Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Dec 8, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #512 of 2,727
Jason,
Any chance that DS Audio Apk can be installed in SR15 in the future? a lot of users are storing their music in Synology NAS and want to be able to read it when not in the same network as the NAS
Thanks

Dec 9, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #514 of 2,727
Have been using the sr15 for a few weeks, here are my impressions.

I was looking for a dedicated DAP to use exclusively as a transport for the Hugo. My criteria were: large storage (>500go), digital out, premium build, smooth UI experience, ability to use Tidal. I zeroed-in on the sr15 (~$820 with 400Go sd card) and the iPhone XS 512 Go (~$1,450).

Strong points (vs. iPhone XS)
  • Physical playback buttons
  • aptX bluetooth!
  • Pocketable size
  • Music player only - no distractions
Weak points (vs. iPhone XS)
  • Laggy UI, despit large improvements compared to previous AK models. Feels like an iPhone 4
  • Tiny, low-quality 3.5' screen. Makes it hard to navigate menus and use on-screen keyboard. Washed out colors; poor viewing angles; minimum luminosity is too bright
  • Extremely slippery on hard surfaces without optional leather case ($70)
  • Runs hot
  • Short battery life: 6-8 hours with line out, presumably less than the iPhone
  • Small UX annoyances in 2018: no tap/raise to wake, long start-up
  • Occasional bugs/quirks
Sound quality from the single-ended output sounds decent but cannot compete with the Hugo.

If you've found better options, please let me know :)

Dec 9, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #515 of 2,727
Is there any way the SR15 can be put into disk mode so a computer OS can mount its storage (internal or sdcard) directly over USB?

This happens automatically when you plug the sr15 to a Mac (with Android transfer app). Windows should work too.

Dec 9, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #517 of 2,727
I’ve used SR15 for a while now and the main issue for me is unavailability of connecting SR15 to IPhone directly (like i’ve Used with Mojo). Is there any workaround?
Just curious, why do you want to do that?

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #519 of 2,727
Because it is convenient.
For example I love watching YouTube with nice sound. SR15 has tidal and this is good for sure, but sometimes it is easier to operate via iPhone and still having the best from your audio device.
Fair does. I don't really use YouTube. I believe sq on there can be pretty variable. So effectively you want to use the DAC of the SR15. You reckon it sounds appreciably better than the I Phone?

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #521 of 2,727
Because it is convenient.
For example I love watching YouTube with nice sound. SR15 has tidal and this is good for sure, but sometimes it is easier to operate via iPhone and still having the best from your audio device.
You might have then bought the SR15 for the wrong reasons.

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #522 of 2,727
Have been using the sr15 for a few weeks, here are my impressions.

I was looking for a dedicated DAP to use exclusively as a transport for the Hugo. My criteria were: large storage (>500go), digital out, premium build, smooth UI experience, ability to use Tidal. I zeroed-in on the sr15 (~$820 with 400Go sd card) and the iPhone XS 512 Go (~$1,450).

Strong points (vs. iPhone XS)
  • Physical playback buttons
  • aptX bluetooth!
  • Pocketable size
  • Music player only - no distractions
Weak points (vs. iPhone XS)
  • Laggy UI, despit large improvements compared to previous AK models. Feels like an iPhone 4
  • Tiny, low-quality 3.5' screen. Makes it hard to navigate menus and use on-screen keyboard. Washed out colors; poor viewing angles; minimum luminosity is too bright
  • Extremely slippery on hard surfaces without optional leather case ($70)
  • Runs hot
  • Short battery life: 6-8 hours with line out, presumably less than the iPhone
  • Small UX annoyances in 2018: no tap/raise to wake, long start-up
  • Occasional bugs/quirks
Sound quality from the single-ended output sounds decent but cannot compete with the Hugo.

If you've found better options, please let me know :)
Interesting comparison. I have the iPhone XS Max and the SR15 and I have never thought of comparing them or even using them together.

Dec 9, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #523 of 2,727
I want to believe :)
Because if it is just my self-conviction than i’ve wasted 600$.
Ha ha! I think there are advantages in having a separate DAP. Although I would think a lot of those are negated by tethering to your phone. Which is why I asked my original question. YouTube makes sense though.

Dec 9, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #524 of 2,727
Interesting comparison. I have the iPhone XS Max and the SR15 and I have never thought of comparing them or even using them together.
I'm about to buy the Max so would be interested if you did do a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back