Astell&Kern SA700 - Past meets Present
May 21, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #302 of 705
Are you doubting my words ?
Or just trolling ?

I tried a demo, I appreciate the sound tuning. First firmware.
So, I bought one (second hand with last firmware) few monthes after, and listen to it with the same iems.
This was a different sounding.
That’s what I said, and I’ll continue to say this.
Maybe a Firmware burn in changed the sound, if any can believe in firmware burn in, but not a brain burn in.

Anyway, I sold it.
It’s not anymore the sound I am looking for.

Try to read the SP2K thread, you may smile again and again.

Hi!

With my post I did not mean you in particular but Headfi in general and I wasn`t 100% serious. Sorry if you felt offended.

Though, me personally, I believe in science. And science tells that humans cannot reliably compare sounds from memory. Science also tells there are so many psychoacoustic phenomena that can be responsible for different sound perception.

This is why I feel that audiophiles on Headfi (in general) should be sometimes more careful about what they are "sure" about, especially when they talk about allegedly "huge changes"....that is all.

In addition, if many people write about sound changes through firmware updates but the maker itself gurantees they don`t do such thing - tells a lot about audiophiles. Imo.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #303 of 705
Regarding burn in, AK does recommend burn in time with our players.

But you also wrote in your other post you "feel" the sound signature changes after burn-in. Did A&K do any research on possible technical explanation?

May 22, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #308 of 705
Im talking about sound diff between black and ss

Why would they install different software on the same device with different material?

May 22, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #310 of 705
They are both made from the same material....

Finish matters to sound, in my opinion. I felt the sound of SS and black different in the shop.
And felt that difference reasonable and natural since raw finish one (SS) having raw (clearer) sound compared to blackened one (softer/darker).

Yes, this is what I felt and other people might feel different (= same sound) but at least couple of people on the web feels them sounding different.

And another example: IEM, final audio design Heaven V and Heaven V Aging is both made of brass but V Aging version has no finish and V version has black finish.
And they sound very different. (but the change direction by finish is not same to that of SA700 though, probably due to material/finish difference)

May 22, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #311 of 705
Finish matters to sound, in my opinion. I felt the sound of SS and black different in the shop.
And felt that difference reasonable and natural since raw finish one (SS) having raw (clearer) sound compared to blackened one (softer/darker).

Yes, this is what I felt and other people might feel different (= same sound) but at least couple of people on the web feels them sounding different.

And another example: IEM, final audio design Heaven V and Heaven V Aging is both made of brass but V Aging version has no finish and V version has black finish.
And they sound very different. (but the change direction by finish is not same to that of SA700 though, probably due to material/finish difference)

This is ridiculous is my opinion. All of the components on the internals of the player are in contact with the same materials.... Burn in sound changes I can agree with, but this is just your mind playing tricks on you.

May 22, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #313 of 705
This is ridiculous is my opinion. All of the components on the internals of the player are in contact with the same materials.... Burn in sound changes I can agree with, but this is just your mind playing tricks on you.

Maybe just my mind. However, I believe though.
If you don't believe, it is OK and I won't argue which is correct. It is OK if I am wrong.
But then what do you think of insulators/feet/audio-rack for audio amps? Do they affect sound in your opinion?

Denon sound manager Yamauchi-san says different Finish of the Top Panel of their high-end amp makes sound different, thus they didn't decide finish by aesthetics, but decided by listening.
https://www.denon.jp/ja-jp/blog/7754/index.html

May 22, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #314 of 705
For burn in, how do you do?
Do you burn in the SE and the symetric output?

I did it for both 3.5mm and 2.5mm.
Just playing different kind of music with IEM connected, relatively loud volume but not so loud in average.
Classical (chamber music, orchestral music), pops, dance, some times burn-in track from Nordost, etc..
But I felt much difference by burn-in on 2.5mm output than 3.5mm.
I became unsatisfied while I listened to a while, so I started continuous burn-in which wasn't in my plan initially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back