have discovered to avoid skipping problems when playing from sdcard:

Upon booting, wait for all activity to stop in the Android status bar at the top of the screen. You will see “Scanning media...” and then the sdcard icon will appear, and then “Scanning media...” again briefly, and then the satus bar should settle down. If I start trying to use the device before this is all finished, I get random skipping during playback. I assume some operation on the sdcard gets stuck if not properly completed before other operations attempt to access it.
Hopefully this will be addressed by the new firmware update coming out tonight.
if not, maybe its the SD card itself? is it a fast one ? is it U3 30MB/s transfer? im sure other factors come into play.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #575 of 2,727
Hopefully this will be addressed by the new firmware update coming out tonight.
if not, maybe its the SD card itself? is it a fast one ? is it U3 30MB/s transfer? im sure other factors come into play.

Yes, any sdcard is going to have problems with multiple operations occurring at once. Mine is a Samsung Evo+ 256GB.

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #577 of 2,727
Yes, any sdcard is going to have problems with multiple operations occurring at once. Mine is a Samsung Evo+ 256GB.
I'm going to be upgrading mine to sandisk extreme pro 256gb when i get the SR15. hopefully will keep all my music fast and good :)

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #578 of 2,727
I have seen a few posts here questioning whether the SR15 is better than an iPhone or not so I will offer my opinion.

I own an SR15 and an iPhone XS. I also own a set of Audeze iSine20s which come with an in-line Lightening cable DAC.

The earphones come with a standard 3.5mm cable too, with no in-line DAC, so it offers a very good opportunity to compare the SR15 with just a standard cable and an iPhone with an additional DAC.

Using the iSine 20s with the iPhone is fantastic in comparison to any other headsets I have used with an iPhone. I was more than happy with how everything sounded and often used this combination over taking out heavier over-ear headsets when at home and feeling lazy!

When I got my hands on the SR15 I was interested to see how it performed with the iSine20s but I wasn’t expecting too much of a difference. I was wrong though and the difference is substantial. I felt like the iSine20s came alive when paired to the SR15. The soundstage expanded and there was far great detail at higher frequencies.

While sound is of course subjective and down to people’s taste, I don’t honestly believe someone who blind tested each setup would pick the iPhone over the SR15. I haven’t tried LG’s new phones and have heard they are quite good but for me anyway, not having any distractions using something like the SR15 over a smartphone lets me get lost in the sound of music and not the sound of tweets/emails/messages coming in!

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #579 of 2,727
New firmware update will be released tomorrow afternoon, December 12th Korea time that will add MQA to the SR15. There will also be a number of bug fixes and OS optimizations in the new firmware. North American owners should see the firmware available late night tonight, December 11th. https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/ne...test-line-of-high-resolution-portable-players
Hi Jason,
I appear to have a problem and I hope
You can help
I’m having a problem loading music onto the sd card, it starts to load and then stops and says unable to load a certain track then it totally loses communication.
The only way I can get it to see it again is to reboot the SR15.
I’ve deleted all the content off the card and retried several times but the same problem.
I’ve found a workaround for the moment by putting the card in my Walkman and using that to load the music, I’m just concerned that there is a problem with the player because it’s only a week old.

Thanks Andy

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #580 of 2,727
Hi Jason,
I appear to have a problem and I hope
You can help
I’m having a problem loading music onto the sd card, it starts to load and then stops and says unable to load a certain track then it totally loses communication.
The only way I can get it to see it again is to reboot the SR15.
I’ve deleted all the content off the card and retried several times but the same problem.
I’ve found a workaround for the moment by putting the card in my Walkman and using that to load the music, I’m just concerned that there is a problem with the player because it’s only a week old.

Thanks Andy
@abone You are using a Mac with Android File Transfer, correct?

Android File Transfer tends to hang when copying over large amount of files. Unfortunately, since MacOS does not include native support for Android-based devices, you need a third party app to use.

I would suggest first formatting the microSD card as FAT32. You can do this from the player - settings -> System information -> Erase SD card or use a third party app.

Copy an album or two at a time if you are using Android File Transfer or you can use a microSD card reader to connect directly to the Mac to copy files to.

