Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Mar 16, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #5,476 of 5,840
Any rumor about a SP3000 ? May be to be anounced at Munich's High End in May ?
Seems like AKM (dac supplier) is finally resuming volume production in Q3 of this year…

Mar 17, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #5,477 of 5,840
@JasonNYC One more question. I love the SP2000 but I have a lot of difficulty getting it to connect to my WIFI. I have a Omada mesh network and unless I'm within 10 feet of the AP, it seems to have difficulty connecting. Additionally, it seems to want to default to 2.4 network as 5ghz is very unstable.

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #5,478 of 5,840
SP2000 just won't connect to certain wifi systems. I was lucky, when I got it recently, that I was about to switch from Netgear to TP Link. It just wouldn't connect to my (expensive) Netgear system. But no issues whatsoever on the TP Link. Don't ask me why..

Mar 18, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #5,479 of 5,840
Yup, I have the same problem. I have a Linksys sytem at home and the SP2000 will not connect with it and I have given up trying to make it work. Everything else in my home connects with Linksys without a hitch, but not the SP2000. Fortunately, it has no problem connecting with my iPhone hotspot for firmware updating.

Mar 21, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #5,480 of 5,840
I have ongoing issues connecting my SP2000 with my Orbi Netgear. it takes a few mins of toggling the wifi on/off on the SP2000 before it will connect. I am using Static IP instead of DHCP and that doesn't seem to help either. the SP2000 is the only device I have at home that just won't play nice with my home wifi network. it does connect almost instantly when I take it out of the house to my dealer's place and other places where there's wifi. so that was how I knew I was only having issues with my own home wifi network.

Mar 21, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #5,481 of 5,840
I have ongoing issues connecting my SP2000 with my Orbi Netgear. it takes a few mins of toggling the wifi on/off on the SP2000 before it will connect. I am using Static IP instead of DHCP and that doesn't seem to help either. the SP2000 is the only device I have at home that just won't play nice with my home wifi network. it does connect almost instantly when I take it out of the house to my dealer's place and other places where there's wifi. so that was how I knew I was only having issues with my own home wifi network.
Same, I also had the orbi.

Mar 22, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #5,482 of 5,840

Same, I also had the orbi.
Mesh networks like the Orbi can cause a number of issues with older devices. newer stuff has less of an issue. I have a Netgear wifi router -not the orbi. I took my old Netgear wifi router and turned it into an "access point" type device to increase the size of my wifi-network. this is a supported net gear configuration. causes havoc with my control 4 tablet. although the tablet is new the controller is older (2016). the readers digest issue is the assigning of ports on a mesh slave is not necessarily the port that it gets on the master wifi device. This is very hard to see even when looking at connections via the Netgear configuration program. I don't do much streaming, but do use wifi for updates. will run some tests and see if I can find a couple of workarounds with static ip's and blocking ip's on my access point.

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #5,483 of 5,840
Mesh networks like the Orbi can cause a number of issues with older devices. newer stuff has less of an issue. I have a Netgear wifi router -not the orbi. I took my old Netgear wifi router and turned it into an "access point" type device to increase the size of my wifi-network. this is a supported net gear configuration. causes havoc with my control 4 tablet. although the tablet is new the controller is older (2016). the readers digest issue is the assigning of ports on a mesh slave is not necessarily the port that it gets on the master wifi device. This is very hard to see even when looking at connections via the Netgear configuration program. I don't do much streaming, but do use wifi for updates. will run some tests and see if I can find a couple of workarounds with static ip's and blocking ip's on my access point.
Was able to run a few tests last night and was not able to create an issue where I could not connect and maintain the connection. Keep in mind I am not on an Orbi. Considering the Orbi is a relatively new device from Netgear it may be worth checking to see that you have the latest firmware on the Orbi.

Mar 24, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #5,485 of 5,840
Anyone have direct experience with M9 vs SP2000? From my memory the M9 seemed warmer/fuller and the SP2000 bit more clinical.

Mar 25, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #5,486 of 5,840
I can confirm my Orbi is using the latest firmware. Since the time I’ve owned the SP2000, I’ve updated the firmware for the Orbi at least twice so I’m pretty sure that at least in my personal case, the firmware is not a problem.
Have you tried Automatic DHCP not a static? if you have to use a static can you set the static to a higher number? IP's tend to get assigned to devices in sequence-ish. so low numbers like 192.168.1.10 will be used before 192.168.1.50. you might have a device that is trying to step on your static IP like a phone or tablet. I get this with my NAS that is set to 17. I have to make sure that it is running before I do a router update or something else will grab that IP. because I have home control I have 60 or so devices fighting for ports.

Mar 25, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #5,487 of 5,840
Have you tried Automatic DHCP not a static? if you have to use a static can you set the static to a higher number? IP's tend to get assigned to devices in sequence-ish. so low numbers like 192.168.1.10 will be used before 192.168.1.50. you might have a device that is trying to step on your static IP like a phone or tablet. I get this with my NAS that is set to 17. I have to make sure that it is running before I do a router update or something else will grab that IP. because I have home control I have 60 or so devices fighting for ports.
You can avoid that by making a DHCP reservation on your routers DHCP server. That way, your NAS will always get the same IP address from the router and it won't get assigned to another device instead.

If your DHCP server supports it, you can also exclude the specific address from the DHCP range set on the server. You can then set it as a static IP on the NAS. That way, you aren't dependant on the DHCP server being online for at least that device.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #5,488 of 5,840
I can confirm my Orbi is using the latest firmware. Since the time I’ve owned the SP2000, I’ve updated the firmware for the Orbi at least twice so I’m pretty sure that at least in my personal case, the firmware is not a problem.

I don't think that messing around with status IP addresses and DHCP is going to solve your issue. Just set it to auto IMO. You may want to change wifi channels depending on how much interference you may have in your area. Also, make sure WPA2 is enabled. I would also try disabling AX temporarily and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #5,489 of 5,840
I don’t see folks mention aptX much at all which is a shame. I needed to go wireless while at work and decided to get Beoplay eq and boy is the sound great. Wondering if Astell new ear buds will be better

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #5,490 of 5,840
Been playing around with SP2000 being turned ON all the time 24/7 for about 3 weeks now. Turns out it does not consume a lot of battery at all being in its ON state, just losing 5-7% of battery per day. It clearly sounds more resolving of microdetails and microdynamics compared to turning on and off and listening "cold". There's definitely a subtle sonic improvement going from "cold" state to fully warm state particularly in how smooth/effortless the microdynamics transition between notes after playing music for about an hour, and that level of performance is retained if the unit is never turned off at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back