Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Dec 30, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #1,966 of 5,840
I just picked up a used Triton 8 hybrid cable for $100, and the improvement was profound with my SE100 and Valkyries. 8 wire is the only way to go. The Triton 8 new goes for $200, it's a steal for a 4 wire let alone a 8 wire. Do some research and buy used if possible!

Thank you Szore! I absolutely will :ksc75smile:. I guess I am a used market guy as well. Prices for these things are going so high nowadays.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #1,967 of 5,840
So I
JHA handled me fairly well, I'm not boycotting them. If I lived in Orlando, I'd buy replacement Laylas in a heartbeat.

Going back to Sp2000, it should be quite a jump too. When I bought the sp1000 the store didn't have one to demo, but an employee there was kind enough to loan me one model that could be an AK 320 or 380. It sounded worse than my iphone, and I suspect his was defective or needed to be rebroken in. RMAF changed my mind with a sp1000 demo. I loved it except that it was buggy and it's been in the shop for the second time; each time takes a month. This reminds me that the 2.5 balanced jack isn't exactly a good idea; it's fragile.

So, today I went to the local stores and, unfortunately, none of them have the flagship models to demo and it seems that while talking to the store managers they don't even intend on having them. According to them the market has changed to an "online only" approach. Most of them are actually even getting rid of their headphone demos which is a shame. They say that people nowadays are buying online, testing and if they dislike, return it (the new demo approach - headphone.com / headphone.ca approach). It is really a shame but I understand. Even though they didn't have the SP1000 / 2000 they had a pair of Audeze MX-4s that I wanted to try, and again, as Jalo said very well, I need to learn more what I like and even though the MX-4s delivered a different experience, they were not as appealing and intimate as my JH16s. I believe the balanced armatures deliver the best of sound quality and separation. If they would sell for $300 bucks I would buy them for the different experience, but nope, $3000.

I have an offer of $1600 for a used SP1000. How does the SP1000 compares to the SP2000? It is a $2.5K difference compared to a new SP2000. I would very much appreciate your opinion as well as from our fellow friends.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,968 of 5,840
Welp I did it. Sold off some of my equipment to buy the Solaris to mate with my SP2K. What should I expect with this pairing? The Solaris should arrive by the weekend.

I simply wanted to pair one of the best with another one of the best.

I’m done upgrading!

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #1,969 of 5,840
Welp I did it. Sold off some of my equipment to buy the Solaris to mate with my SP2K. What should I expect with this pairing? The Solaris should arrive by the weekend.

I’m done upgrading!

mmmm hmmm :wink:

on a side note - I have my SP2000 SS + Dignis case, all mint, for sale as I need funds to pay off my new CIEM. If anyone is interested shoot me a message.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #1,970 of 5,840

I’m done upgrading!
But, but, the SP3500 Special Edition is coming out!

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #1,971 of 5,840
So I

So, today I went to the local stores and, unfortunately, none of them have the flagship models to demo and it seems that while talking to the store managers they don't even intend on having them. According to them the market has changed to an "online only" approach. Most of them are actually even getting rid of their headphone demos which is a shame. They say that people nowadays are buying online, testing and if they dislike, return it (the new demo approach - headphone.com / headphone.ca approach). It is really a shame but I understand. Even though they didn't have the SP1000 / 2000 they had a pair of Audeze MX-4s that I wanted to try, and again, as Jalo said very well, I need to learn more what I like and even though the MX-4s delivered a different experience, they were not as appealing and intimate as my JH16s. I believe the balanced armatures deliver the best of sound quality and separation. If they would sell for $300 bucks I would buy them for the different experience, but nope, $3000.

I have an offer of $1600 for a used SP1000. How does the SP1000 compares to the SP2000? It is a $2.5K difference compared to a new SP2000. I would very much appreciate your opinion as well as from our fellow friends.

The SP2K is not 2.5K better than the SP1K but there is a certain refinement in sound. Is it worth 2.5K more? Only you can decide that.

I upgraded from the SP1K to the SP2K and said F it.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #1,974 of 5,840
The SP2K is not 2.5K better than the SP1K but there is a certain refinement in sound. Is it worth 2.5K more? Only you can decide that.

I upgraded from the SP1K to the SP1K and said F it.

Oh Arftech, I wish I could do that but I don't have enough play money. :confused: I guess it is just a matter of perspective and means. I would absolutely buy the best of the best if I could but the means limitation are still part of my real life and I can't just F it, unfortunately.

Apologies for my rant. I wish I had a peer that could lend me one or a store I could demo it, but today I went to 5 stores here in the Greater Vancouver area and NONE have it for demo even though they sell (they don't even have in store, they have to order and would take another 5 days if purchased). :fearful:

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #1,977 of 5,840

I’m done upgrading!

I haven't auditioned a pair of Campfire Audio IEM's in a while, but from what I've heard/read, they're pretty much all good. The Solaris/SP2000 combo should be perfect.

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #1,978 of 5,840
So I

IMHO, it all depends on your headphones. In my case, I have hard-to-drive cans, and really do need the extra power. If you have low impedance, headphones or IEMs, the power output from the SP1000 is definitely enough. And the longer battery time is a bonus.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #1,979 of 5,840
Cannot copy folder to SP2000 :

I just got the SP2K SS. When I tried to copy a folder (of music files comprising of Flac and DSD) to its internal memory via a PC on Windows 10, only the folder is created in SP2K but no music files are being copied across. There is no popup windows with the bar status that shows files are being copied, that is, nothing seems to be happening after the folder is created in SP2K.

The only way that seems to work : I had to go into each individual folder on my PC, select All the music files in the folder, and then copy to SP2K.

But this will be very tedious as I have to go folder by folder.

The SP2K manual states that I could copy entire folder. Am I doing something wrongly?

Appreciate any advise.
Thank you very much.

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #1,980 of 5,840
IMHO, it all depends on your headphones. In my case, I have hard-to-drive cans, and really do need the extra power. If you have low impedance, headphones or IEMs, the power output from the SP1000 is definitely enough. And the longer battery time is a bonus.

Thank you Stekos,

I am only listening with IEMs and CIEMs which are very easy to drive / sensitive (Jerry Harvey's). Didn't find a headphone just yet that I enjoy listening with.

Users who are viewing this thread

• nver
Back