Astell&Kern SA700 - Past meets Present
Jul 3, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #331 of 705
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I plan on upgrading my DAP soon and am torn between this one and the Lotoo Paw 6000. I'm sure I'd be happy with either one, but we'll see.

Would be best if you are able to give the two players a demo before you buy. As far as sound signature goes, the Lotoo PAW6000 is more neutral, while the A&K SA700 is comparatively warm-mid focused. So if we are only talking about sound it would be good to consider synergy between your transducers and the player that you choose.

Another big difference between the two is battery life and streaming, as the PAW6000 has pretty much twice the battery life of the SA700, but cannot directly connect to streaming services on its own.
Directly related to the above is UI performance, since the SA700 is a skinned up android player, it isn't a fast an snappy as the PAW6000's custom UI.

I'm sure you can deduce most of the aforementioned by reading the reviews of the players online, but if there is anything else you would like to know comparatively let me know and I'll see how I can help you out as I currently own both.

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #332 of 705
Would be best if you are able to give the two players a demo before you buy. As far as sound signature goes, the Lotoo PAW6000 is more neutral, while the A&K SA700 is comparatively warm-mid focused. So if we are only talking about sound it would be good to consider synergy between your transducers and the player that you choose.

Another big difference between the two is battery life and streaming, as the PAW6000 has pretty much twice the battery life of the SA700, but cannot directly connect to streaming services on its own.
Directly related to the above is UI performance, since the SA700 is a skinned up android player, it isn't a fast an snappy as the PAW6000's custom UI.

I'm sure you can deduce most of the aforementioned by reading the reviews of the players online, but if there is anything else you would like to know comparatively let me know and I'll see how I can help you out as I currently own both.
Thank you for replying and being very helpful. Hmm...I have read LP6K being considered neutral but very impressive. I wasn't sure about SA700's sound signature though. I'll admit, I do enjoy a warmer sound as I tend to favor bass but also appreciate mids as well. So that's very interesting to know about SA700.

I won't lie to you, I've never been one to complain about constantly charging my DAP but lately it's become annoying. So having a better battery life would definitely be a plus for me, especially considering I usually run off balanced a lot. As far as streaming goes, I don't stream as much as a I used to. It's funny, I actually streamed last night for the first time in like over a month. I normally just listen to music from my library. But I suppose I would appreciate more of a snappier and responsive UI in a DAP.

So if you can be a straight shooter with me, in your honest opinion, which DAP do you personally prefer out of the two? Which one do you normally reach for more often? Once again, thanks for your help!

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #333 of 705
Thank you for replying and being very helpful. Hmm...I have read LP6K being considered neutral but very impressive. I wasn't sure about SA700's sound signature though. I'll admit, I do enjoy a warmer sound as I tend to favor bass but also appreciate mids as well. So that's very interesting to know about SA700.

I won't lie to you, I've never been one to complain about constantly charging my DAP but lately it's become annoying. So having a better battery life would definitely be a plus for me, especially considering I usually run off balanced a lot. As far as streaming goes, I don't stream as much as a I used to. It's funny, I actually streamed last night for the first time in like over a month. I normally just listen to music from my library. But I suppose I would appreciate more of a snappier and responsive UI in a DAP.

So if you can be a straight shooter with me, in your honest opinion, which DAP do you personally prefer out of the two? Which one do you normally reach for more often? Once again, thanks for your help!

Just for information.
You might know, but SA700 requires about 45 seconds to startup, while PAW6000 said to start in three seconds, literally.
And you can't keep SA700 sleeping while not listening, it automatically shuts down while not used, thus every time you listen, you have to wait 45 seconds to startup.
That is one of the point I don't like about SA700. (other two is lacking power in low ohms, and the fact that it is impossible to show composers.)

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #334 of 705

To be completely honest with you, I pretty much use the two in equal capacity. Personally it really comes down to pairing with the IEMs that I use, plus the mood of the moment. When the PAW6000 first came out around this time last year I honestly was not interested (back then I was using a Sony WM1A). Conversely I had fallen in love with the SA700 right at its release in December. It wasn't until I had sold my WM1A and auditioned my KSE1200 with the PAW6000 to realize I liked that pairing enough to have it as my third DAP. Interpret that as you will...
Additionally I will impart with some opinions and observations.
While both of these machines have really excellent build quality, the SA700 just looks and FEELS amazing. From the substantial weight of stainless steel in conjunction with the simple yet elegant chassis, to the milled texture and tactile response of the volume wheel, you just know that this isn't just an average DAP. Instead this is a premium product, produced to celebrate the company's 7 years of industrial design and engineering.
The player can run a bit warm, especially during DSD play back, so it could get uncomfortable when pocketed especially in the summer heat.

The PAW6000 feels appropriately priced with no surprises: aluminium chassis, and a glass back panel. Volume dial and buttons are well implemented in fact I like the buttons are better than those of the SA700. Overall it feels nice in the hand, just not as nice as that of the SA700 IMO.
Whereas the SA700 is fairly bare bones in packaged accessories (only includes plastic screen protectors and USB C cable), the PAW6000 comes with a leather case (not sure if it is bonded leather, PU leather or protein leather), 2 glass screen protectors and a USB C cable. Only gripe is that with leather case seems to have been designed for the player without the glass screen protector, because when fitted with the included protectors, the bottom corners of the protector would blister.

Again, if you could I would definitely recommend that you try out the two players before buying into one or the other, as I firmly believe that sound pairing with you own transducers will be better than guys on the internet telling you what they think is better.

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #336 of 705
Anyone ever had that the player locked while music playing? Not able to turn on screen, skip tracks and display didn’t turn on again. Had to shut it down and restart to fix.

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #337 of 705
i have this issue. It occurs every two weeks os so. I also get skipping of tracks that occurs around five or six times an hour. Its like a song stalls in play for a moment. I only use the Tidal app and only use the player when walking. i find the wifi to be very poor.

Anyone ever had that the player locked while music playing? Not able to turn on screen, skip tracks and display didn’t turn on again. Had to shut it down and restart to fix.

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #338 of 705
i have this issue. It occurs every two weeks os so. I also get skipping of tracks that occurs around five or six times an hour. Its like a song stalls in play for a moment. I only use the Tidal app and only use the player when walking. i find the wifi to be very poor.

Thank you for your feedback. I only use my library on a SD card and agree that the wifi range is very very poor.

Aug 4, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #339 of 705
Having this same issue while using an sd card. Has happened about 5 times, owned the SA700 for 1 month. Happy with the player otherwise, hopefully it’s something a firmware update could fix?

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #340 of 705
@JasonNYC Any updates on this freezing issue? The more I use the SA700, the more it happens (often). Could it have problems with a larger library (1TB microsd)? It takes forever to load the recently added playlist as well.
I own the SE100 and have never had any issues like this. Feel like a $1300 product should perform better. Thinking about returning it, any info/help appreciated.

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #341 of 705
@JasonNYC Any updates on this freezing issue? The more I use the SA700, the more it happens (often). Could it have problems with a larger library (1TB microsd)? It takes forever to load the recently added playlist as well.
I own the SE100 and have never had any issues like this. Feel like a $1300 product should perform better. Thinking about returning it, any info/help appreciated.
New firmware for the SA700 will be released this week, estimated date is Wednesday morning, 8/19 Korea time, late night tomorrow night (Tuesday, 8/18) in the US. There are a number of updates and bug fixes included.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back