Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jan 4, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #2,011 of 5,840
Really sorry to read this happened to you. Hopefully your requested feature will be implemented soot.
And as we always use to say:
" Welcome to Headfi and sorry for your wallet *.
In this case it’s more like „Welcome to Headfi and sorry for your ears!“
It’s dark humor, I know, but I got a tinnitus myself, so I am allowed to make jokes (what else do we have left against this screwing ringing in our ears!?

Jan 4, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #2,012 of 5,840
... but how brain-dead easy would it be to just add an option that allows the volume to be controlled by the dial only, rather than dial or touchscreeen -- or to have a volume limit preference in the settings?

I've had the exact same thing happen to me -- accidentally made the volume 150 by touching the touch screen (after having used the volume knob) and experienced the ear pain that comes with that.

While we're at it, I'm also eagerly awaiting the implementation of collapsible track listings under the album lists, as was recently added to the SP1000.

Jan 4, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #2,013 of 5,840
Really sorry to read this happened to you. Hopefully your requested feature will be implemented soot.
And as we always use to say:
" Welcome to Headfi and sorry for your wallet *.
Thank you very much for your sympathy. Right now, I’m just praying that I’ll return to normal eventually. The ringing is just maddening. Hesitant to put anything back into my ears again.

Jan 4, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #2,015 of 5,840
... but how brain-dead easy would it be to just add an option that allows the volume to be controlled by the dial only, rather than dial or touchscreeen -- or to have a volume limit preference in the settings?

I've had the exact same thing happen to me -- accidentally made the volume 150 by touching the touch screen (after having used the volume knob) and experienced the ear pain that comes with that.

While we're at it, I'm also eagerly awaiting the implementation of collapsible track listings under the album lists, as was recently added to the SP1000.
Thank you for responding and your support. I wrote to the president of astell and kern. Seems Sony has a much more intelligent design with safety in mind. For now, I’m just praying, waiting, and hoping others are not exposed.

Jan 4, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #2,016 of 5,840

It’s just too easy to cause harm. Especially hard to believe in a time where monitoring and safety are so popular. Seems as though this design, with the triangular motif, is meant to be a beauty aspect aligned with A&K brand image and design. Who cares about that when the risk is that you can no longer enjoy music, quiet spaces, or sleep!

Jan 4, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #2,017 of 5,840
Really I mean F&^king really.

I broke my ears with a AK2000. ..........

If your answer is yes. Please post your player on eBay, hit the logout button on this forum and sincerely never come the F back.

please chill.
You really don't see any irony in your own words? Please pm me when something bad happens in your life. I want to be there for you with an equivalent expletive-laden level of sympathy.

I second the vote for a gain control and/or volume cap on the SP2k. With sensitive IEMs, it is way too easy to raise the volume to very unsafe levels very quickly. A low/medium/high gain setting would also be useful for fine-grained volume control with IEMs. I frequently find volume level 1 is still too loud for my Xelentos or SE846.

Gain control and volume cap are urgently-needed features.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #2,018 of 5,840
Really I mean F&^king really.

I broke my ears with a AK2000. ..........

If your answer is yes. Please post your player on eBay, hit the logout button on this forum and sincerely never come the F back.

the attributes of the player are clearly defined. If you can't handle it because you lack skills to push buttons go away. Apple has a nice pair of Beats for you and your MP3's

remember folks - the Japanese versions have hard limits on a lot of players. we have made a request for a limit safety feature several pages ago. don't push it or you will wind up with un-revokable parental controls your dont like.

please chill.
I have abundant skills. And abundant empathy. One day you will make an error and harm yourself.

An option to provide safety is all that was requested. Not your classless commentary.

Jan 4, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #2,019 of 5,840
In this case it’s more like „Welcome to Headfi and sorry for your ears!“
It’s dark humor, I know, but I got a tinnitus myself, so I am allowed to make jokes (what else do we have left against this screwing ringing in our ears!?
Thank you for your response. I would love the rigging to stop. It’s been a while. Was yours from a blast or long term?

