Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Dec 7, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #497 of 2,727
Hi all. Need a new DAP to go with my incoming AKG N5005s, upgrading - hopefully - from a rooted and loud LG V30 and AKG N40s. Pretty sure the SR15 is The One, just seeking feedback and advice from anyone coming from a similar setup before buying. Thanks:)

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #498 of 2,727
I might be able to get my hands on a used pair of HD800S from a co-worker. hes wanting to upgrade to something else. do you guys know how well it would pair with the SR15 ? im assuming its balanced. be he says its 300 ohm :X

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #499 of 2,727
Jason, just a quick question, I’m new to the forum and I’ve just purchased the norma
Is it ok to use a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter so I can use the balanced output with my iem’s

Thanks
Are you going from 3.5mm to 2.5mm or from 2.5mm to 3.5mm?

We do not recommend using an adapter to go from 3.5mm to 2.5, but going from 2.5mm to 3.5mm using an adapter is fine. Most of our headphones and IEMs include a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 8, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #500 of 2,727
Are you going from 3.5mm to 2.5mm or from 2.5mm to 3.5mm?

We do not recommend using an adapter to go from 3.5mm to 2.5, but going from 2.5mm to 3.5mm using an adapter is fine. Most of our headphones and IEMs include a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter.
Thanks Jason, I would like to take advantage of the balanced output on the Norma so 2.5mm to 3.5 mm my current IEMs are RHA t20 and I also have the B&W px that I would like to try hard wired.

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #501 of 2,727
...I would like to take advantage of the balanced output on the Norma so 2.5mm to 3.5 mm my current IEMs are RHA t20 and...
If I understand correctly, that is exactly the not recommended variant.

If you had phones with 2.5mm "male" plug and a device with only 3.5mm "female" socket, then it would be OK to use 2.5 "female" to 3.5 "male" adapter.
But you want to attach 3.5mm plug of RHA t20 to Norma's 2.5 balanced output using 3.5 "female" to 2.5 "male" adapter, that may be dangerous for the device.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #502 of 2,727
If I understand correctly, that is exactly the not recommended variant.

If you had phones with 2.5mm "male" plug and a device with only 3.5mm "female" socket, then it would be OK to use 2.5 "female" to 3.5 "male" adapter.
But you want to attach 3.5mm plug of RHA t20 to Norma's 2.5 balanced output using 3.5 "female" to 2.5 "male" adapter, and that may be dangerous for the device.
Thanks for letting me know, what’s the options, can I buy a balanced cable for the px?also I’ve ordered some KZ Z6 IEMs to have a play with and they have detachable cables, the same seller has a set with a 2.5 mm plug on the end will they be ok?

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #503 of 2,727
Hello,

Got the sr15 a couple of weeks ago. Like it so far. I noticed three bugs:
1. When used as transport, changing the L/R balance has no change on sound. Is this the desired behavior?
2. On side-loaded Tidal app, the back button always show. Dragging it to the middle of the screen won't remove it.
3. On side-loaded Tidal app, skipping tracks will insert a 2 second pause during which no audio signal is sent. Happens with saved tracks so it's not a internet speed problem.

Anyone has these too?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #504 of 2,727
Thanks for letting me know, what’s the options, can I buy a balanced cable for the px?also I’ve ordered some KZ Z6 IEMs to have a play with and they have detachable cables, the same seller has a set with a 2.5 mm plug on the end will they be ok?
Sorry, but my knowledge of these things is very limited.
I suppose, that if cable in your RHAs has 4 separate wires all the way down to the 3.5 plug, then it will be enough to replace it with 2.5 / 4 pin balanced plug (just attach wires correctly). Otherwise the whole cable (or only its "3 wires" part) should be replaced.
But you better consult with someone more experienced :).

Dec 8, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #505 of 2,727

You can’t use an adapter to go from 3 wires (only 1 ground) to a balanced circuit- it will short out. The RHA are not going to work, but the KZ Z6 will work with the balanced cable.

Btw the 3.5 output sounds fantastic on its own. The balanced is more powerful, but with iems 3.5 will sound excellent also.

I’ve gone back to using the normal 3.5 jack on my iems, the battery drains less. Now if I had to drive something over 150 ohms I’d definitely go balanced.

Dec 8, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #506 of 2,727
You can’t use an adapter to go from 3 wires (only 1 ground) to a balanced circuit- it will short out. The RHA are not going to work, but the KZ Z6 will work with the balanced cable.

Btw the 3.5 output sounds fantastic on its own. The balanced is more powerful, but with iems 3.5 will sound excellent also.

I’ve gone back to using the normal 3.5 jack on my iems, the battery drains less. Now if I had to drive something over 150 ohms I’d definitely go balanced.
Thanks everyone for all your help, I’ve only just received the Norma this week and haven’t loaded any music yet ( a job for this afternoon ) and I’ve been slightly worried about the volume output and weather it will play loud enough, but my IEM’s are only 16 ohm so they should be fine I will order a 2.5mm balanced cable for the zs6 and give them a go then I should be able to test both outputs.

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #508 of 2,727
Thanks everyone for all your help, I’ve only just received the Norma this week and haven’t loaded any music yet ( a job for this afternoon ) and I’ve been slightly worried about the volume output and weather it will play loud enough, but my IEM’s are only 16 ohm so they should be fine I will order a 2.5mm balanced cable for the zs6 and give them a go then I should be able to test both outputs.

Don't have my SR15 yet, expecting it next week. But I do have the RHA T20s, and they are driven fine with my Dragonfly Red, which has the same 2V RMS output as the SE SR15.

Enjoy loading up your SR15! Will be doing the same next weekend. Beats Xmas shopping:ksc75smile:

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #509 of 2,727
The head unit in my car is an Alpine UTE-62BT. I want to connect my SR15 to its AUX port but I cannot find any documentation about the required voltage. Since the SR15’s line out has configurable voltage, I’m wondering what the standard voltage is for car audio AUX inputs. Does anyone know?

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #510 of 2,727
The head unit in my car is an Alpine UTE-62BT. I want to connect my SR15 to its AUX port but I cannot find any documentation about the required voltage. Since the SR15’s line out has configurable voltage, I’m wondering what the standard voltage is for car audio AUX inputs. Does anyone know?

For reference, I was able to find out that the Fiio X1 2nd Gen I used with good results with the same HU has a line out voltage 1.7 Vrms (10 KΩ/1 kHz). I’ll try that first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back