Our Mac users in the office here use Commander One Pro. It's a paid app in the Mac App Store. I believe it is under $30. It is a more robust file transfer program and works really well with Android devices and large file transfers.

For 2019, we are working on providing better options than AFT for Mac users.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #581 of 2,727
I have seen a few posts here questioning whether the SR15 is better than an iPhone or not so I will offer my opinion.

I own an SR15 and an iPhone XS. I also own a set of Audeze iSine20s which come with an in-line Lightening cable DAC.

The earphones come with a standard 3.5mm cable too, with no in-line DAC, so it offers a very good opportunity to compare the SR15 with just a standard cable and an iPhone with an additional DAC.

Using the iSine 20s with the iPhone is fantastic in comparison to any other headsets I have used with an iPhone. I was more than happy with how everything sounded and often used this combination over taking out heavier over-ear headsets when at home and feeling lazy!

When I got my hands on the SR15 I was interested to see how it performed with the iSine20s but I wasn’t expecting too much of a difference. I was wrong though and the difference is substantial. I felt like the iSine20s came alive when paired to the SR15. The soundstage expanded and there was far great detail at higher frequencies.

While sound is of course subjective and down to people’s taste, I don’t honestly believe someone who blind tested each setup would pick the iPhone over the SR15. I haven’t tried LG’s new phones and have heard they are quite good but for me anyway, not having any distractions using something like the SR15 over a smartphone lets me get lost in the sound of music and not the sound of tweets/emails/messages coming in!

The iPhone isn’t in the same league as the SR15 let alone most of the other daps I have on hand.

As you noted the Sound stage is more holographic ( instruments each have their own distinct 3D space as per the mastering ) and huge compared to the flat stage of the iPhone. Everything is presented in great detail effortlessly with the Norma. The dynamics and energy of the tracks are better on the Norma also.

And this is just with the SE on the Norma, not even using the balanced which is better in a couple of areas over the SE.

And sound is subjective, but the diffence between the iPhone and Norma is so easily apparent it’s not even debatable.

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #582 of 2,727
@abone You are using a Mac with Android File Transfer, correct?

Android File Transfer tends to hang when copying over large amount of files. Unfortunately, since MacOS does not include native support for Android-based devices, you need a third party app to use.

I would suggest first formatting the microSD card as FAT32. You can do this from the player - settings -> System information -> Erase SD card or use a third party app.

Copy an album or two at a time if you are using Android File Transfer or you can use a microSD card reader to connect directly to the Mac to copy files to.

Our Mac users in the office here use Commander One Pro. It's a paid app in the Mac App Store. I believe it is under $30. It is a more robust file transfer program and works really well with Android devices and large file transfers.

For 2019, we are working on providing better options than AFT for Mac users.
Hi Jason, yes using a Mac.
I don’t mind popping the card in the Walkman until I get a dedicated card reader My main concern was that there may be a problem with the player but if this is quite normal using android file transfer I’m cool with that.

Thanks again for your help

By the way it sounds amazing

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #583 of 2,727

I completely agree with your assessment. I've had the SR15 already for several months and every single flight a take it's a joy! I travel with lots of electronics, including an iFi xDSD and still when listening to music I use only my SR15.

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #584 of 2,727
Yes, this is normal behavior

The virtual back button cannot be closed when using apps as a back button is required to be present in a number of Android apps and that is hard-coded into the apps themselves to look for the back button. The back button can be moved to another area of the screen

I've had the same issues with certain versions of Tidal on my Samsung S9. What version of the Tidal app are you currently running?

Hi Jason, thanks for you answer. Awesome to have you on the thread - other brands should take note...

Re: the R/L balance, is there a reason why it would not work through line out? It works with an iPhone connected to an external dac via CCK.
Re: back button, too bad!
Re: Tidal signal drops, I am using v2.9.11

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #585 of 2,727
@Taz777
I'll reply as best as I can
1. The sr15 seems to have a harder time catching signal compared to iPhone. You need to try.
2. I can't notice any interference between the sr15 and my DAC, while I can with the iPhone (presumably because of cellular signal)
3. I understand this is not possible. Another member asked a similar question a few posts before.
4. There is an iOS app called AK connect, for you to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back