Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jan 1, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #1,996 of 5,840
Jalo, have you heard both the Solaris and Solaris SE? If so, what differences did you hear?

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Jan 2, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #1,998 of 5,840
Jalo, have you heard both the Solaris and Solaris SE? If so, what differences did you hear?
No , I have not heard the SE edition only what is reported in the Solaris’ thread. I posted some comments in that thread couple of hours ago.

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,999 of 5,840
No , I have not heard the SE edition only what is reported in the Solaris’ thread. I posted some comments in that thread couple of hours ago.
Just looks

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,000 of 5,840
I wound up with JH audio. I have a couple of different iem's from them. One thing that I have found with all AK products is their sensitivity to cable choice. I found my custom fit Layla to be a bit to base-centric at first, but I changed from the original JH audio cable to a Silver dragon and the IEM completely changed. The change was so dramatic I have actually contemplated testing the original cable to see if it has a problem!! if you have experience with a particular iem not sounding right, you may want to look to the cable. couple of things I have found from my experience.

AK's seem to like thin cables. Crystal cable - if you can find them really seem to work well. I have a few different cables form them.

Length - shorter is better. I would not get anything longer that a 48"

I use to think that a lot of the cables sold for audio and home theater were just hype. then I started playing with them and my AK. the differences are staggering

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #2,002 of 5,840
I wound up with JH audio. I have a couple of different iem's from them. One thing that I have found with all AK products is their sensitivity to cable choice. I found my custom fit Layla to be a bit to base-centric at first, but I changed from the original JH audio cable to a Silver dragon and the IEM completely changed. The change was so dramatic I have actually contemplated testing the original cable to see if it has a problem!! if you have experience with a particular iem not sounding right, you may want to look to the cable. couple of things I have found from my experience.

AK's seem to like thin cables. Crystal cable - if you can find them really seem to work well. I have a few different cables form them.

Length - shorter is better. I would not get anything longer that a 48"

I use to think that a lot of the cables sold for audio and home theater were just hype. then I started playing with them and my AK. the differences are staggering
Yes, also tips have a profound and subtle impact too...

Jan 4, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #2,005 of 5,840
Is there a way to set a maximum volume cut off/cap? in case i slip my finger while adjusting the volume by screen and blow my ears out with 6vrms. If not this would be a great safety feature.
Also, can i rip CD's to the player using any cd ripper or does it only work with the AK one?
Thanks

JasonNYC

This is my first post or reply on Head Fi.
I have been very happy with this site and wonderful members in the incredible world of audio. My first post would be a review unfortunately my experience with the SP 2000 has been devastating.

regarding the volume control method:
Unfortunately too late for me. Exactly this happened when I was listening two weeks ago. The volume wheel on the side is adequate. The whole, translucent volume screen is dangerous and foolish. It is an attempt at a cute design feature taking no consideration of user experience or safety. On a player this powerful, some safety measure is necessary. Sony has it!
The translucent volume screen invites the user to continue scrolling as they had been before initiating a volume adjustment. The wheel is the only way to start the volume change and therefore the way we consider appropriate for volume control. It is sensibly calibrated and safe. Until it intimates the whole screen volume control. On this screen, people will become injured.

I did. It’s been three weeks and I’m not ok. I suffered hearing damage and have already been to four doctors. And I myself am a surgeon.

I could not be more disheartened that this happened to me.

Fix this error before many others suffer serious acoustic trauma.

Jan 4, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #2,006 of 5,840
JasonNYC

I have been very happy with this site and wonderful members in the incredible world of audio. My first post would be a review unfortunately my experience with the SP 2000 has been devastating.

Unfortunately too late for me. Exactly this happened when I was listening two weeks ago. The volume wheel on the side is adequate. The whole, translucent volume screen is dangerous and foolish. It is an attempt at a cute design feature taking no consideration of user experience or safety. On a player this powerful, some safety measure is necessary. Sony has it!
The translucent volume screen invites the user to continue scrolling as they had been before initiating a volume adjustment. The wheel is the only way to start the volume change and therefore the way we consider appropriate for volume control. It is sensibly calibrated and safe. Until it intimates the whole screen volume control. On this screen, people will become injured.

I did. It’s been three weeks and I’m not ok. I suffered hearing damage and have already been to four doctors. And I myself am a surgeon.

I’m sorry this happened to you. @JsaonNY this needs to be addressed in some sort of FW fix before further injuries are caused by the player!

Jan 4, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #2,007 of 5,840
Thank you for your sympathy.

I can only pray that it will go away. Living with consistent ringing in your ears is maddening.

Everyone needs to know that this is a devastating and almost inevitable consequence of the power and unsafe design of this player’s volume control mechanism.

Since this occurred I have analyzed other devices including my phone and studied the behavior around volume control.

Most other companies have not only limiters built in or placeable, but simply the design intelligently inhibits unwanted volume shifts.

I think we all have experienced an unexpected change in volume, but usually this has to do with a device that allows phone calls to come through, or an app on a phone that mysteriously produces high pitch noise when opened.

We all feel like we have control of our volume on a music player or phone because we would never intentionally set it in the wrong way.

With the SP2000, this such circumstance occurred a few times with me using this player in only the first two weeks that I had it. Fortunately none of those blasts approached the top of the machine’s capacity until the one that occurred three weeks ago. This was the one that left me harmed. Lifetime damage can occur instantly.

I selected this device because I was told that I needed something at this or a similar level to optimize the monitors that I purchased.

I had been so excited when I bought my custom monitors and this machine. I carried it with me everywhere and loved the detail that I could hear. Now I can’t even look at it and I’m afraid to use any device. I have even been afraid of loud noises on the street.

Even little things like having less drivers or buying a lesser machine, or simply using my iPhone never would’ve allowed this to happen even in the worst case scenario.

This needs fixing.

Jan 4, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #2,010 of 5,840
JasonNYC

Really sorry to read this happened to you. Hopefully your requested feature will be implemented soot.
And as we always use to say:
" Welcome to Headfi and sorry for your wallet *.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back