Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Oct 7, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #5,296 of 5,840
I have the SP2000Cu and heard Hugo 2 a couple of times and have a'bed them side by side as well. SP2000 is definitely closer to DAVE/Yggdrasil levels of soundstage depth and tonal density while having about the same width as Hugo 2 IMO. While soundstage depth is just a bonus to me, I prefer the tonal density of the SP2000Cu over Hugo 2 as it's closer to the tonal density of my Bifrost 2 DAC (referring to the the micro-gradient dynamics in timbre/tone in particular, or "plankton" on other forums)

Thanks! That was the info I was looking for: it seems some folks perceive the SP2000's staging as larger, but the difference is only in the depth. I guess if I want a wider soundstage than my Hugo 2, I'll have to get a desktop amp, like the TT2.

Oct 7, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #5,297 of 5,840
Thanks! That was the info I was looking for: it seems some folks perceive the SP2000's staging as larger, but the difference is only in the depth. I guess if I want a wider soundstage than my Hugo 2, I'll have to get a desktop amp, like the TT2.

TT2 is in another league in staging and depth than SP2000 for sure, but I still prefer the SP2000's tonality. TT2 needs the M-scaler IMHO to make its tone a bit less incisive in the edges to my preference especially after hearing how DAVE presents its delicacy of unleashing the tiniest gradients in tone edges in an amazingly natural way. That is what mainly separates the two DACs for me. Just my opinion that DAVE alone is better than M-scaler+TT2 for that reason.

Oct 7, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #5,298 of 5,840
TT2 is in another league in staging and depth than SP2000 for sure, but I still prefer the SP2000's tonality. TT2 needs the M-scaler IMHO to make its tone a bit less incisive in the edges to my preference especially after hearing how DAVE presents its delicacy of unleashing the tiniest gradients in tone edges in an amazingly natural way. That is what mainly separates the two DACs for me. Just my opinion that DAVE alone is better than M-scaler+TT2 for that reason.
Never had the pleasure of comparing DAVE with the TT2 and Mscaler. I suppose I just decided to go all out by trading in my Focal Arche for a DAVE+Mscaler combo. Adding a Mscaler later was also on the table but I am not into comparing stuff for too long.

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #5,299 of 5,840

Interesting... I do find the Hugo 2 a bit too incisive in the edges for some genres and recordings, and one of the reasons I want to upgrade to the TT2 is because it is said to be "an easier listen" vs Hugo 2 in how it presents the detail, despite being more detailed. From what you said, it sounds like the M-Scaler increases that "easier listen" quality, so it would be a good endgame investment for me.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #5,300 of 5,840
Does anyone know how to separate a ripped 2 CD set that combined into 1 album? The tracks are combined and alternate between the CDs, for example, track 1 from CD1, then track 1 from CD2, track 2 CD1, track 2 CD2, etc. so impossible to play them in correct order. It is an opera so playing in order is kind of important. I tried changing the name of each CD in the ripped file and also tried designating CD 1 and 2 in the file name but the darn things just will not separate. Thank you in advance.

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #5,301 of 5,840
Does anyone know how to separate a ripped 2 CD set that combined into 1 album? The tracks are combined and alternate between the CDs, for example, track 1 from CD1, then track 1 from CD2, track 2 CD1, track 2 CD2, etc. so impossible to play them in correct order. It is an opera so playing in order is kind of important. I tried changing the name of each CD in the ripped file and also tried designating CD 1 and 2 in the file name but the darn things just will not separate. Thank you in advance.
Put them in a playlist. Since you choose the order of play track and disc #s are irrelevant.

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #5,302 of 5,840
It sounds like it’s the metadata that’s at fault. Rerip them and ensure the ‘Disc’ field on all the files from CD1 is equal to ‘1/2’ and equal to ‘2/2’ on all the files from CD2.
Alternatively edit the metadata on the files on your PC with software such as Mp3tag, foobar2000 or dbPoweramp.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #5,303 of 5,840
How does the new SP2KT compare with SP2K? Is it an upgrade from the exiting SP2K or just something new and different from the existing flagship? From some reviews I could figure out that it would not be wise to upgrade SP2K -> T as there is not much of an improvement?

Oct 11, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #5,304 of 5,840
How does the new SP2KT compare with SP2K? Is it an upgrade from the exiting SP2K or just something new and different from the existing flagship? From some reviews I could figure out that it would not be wise to upgrade SP2K -> T as there is not much of an improvement?
I haven't heard one myself, but it does not appear to be an upgrade - just something different (i.e. DAC chip/brand, tube amp) - and it certainly doesn't appear to be priced as an upgrade.

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #5,305 of 5,840
I haven't heard one myself, but it does not appear to be an upgrade - just something different (i.e. DAC chip/brand, tube amp) - and it certainly doesn't appear to be priced as an upgrade.
The review from Moon-Audio confirms that 😊: "The flagship SP2000 DAP music player continues to be the star of the show when it comes to Astell&Kern music players. Even though it was released over two years ago, the SP2000 is still the DAP to beat:
https://www.moon-audio.com/astell-kern-sp2000t-dap-review

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #5,306 of 5,840
Hoping someone can help

Running an A&K SE100 and want to install the apple music app.

have followed all the instructions, downloaded the XAPK from APK pure, (and also spotify to try)

Put the files in the open services file on the A&K, where they are visible.

When i go into services, there is nothing there other than v-link, tidal and Deezer which were pre installed.

have tried using an older APK, v 3.7, 3.6, nothing is recognised

any ideas?

Thanks

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #5,307 of 5,840
Hoping someone can help

Running an A&K SE100 and want to install the apple music app.

have followed all the instructions, downloaded the XAPK from APK pure, (and also spotify to try)

Put the files in the open services file on the A&K, where they are visible.

When i go into services, there is nothing there other than v-link, tidal and Deezer which were pre installed.

have tried using an older APK, v 3.7, 3.6, nothing is recognised

any ideas?

Thanks
I have the SR25, but I believe it is the same for your model. You have to install first the xapk installer https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/news/open-app-service-instructions
Hope it helps!

Oct 19, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #5,308 of 5,840
Oct 20, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #5,310 of 5,840

Users who are viewing this thread

Back