Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Apr 9, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #3,151 of 5,856
I am very disappointed to find out that I am not invited to the ZMF party. Verite closed to be exact.

I have been searching for a pair of closed cans for my sp2000cu for a while now, but I realize the search is as illusive as searching for a perfect 3 wood.

I much prefer the Stellias, which to my ears, significantly ahead in refinement and technicalities. The Verites are smooth and forgiving, but too diffuse, muddy, and lacking in separation compared to the Stellias. Even my 16 yo said they sound like just normal headphones. The Stellias are ways from being perfect, but I think they are the ones staying for now.

Apr 9, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #3,152 of 5,856
I am very disappointed to find out that I am not invited to the ZMF party. Verite closed to be exact.

I have been searching for a pair of closed cans for my sp2000cu for a while now, but I realize the search is as illusive as searching for a perfect 3 wood.

I much prefer the Stellias, which to my ears, significantly ahead in refinement and technicalities. The Verites are smooth and forgiving, but too diffuse, muddy, and lacking in separation compared to the Stellias. Even my 16 yo said they sound like just normal headphones. The Stellias are ways from being perfect, but I think they are the ones staying for now.
Thanks for that info.

Apr 10, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #3,153 of 5,856
few days ago I promised to stop talking about playlist files issue with AK daps now-years (nowadays), I'm sorry but I can't stop !
I still have issu with the playlist files. I use playlist files to organise my music in the DAP.
depending on the days, how busy I'm, or where I'm, I have specific playlists files to listen when it comes to enjoy music.
Some people here said they don't know why other use playlist files : it is a question of organisation.
the internal memory of the SP1/2000 is like protected regarding playlist files : so impossible to copy past these files from my computer to the internal memory.

i have contacted already FEDEX, if there is no solution until next Tuesday, I will send the DAPs back to AK customer services, I'm sure there is something wrong, they will arrange it or if they can't the developer will do it.

Apr 10, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #3,154 of 5,856
@JasonNYC How exactly does the volume limit function work? Does it just display a warning at a fixed volume level (55?) regardless of what headphones you use?
I think this function should be changed in the future for people to set the limit volume they want.
For my gear, I normally listen in 55 to 60 and I will set a limit to 90. Above, it is an unstable state for the whole system.

Apr 10, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #3,155 of 5,856
@JasonNYC Still insists on the fact that they didn't change the sound. I'm tired proving this and begging for the "1.10 like sounding FW with clicking issue resolved".
And I don't know why @JasonNYC jibs at sharing older FW. This will drastically decrease the amount of displeasure.
Old FW makes Jason’s job harder. When someone complains about some problem the FW now becomes an issue every time.

AK should leak the old firmwares this way they they won’t have to support them.

Apr 10, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #3,157 of 5,856
I believe the issue is "disconnect" within the company.
If A&K is able to design and manufacture a great sounding dap like sp2000, they must have professionals with ears, I hope, and precision instruments that can measure.
If they are rolling out frequent firmware updates without having their best people and instruments double checking to make sure the sound quality is not being compromised, which by the way happens to be the most important property in a dap, I have no other descriptor.

Apr 10, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #3,158 of 5,856
Problems I mentioned earlier persist with both Android File Transfer and Commander One Pro on Mac. Not sure if this is related to 1.22 FW update, but has only been observed since updating. The Mac (I've tried it on three different Macs) fails to recognise the SP2000. It will begin charging the SP2000, but steadfastly refuses to recognise the SP2000. Thought it might be the cable, but problem persists with other cables. Have carried out a settings reset (not complete factory reset) and completed a media rescan.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem? I've since found a workround. The SP2000 needs to be turned off before you connect it to the already running computer. Turn the SP2000 on after connecting the USB-C cable. The Mac then recognises the SP2000.

Apr 10, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #3,160 of 5,856
Problems I mentioned earlier persist with both Android File Transfer and Commander One Pro on Mac. Not sure if this is related to 1.22 FW update, but has only been observed since updating. The Mac (I've tried it on three different Macs) fails to recognise the SP2000. It will begin charging the SP2000, but steadfastly refuses to recognise the SP2000. Thought it might be the cable, but problem persists with other cables. Have carried out a settings reset (not complete factory reset) and completed a media rescan.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem? I've since found a workround. The SP2000 needs to be turned off before you connect it to the already running computer. Turn the SP2000 on after connecting the USB-C cable. The Mac then recognises the SP2000.

I had this problem the first day with 1.22 and then restarted my mac and it went away.

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #3,161 of 5,856
Maybe you've already known :D

I just figure out this feature today, Audirvana recognized SP2K as a network player.
  • Audirvana 3.5.33 run on macOS
  • SP2000 firmware 1.22 with AK Connect enabled.
  • Connect SP2K to the same wifi network with the computer that runs Audirvana.
I can play DSD 256

1586644640374.png

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #3,162 of 5,856

I just figure out this feature today, Audirvana recognized SP2K as a network player.
I can play DSD 256

1586644640374.png
does Audirvana plus recognize the SP2000 via cable ?

Apr 11, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #3,164 of 5,856
@JasonNYC A bug that I noticed have been existing for quite long on SP2000 is that when I switch the audio files from say PCM to DSF, audio output stops.
The play timer moves but no audio.
I have to remove from the audio jack and plug back in before I get any sound. It seems to be only happening on the balanced output.

Apr 11, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #3,165 of 5,856

I can play DSD 256

1586644640374.png
Very interesting function.
But I need next version for SQ changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back