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #2,020 of 5,840
How long was your exposure and using what equipment? How long did you have symptoms? Thank you for responding. This has rattled me deeply.
Sp1000 with ciem Jerry Harvey Audio LAYLA. I was listening in bed, and I accidentally rubbed the volume knob while swiping albums, instant pain. It was about one year ago. My ears were in pain, I had a hard time sleeping, I had some tinnitus ringing sound as I tried to go to bed. I woke up fine. Having CIEMs, it's not exactly quick to remove them. I made this mistake about twice with the last one the worst.

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #2,021 of 5,840
Thank you for responding and your support. I wrote to the president of astell and kern. Seems Sony has a much more intelligent design with safety in mind. For now, I’m just praying, waiting, and hoping others are not exposed.
When Sony makes a new TOTL DAP with the newest DAC to compete with sp2000 I'm considering jumping too. I'm holding my breath for a new TOTL sony replacement or Fiio M15 or whichever was announced recently. Cayin has no plans on a refresh to the N8.
AK is a dangerous product over the volume swipe, I'd prefer a robust 4.4 over a fragile 2.5mm, and my AK SP1000 isn't exactly reliable; it's as if I paid a ton of money to be a beta tester.
I wish A&K success in the future, they seem to be very innovating.

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #2,022 of 5,840
Sp1000 with ciem Jerry Harvey Audio LAYLA. I was listening in bed, and I accidentally rubbed the volume knob while swiping albums, instant pain. It was about one year ago. My ears were in pain, I had a hard time sleeping, I had some tinnitus ringing sound as I tried to go to bed. I woke up fine. Having CIEMs, it's not exactly quick to remove them. I made this mistake about twice with the last one the worst.
Wow. I’m so glad you woke up fine. It’s been three weeks for me. What a scenario. Must have terrified you.

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #2,023 of 5,840
Mine was also with ciems. A18t. Yes, hard to get out. I reacted first by trying to lower the volume. When that wasn’t fast enough I pulled them out. Left took slightly longer than right. Probably three seconds or so total. It was enough.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #2,024 of 5,840
Hey @Jschild77, yeah i was worried that AK paid no noticeable attention to my suggestion.
Given that yours was a relatively short, one time exposure hopefully your ears are able to recover and the ringing goes away. It's definitely a mistake one can only afford to make 2-3 times in a lifetime.
I've had tinnitus since i was 12, after a bike/car accident. You do get used to it, desensitized to the sound. Best thing is to not focus on it otherwise it can become very frustrating.

All the best.

Jan 4, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #2,025 of 5,840
Hey @Jschild77, yeah i was worried that AK paid no noticeable attention to my suggestion.
Given that yours was a relatively short, one time exposure hopefully your ears are able to recover and the ringing goes away. It's definitely a mistake one can only afford to make 2-3 times in a lifetime.
I've had tinnitus since i was 12, after a bike/car accident. You do get used to it, desensitized to the sound. Best thing is to not focus on it otherwise it can become very frustrating.

All the best.
Thank you for your kind words. I’m sorry you’ve had to live with it. Sad how many of the treatments for it revolve around treating anxiety and depression. Such a small thing with such unexpected and unbelievable consequences. I would give up hearing acuity to avoid this strange complication. I surely hope that a relatively short exposure it is only temporary. I got very nervous when more than a couple weeks had gone by without improvement. But, time will tell. Looks like you are from Australia? I spent one year in Sydney in 1997 and 98. I love
the country.

I will go back and read your suggestion or feel free to re-post it here. I did not read any of these things when I was doing my research. And while I noticed it early on when playing with the device, it’s sometimes very difficult to avoid and quite accident prone. I will not use it again without a feature and probably not at all for a year.

I sent an email to Owen Kwon at the company. Let’s hope they take this seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back