Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Nov 7, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #242 of 2,727
Also, i know it can be a bit pricey for a case, but get one! preferably a leather one or something well padded. dont get thoes clear cases that dont cover the front edges.
I plan on getting a nice AK case for my SR15.

SR15 gets very warm if connectod to a PC or Laptop during playback. It is also getting hot while copying music to it via cable.
By using a charger during playback, my SR15 doesn't get as warm as plugged to the laptop... strange.
I also prefer to remove the microSD and insert into a card reader due to the warming issues. I faced it once the battery just ran off fully quite quick after copied 4-5 albums through cable and left connected to the laptop. I think it does something with the auto media scan. Can it be switched off?

It is a shame that every cases cover up the microSD slot...

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #243 of 2,727
SR15 gets very warm if connectod to a PC or Laptop during playback. It is also getting hot while copying music to it via cable.
By using a charger during playback, my SR15 doesn't get as warm as plugged to the laptop... strange.
I also prefer to remove the microSD and insert into a card reader due to the warming issues. I faced it once the battery just ran off fully quite quick after copied 4-5 albums through cable and left connected to the laptop. I think it does something with the auto media scan. Can it be switched off?

It is a shame that every cases cover up the microSD slot...
I'd prefer that cases cover up the MicroSD slot for safety reasons.
But yeah i hear the SR15 gets very warm doing almost anything which is weird. because other daps ive tried (fiio x5 gen 3, sony nw-zx300, Cayin i5 and sony nw-zx2.) i've only owned the fiio, the others were lent to me to use for a weekish by friends/co-workers. (i work in a tech video game company lol) and they only get warm after hours and hours of constant music use. never during transfer of files or plugged into pc.

this fact is making me a bit concerned if i should invest in the SR15 but ive heard people say its temporary for the first couple of days. a type of hardware "burn in". i'll wait a bit longer for now and see what more people have to say and possibly if the store i visit for audio equipment will have one on display so i can play with it a bit. im tempted to get the futura but it might be past my price range for DAPs..

Nov 10, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #245 of 2,727
Hello Guys,

Do you have any idea of how sr15 compares to mojo SQ-wise?
I have a mojo and a jh angie. I love the sound of both but fed up playing with two devices. On the other han I dont want to downgrade sq for easier use.
Thanks!
Hello

I have both, a Poly-Mojo, and the SR15, the Poly-Mojo sounds better, but not buy far, but the SR-15 is much easer to use, and far more versatile, so I ended using mostly the SR15, for me is the perfect dap, after the last update is the perfect dap, and it works as USB DAC for using with my Surface to listen to Tidal Masters. The Poly-Mojo is a nightmare to use.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #247 of 2,727
Thanks for the info! Does the mojo still sound better than the SR15 if the source is a phone instead of the poly?
Yes the Mojo sounds very good, how ever you use it, But for mobile I prefer to use the SR15 for easy of use, Mojo is not so easy to use with a phone, I can also listen to Tidal on the go using the phone as hotspot, for the SR15, the SR15 is very nice for the size and price, for desktop I use the Mojo or the iFi nano iDSD black.

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #248 of 2,727
Yes the Mojo sounds very good, how ever you use it, But for mobile I prefer to use the SR15 for easy of use, Mojo is not so easy to use with a phone, I can also listen to Tidal on the go using the phone as hotspot, for the SR15, the SR15 is very nice for the size and price, for desktop I use the Mojo or the iFi nano iDSD black.

Thanks again! You helped a lot. I love the sound of the mojo and dont want to step down in sq.

Nov 10, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #249 of 2,727
My A&Norma arrived finally and my first impressions are very positive especially in terms of sound and design.

I will share my detailed impression after some burn-in. Here are some of my shots :slight_smile:

IMG_20181110_213856_936.jpg

20181109_200332.jpg

20181109_223501.jpg

20181111_010115.jpg

20181109_180658.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #250 of 2,727
Quick comment on the heating thing. My SR15 use to run hot at the start but after a few weeks of use it doesnt get that hot anymore. Now it gets as warm as a mobile phone and thats it.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #253 of 2,727
Hi Jason,

any update on the new firmware release dates?

Thanks
It was originally scheduled for the end of last week, but we found a bug. I do not have an updated date yet, should hopefully know more in the next day or two.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 14, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #255 of 2,727
This has been a positive thread to read for someone interested in the Norma. Folks have been open about their positive impressions and negative experiences and context was provided regarding the weight of importance to various aspects (streaming tidal a non-negotiable vs not something cared about).

My 1st DAP post iPod Classic 160GB was the FiiO X5ii and then the X5iii. Big learning experience.....going from a fairly ugly, chunky pure player to a slick, good looking Android based device. I gained an understanding of many things that annoy me about these devices.

Start up time, ease of navigation, smoothness / buginess of UI, firmware updates actually working, etc. Those are things that have been challenging and have caused me to look for a replacement for my X5iii. It is a daunting task when considering 5-10 DAPs - I was going to create a spreadsheet - features down the left and models along the top. Fortunately I was reminded of A&K and these 3 new models that recently came out.

I thought 2 slots like the X5iii was a non-negotiable, but if 512 cards start appearing available, and they work in the players - then I’m golden. The idea of stripped down Android that works well, a mature company to work on the Firmware, and the hope/promise of good sound - the Norma sounds perfect for my needs.

I stopped by a store and was able to compare the X5iii to the KANN, and I was very impressed - they didn’t have the Norma. My main uses will be portable while traveling (airport, plane, hotel) and in the car - likely USB out to my processor.

I’m hoping to get over to Moon Audio in Raleigh soon for a listen. I want to thank those on the thread who have provided great information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back