Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Dec 5, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #451 of 2,727
I'll be honest i've always been told A&K is like apple but for daps. i'm coming to the brand with an open mind because i feel i should try everything before i judge despite what other people say. even though this audio hobby of ours is a bit expensive at times. its always different for everyone just like how sound comes off differently for everyone.
I’ve heard the Apple comparisons as well. I like to think “You get what you pay for”. Concurrently, the price of the A&K players are quite high-ish, but usually once you live with them, you don’t want anything else and you can leave your phone to calls, texts and browsing!

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #453 of 2,727
I’ve heard the Apple comparisons as well. I like to think “You get what you pay for”. Concurrently, the price of the A&K players are quite high-ish, but usually once you live with them, you don’t want anything else and you can leave your phone to calls, texts and browsing!

Build quality is really excellent too. Little details like the way the volume knob is machined and the inputs are raised a bit and the back design scream quality.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #454 of 2,727
Build quality is really excellent too. Little details like the way the volume knob is machined and the inputs are raised a bit and the back design scream quality.
I feel the volume knob is very slacky, hard to know when ticks to the next step when screen is off. Is it the same on se100 and spk also? I would rather see a more precise knob movement or even a mini ALPS analogue one. :)

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #455 of 2,727
I feel the volume knob is very slacky, hard to know when ticks to the next step when screen is off. Is it the same on se100 and spk also? I would rather see a more precise knob movement or even a mini ALPS analogue one. :)

Yep they are on the soft side, one click equals 1 volume up. It you want to increase it fast better to drag it on the screen.

Actually I’ve never played with the top dog so it could be different but all the others I’ve tried are similar

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #456 of 2,727
Yep they are on the soft side, one click equals 1 volume up. It you want to increase it fast better to drag it on the screen.

Actually I’ve never played with the top dog so it could be different but all the others I’ve tried are similar
Just too much movement betweenthe steps.. I don't really see why is this 'threshold' needed between 2 clicks actually.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #457 of 2,727
Just too much movement betweenthe steps.. I don't really see why is this 'threshold' needed between 2 clicks actually.

I know what you mean, it’s different than most. You get used to it though, it’s more for fine tuning than large volume swings.

I think also it’s that way to prevent you from blasting your ears accidentally with too big of a volume change per turn.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #458 of 2,727
I know what you mean, it’s different than most. You get used to it though, it’s more for fine tuning than large volume swings.

I think also it’s that way to prevent you from blasting your ears accidentally with too big of a volume change per turn.
Yeah, probably you are right on this. Using in pocket blindly, I can imagine it could be safer this way.

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #459 of 2,727
Lol well yes it always tends to be that way- the unit you own is the best :) Honestly it’s no contest on SE- the SR15 is more detailed, more dynamic, and has a bigger stage and more power. Balanced on the Sony is really quite different and similar to SR15 but is a bit warmer and of course more powerful. Balanced on the Sony is really nice :) I would still give detail- air- treble to the ST15 even on SE though. The Sony has a wonderful low end.

SE on the Sony is warmer also. I haven’t tried the balanced on the ak yet- I will soonish.

I’d recommend the Sony for battery life and Bluetooth- Bass and richness. And Norma (love that moniker) for a feature rich compact dap with more detail/crunch and a bit more neutrality.

Of course it’s always subjective and depends on source and headphones.

Ak Norma SR15 is one of the most enjoyable listens I’ve ever had. Along with ZX300 balanced. I like detail and don’t like too much warmth, but I find something like Fiio x7, ibasso DX 150, too sterile/neutral for my liking. Even Cayin n5ii was a bit too dry for me.
Thanks for these impressions on the ZX300/SR15 comparison. I picked up a ZX300A a few weeks back, but had been wondering about SR15 as an option - and still am. Really just after a player that hits the mark and I can hold onto for 5+ years (or longer with good care).

The ZX300 is an interesting sound - quite different from others I’ve had (probably because of the unique use of a digital amp instead of typical DAC-amp components). It has great detail and layering, particularly interesting is this very precise bass resolution- notes that had sounded just ‘low’ on other players instead have a definite pitch where you can hear the note of deep bass better. But, so far I’m not entirely sure it’ll hit the mark for me; there’s a characteristic to the sound that’s hard to describe but it’s like all notes sound a bit “rounded” or velvety.

