Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Nov 20, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #5,341 of 5,840
Just tried with the standard original Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter. Both SP2K and the W2 don't get recognised by the new M1 Pro/Max MacBooks. How annoying!

Nov 20, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #5,342 of 5,840
Great synergy with Mest MK2

Attachments

• 3037BD3C-E063-461A-AFF2-D300E27E2EDE.jpeg
    3037BD3C-E063-461A-AFF2-D300E27E2EDE.jpeg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 20, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #5,343 of 5,840
Great synergy with Mest MK2
Very much so! Absolutely sweet synergy. Even better than the synergy with the Kann Alpha which I had been enjoying

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #5,346 of 5,840
Just tried with the standard original Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter. Both SP2K and the W2 don't get recognised by the new M1 Pro/Max MacBooks. How annoying!
This is supper annoying and I feel for you. I actually just replaced my 2016 MacBook Pro with a new MacBook Pro. I bought the last of the Intel based Macs right before the M1 pro was announced based on the discussions here.

I am on Monterey and currently don't have any connection issues - I know that does not help you, but it does highlight the issue as being M1 hardware related.

Question. if you attach a memory card to the USBC to A adapter can you read the memory card?

EDIT: go to page 355 of this thread. there is a user that was able to get this to work with by using a One world computing doc. here is his post:

"Did a little testing and I can confirm the following:

Computer: MacBook Pro 13" M1

Direct connect: MBP -> SP2000 doesn't work for me

Dock 1:
OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock - https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/docks/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock
- Connection to dock is over thunderbolt
- USB-C port on front using USB-C cable connects to SP2000 and launches Android File Transfer showing all internal and memory card files
- USB-A port on front using USB-A -> USB-C cable connects to SP2000 and launches Android File Transfer showing all internal and memory card files"

This makes sense. the OWC is intel based so the happy handshake between the SP2000 and the dock can happen. You can try the thunderbolt connection on the back of the doc as well, but I think you may have an issue (the one on the back is thunderbolt.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #5,347 of 5,840
DELETE POST

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #5,348 of 5,840
This is supper annoying and I feel for you. I actually just replaced my 2016 MacBook Pro with a new MacBook Pro. I bought the last of the Intel based Macs right before the M1 pro was announced based on the discussions here.

I am on Monterey and currently don't have any connection issues - I know that does not help you, but it does highlight the issue as being M1 hardware related.

Question. if you attach a memory card to the USBC to A adapter can you read the memory card?

EDIT: go to page 355 of this thread. there is a user that was able to get this to work with by using a One world computing doc. here is his post:

"Did a little testing and I can confirm the following:

Computer: MacBook Pro 13" M1

Direct connect: MBP -> SP2000 doesn't work for me

Dock 1:
OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock - https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/docks/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock
- Connection to dock is over thunderbolt
- USB-C port on front using USB-C cable connects to SP2000 and launches Android File Transfer showing all internal and memory card files
- USB-A port on front using USB-A -> USB-C cable connects to SP2000 and launches Android File Transfer showing all internal and memory card files"

This makes sense. the OWC is intel based so the happy handshake between the SP2000 and the dock can happen. You can try the thunderbolt connection on the back of the doc as well, but I think you may have an issue (the one on the back is thunderbolt.
I also have the last Intel-based MBP before M1 and when running Big Sur, connecting to the SP2K directly was an intermittent affair — sometimes can sometimes cannot. Haven’t tried on Monterey, probably do that later but don’t expect any difference. Is there anything I should know or be doing?

Mounting the SD card directly and getting the SP2K read and play have been problem free.

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #5,349 of 5,840
I also have the last Intel-based MBP before M1 and when running Big Sur, connecting to the SP2K directly was an intermittent affair — sometimes can sometimes cannot. Haven’t tried on Monterey, probably do that later but don’t expect any difference. Is there anything I should know or be doing?

Mounting the SD card directly and getting the SP2K read and play have been problem free.
Are you using android file transfer? Sometimes AFT is a little odd.

My first suggestion is to cold boot the apple (turn off and turn back on - not a restart) and then try the connection. this will ensure that only minimal applications will be running. If after several tests you get a good connection, my thought is you might have an app that is conflicting with the transfer when launched and running in the background. its worth noting that even when closed, some apps leave ghost process running that can cause hick-ups.

Also please make sure you are always running the same cable. I use a thunderbolt cable. it is not a 3 or a 4 cable. just the original TB. I have in the past had multiple issues with AudioQuest cables and don't recommend.

here is an example: I use commander one. I also happened to have a Garmin Dive Watch that requires the Garmin Express app to update. Garmin Express would cause issues when trying to connect with MTP devices using commander one. The Garmin app would auto launch on start up, until I disabled that within the Garmin Express preferences. now everything works

if you are using commander one, please make sure you also don't have android file transfer loaded. they can bump heads. AFT loads automatically at start up. I don't think you can modify this within AFT preferences. there are probably mods that you can do via terminal to stop it loading at start, but probably best to uninstall.

I have not seen any Big Sur / Monterey issues. I do have two intel MBP's - one on BS and one on Monterey. no known issues.

Nov 30, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #5,351 of 5,840
I’ll restate my question. The built in EQ on most DAPs only works with their default music players, not with the apps you load, such as Tidal or Qobuz. I use digital EQ via Roon to tweak the signature on most of my HP’s and some of my Iem’s when using my desktop rigs. In this instance, I would like to use EQ to mimic the Audeze plug-in integrated into Roon for the LCDi4. The settings I use on other devices works well and I do not enjoy the i4’s nearly as much without it. When using my phone as a source for Hugo 2 I use the app called “Boom”. It is a Tidal player which also allows you to add EQ. It works well, but I’m looking for a solution that sounds as good (or nearly as good) as Hugo 2 and supports system wide EQ.
I know this is a bit old but... I'm in the same boat. I want my LCDi4 to sound as good as it does with the Roon preset, but in a portable setup.

Is this possible with this player? I would assume there's an LCDi4 parametric EQ setting the player can use that will work across all apps (Spotify/SoundCloud in particular), that comes close to the Roon LCDi4 preset.

Dec 5, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #5,352 of 5,840
Do you guys use replay gain on it? Been searching for this answer and so far not having much luck. The way I I understand (replay gain) it to work is create a playlist, add songs to play list, select all the songs, run replay gain on all songs on that play list. My question is, what if you later want to add more songs to the play list. Do you have to reprocess all the songs plus the one ones with replay gain or just process the new ones that you added?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back