Astell&Kern SA700 - Past meets Present
Apr 24, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #241 of 705
Which version of android is on this player?

From the just announced SR25:
"The use of Android 9.0 ensures the most popular music streaming apps installed via Open APP will be fully compatible with your Astell&Kern player now and with future app updates "

Depending, I may hold off buying an SA700 now and wait for the SR25 as I exclusively want to use a DAP for Tidal/Qobuz offline.

Thank you for the info.

if you coming from a pure SQ perspective.. SA700 is better but if you want offline Tidal/Qobuz offline now (if it support the way you wanted, and if other AK device cannot be upgraded via software) then SR25 is better choice..

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #243 of 705
Thanks Jason

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #244 of 705
@JasonNYC : do you know if the different firmware’s update changed the sound signature just as the SP2K has been ?

I tried the SA700 few months ago, and I tried it again today.
The sound I got in my memory is totally different from what I heard today...
And this is not a sudden change.

@owners of the SA700,did you notice anything ?

Apr 25, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #245 of 705
@JasonNYC :

I tried the SA700 few months ago, and I tried it again today.
The sound I got in my memory is totally different from what I heard today...
And this is not a sudden change.

@owners of the SA700,did you notice anything ?

Does it sound better now?

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #246 of 705
Does it sound better now?

Couldn't it be burn-in difference?

I don't remember sound signature change by firmware update, but sound change by burn-in was significant on 2.5mm output.
It took me nearly 300 hours for me to feel OK on balanced output. Sound on 250 hours was still meh to me.
(Fresh out of the box is not bad, but it soon gets bad, like typical gears and takes a lot to become fully capable.)
Single ended output didn't change that much by burn-in compared to the balanced.

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #247 of 705
Could somebody advise me which version of spotify is compatible with this DAP? I've tried a couple but cant install them. The latest Tidal didnt work but the penultimate one is working fine.

Along the same lines, I'd like to use bbc sounds (the new version of iplayer radio) but when I download the apk it doesn't show up in the folder on the player. Neither does the iplayer radio one for that matter.

Apologies if this has been covered already in one of the other ak forums.

May 1, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #248 of 705
If you install an APK update like i.e. new version of Tidal app, do you lose the offline downloads on the SD card?

May 1, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #249 of 705
If you install an APK update like i.e. new version of Tidal app, do you lose the offline downloads on the SD card?
When you want to upgrade, DO NOT uninstall the older version first. Download the new version and install it while the old version is still installed. It will install over the old version and keep all your settings and offline music. If you delete the old version before installing the new version, all of your settings and offline music will be lost.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 1, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #250 of 705
Thank you very much for the clarification, Jason.

May 2, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #251 of 705
May 4, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #252 of 705
Ok, I sold my sa700.
Maybe my SP1K/Amp will suffer the same fate, as well as my other AK daps.

Even with Sony, you can switch your FW if you are not convinced by the new one.

May 4, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #253 of 705
@magicguy what didn’t you Like of SA700?

May 4, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #254 of 705
This is a good DAP but I always think to the first firmware.
And no way to compare.

+ :
Form factor and size
Internal memory
APK
Layering / resolution (Good enough)

- :
Battery (life + charging)
No way to change firmware (just like SP1K)
Vocals (not as gorgeous as I remembered when I tried it the first time)
UI slower than my SP1K
Extra case which costs a lot (so globally a little over priced for me)

But, again, globally a good DAP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back