Astell&Kern SA700 - Past meets Present
Apr 13, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #226 of 705
Thank you for your (real) feedback :)
With more details, it is easier to understand.

AK240SS is a great player, but I never listened to Layla 2, so I can only approve your choice :)

if I understood well, the 2 units were demo ?
I don’t know if burn in will change anything, but yes, it could be interesting to try them again in few weeks/months.

what source do you used to listen with your Layla 2 ?

Could you give us more comparaisons between AK240SS and SA700, as both of them are made with SS ?

The ak240ss is mine. I bought it as used. The 700 is a shop demo.

I used mine layla 2 with a stock 2.5mm cable.

Apart from sounding wider on the 240ss, the clarity and warmth was same to me.

Listened to Spanish harlem flac on both players.

No amp or other gear were used.

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #227 of 705
I have one of these on order, delivers tomorrow, and I’m starting to get a little nervous and wondering if I should have stretched and gone for sp1000m. Seems like there’s very little interest in and appetite for sa700.

The commonly reported WiFi signal strength issues is concerning.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #229 of 705
I have one of these on order, delivers tomorrow, and I’m starting to get a little nervous and wondering if I should have stretched and gone for sp1000m. Seems like there’s very little interest in and appetite for sa700.
@tret : trust your ears :slight_smile:
There is not a lot of feedback right now, just like the Kann Cube...
But feedbacks, as rare as they are, are usually good.

I can tell you that in France, I read a lot of good things on the pairing SA700 / 64 Audio Fourte noir or 64 Audio N8.
But I read too, that the pairing with NocturnaL Audio Eden, was not great... (on this DAP, on other DAPs it could be great).

It’s all about synergy, as usual.
Nothing can be said with a single pair of iem/headphone.

@findthereal4 : obviously you are not interested in buying a SA700, maybe you should try an old AK380, you’re right.
If you need a Jitter Clock, an Amp, a removable battery, 256go of internal memory... Then go for it :thumbsup:
But If you want streaming apps and do not want an amp to get more output power, then look somewhere else... SP1000m maybe.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #230 of 705
I really, really enjoy both my kann cube and SA700 with my Andromedas (factory SE cable, yada yada) and my Cascades (the balanced upgrade cable).

Something I've noticed with the February-released firmware 1.21CM. I know the radio is a bit weak on it, but I can't stream lossless tidal a room away from my nearest AP without cache pauses

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #231 of 705
@tret : trust your ears :slight_smile:
There is not a lot of feedback right now, just like the Kann Cube...
But feedbacks, as rare as they are, are usually good.

I can tell you that in France, I read a lot of good things on the pairing SA700 / 64 Audio Fourte noir or 64 Audio N8.
But I read too, that the pairing with NocturnaL Audio Eden, was not great... (on this DAP, on other DAPs it could be great).

It’s all about synergy, as usual.
Nothing can be said with a single pair of iem/headphone.

@findthereal4 : obviously you are not interested in buying a SA700, maybe you should try an old AK380, you’re right.
If you need a Jitter Clock, an Amp, a removable battery, 256go of internal memory... Then go for it :thumbsup:
But If you want streaming apps and do not want an amp to get more output power, then look somewhere else... SP1000m maybe.

I see you all type jitter clock. I googled but can’t find anything on it. May I know what music term is that bros? Tks.

Come to think of it when you all said it with regards to SA700 don’t have any screws to open and change batt, yah I didn’t even realised too. The mechanics of it, in the first place, how did they encapsulate the whole thing?

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #232 of 705
I really, really enjoy both my kann cube and SA700 with my Andromedas (factory SE cable, yada yada) and my Cascades (the balanced upgrade cable).

Something I've noticed with the February-released firmware 1.21CM. I know the radio is a bit weak on it, but I can't stream lossless tidal a room away from my nearest AP without cache pauses

Wow bro. Holding onto 2 A&K DAP? If you were to let go of either one, I guess the Kann Cube will go...

Apr 16, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #233 of 705
I see you all type jitter clock. I googled but can’t find anything on it. May I know what music term is that bros? Tks.

Come to think of it when you all said it with regards to SA700 don’t have any screws to open and change batt, yah I didn’t even realised too. The mechanics of it, in the first place, how did they encapsulate the whole thing?
The back panel can be pryed open. The SP2000 is also sealed ths way.

Apr 17, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #235 of 705
Have Anyone paired SA-700 with IMR RAH?

Apr 18, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #236 of 705
Hi All. I got a Fiio M11 PRO this week but I’m having some issues. I mainly want to use Qobuz offline but my experience is horrible, to say the least. Takes forever to open the app, downloads not completing. Been reading up and turns out that many DAPs running on Android 7.0 have this issue. As the Fiio is still in the return window I’m looking for an alternative. Does Qobuz offline work flawless on the SA700? Maybe I missed it but didn’t find which O.S. the player is using. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Apr 18, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #237 of 705

They probably mean that the AK380 has a dual sync clock system (one clock generator for 44.1KHz and another for 48kHz multipliers ) I meant of you play a 44.1/88.2/176.4/352.8/DSD it will use the clock "A" for 44.1 and when you play a 48/96/192/384 or will switch to clock "B" for 48kHz

Apr 18, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #239 of 705
@ PhenixS1970
I can only speak of Tidal and Spotify, because it works perfectly
Thank you for the info (Tidal works without any issues on the Fiio but I would prefer to step out of Tidal as Qobuz sounds better to me).

Apr 22, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #240 of 705
Which version of android is on this player?

From the just announced SR25:
"The use of Android 9.0 ensures the most popular music streaming apps installed via Open APP will be fully compatible with your Astell&Kern player now and with future app updates "

Depending, I may hold off buying an SA700 now and wait for the SR25 as I exclusively want to use a DAP for Tidal/Qobuz offline.

Thank you for the info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back