I’m still burning the player in (the recommended 200 hrs is loooong time), and only on SE so far - will get to try balanced when some Aeon Flows arrive in a few days, so will reserve judgement for a while.

My other reason for being curious about the SR15 is that at the moment I also have a Plenue V, which uses the same DAC as the SR15. Great sound but tends towards too-hot treble and sibilance at times. Of course it’s not all about the DAC chip but I tend to think the level of detail retrieval is determined in large part by the DAC, and the detail on the Plenue V is fantastic. So I’ve been wondering what the same chip implemented by a different manufacturer would be like. I can’t try out the SR15 where I am, but based on impressions here I think I’ll visit a retailer in another city when I’m there next.

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #460 of 2,727
Thanks for these impressions on the ZX300/SR15 comparison. I picked up a ZX300A a few weeks back, but had been wondering about SR15 as an option - and still am. Really just after a player that hits the mark and I can hold onto for 5+ years (or longer with good care).

The ZX300 is an interesting sound - quite different from others I’ve had (probably because of the unique use of a digital amp instead of typical DAC-amp components). It has great detail and layering, particularly interesting is this very precise bass resolution- notes that had sounded just ‘low’ on other players instead have a definite pitch where you can hear the note of deep bass better. But, so far I’m not entirely sure it’ll hit the mark for me; there’s a characteristic to the sound that’s hard to describe but it’s like all notes sound a bit “rounded” or velvety.

I’m still burning the player in (the recommended 200 hrs is loooong time), and only on SE so far - will get to try balanced when some Aeon Flows arrive in a few days, so will reserve judgement for a while.

My other reason for being curious about the SR15 is that at the moment I also have a Plenue V, which uses the same DAC as the SR15. Great sound but tends towards too-hot treble and sibilance at times. Of course it’s not all about the DAC chip but I tend to think the level of detail retrieval is determined in large part by the DAC, and the detail on the Plenue V is fantastic. So I’ve been wondering what the same chip implemented by a different manufacturer would be like. I can’t try out the SR15 where I am, but based on impressions here I think I’ll visit a retailer in another city when I’m there next.

NP :)

ZX300 is better on balanced than SE and so is the SR15. Sony is going to be a bit warmer than SR15, but I wouldn’t call the SR15i thin sounding it’s very musical. Great thing about Sony is the battery life because of the digital amp.

I definitely recommend giving SR15 a listen.

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #462 of 2,727
ionly ever use my phone for that, never music. but unfortunately now im stuck with it as a music source because i dont have a DAP :frowning2: and it hurts so bad... i hate using my phone i feel like something was stolen without a proper dap :'(

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #463 of 2,727
Since the Hugo 2 comes with an OTG cable, another thing I have learned is that the OTG end of the cable needs to be connected to the DAP (SR15), but I have never seen a cable that identified which is the OTG end, so, if I have a problem with it not connecting the first thing I try is to reverse the cable. Always worth a try. As far as the male plug not fully going into the the female, that is a common condition because the connectors are not very standard size wise. Insertion is most likely not the problem.

Well, I got the new OTG cable, tried it both ways with the Hugo 2, still did not work. (Unlike the cable that came with the Hugo 2, the male plug went all the way in.) The Hugo 2 works fine with other sources, so I assume it is not the problem, though I plan to check in with Chord just in case. I updated the AK software, so I assume that is not it. Just a defective SR15?

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #464 of 2,727
Well, I got the new OTG cable, tried it both ways with the Hugo 2, still did not work. (Unlike the cable that came with the Hugo 2, the male plug went all the way in.) The Hugo 2 works fine with other sources, so I assume it is not the problem, though I plan to check in with Chord just in case. I updated the AK software, so I assume that is not it. Just a defective SR15?

Sorry, but I guess that is what the warranty is for. Looks to me like it needs to go back for warranty repair/replacement. I had an issue with my AK380 and returned it to the dealer. The dealer checked with Astell & Kern and then sent me a replacement. Hope your’s goes smoothly.

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #465 of 2,727
Does anyone know if the Norma is a plausible alternative for Tidal MQA streaming, compared to something like a v30 hooked to a brilliant portable DAC like the ultrasone NAOS(which is a tiny dongle) ?

I think we have come far enough to not see the point in owning a DAP if the SQ is a 'significant' bump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back