Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Sep 3, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #691 of 5,840
Why is the internal dac "the best" , you have used this dac in another player ?
I said “one of the best”.

Are you in HK? Do you know if the stores like DMA, Let’s Go, Jaben have received the SP2000 yet?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #692 of 5,840
I said “one of the best”.

Are you in HK? Do you know if the stores like DMA, Let’s Go, Jaben have received the SP2000 yet?

master pro, Right shop already on-stock 2 days ago, but seems sold out now

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #693 of 5,840
I have LG G8, that has Quad DAC and is considered the best sounding wired smartphone.
Using AK & Beyerdynamics T8ie earphones.

Would I see sound quality/dynamics upgrade if I get the SP 1000/2000?
I tried the SP 1000 instore and compared to my LG G8, but to be honest I didn't hear much difference. I think though the differences are subtle (doesn't mean not significant) and it will take me longer listening to really appreciate the difference.
That's my guess, but I might be wrong...

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #694 of 5,840
I have LG G8, that has Quad DAC and is considered the best sounding wired smartphone.
Using AK & Beyerdynamics T9IE earphones.

Would I see sound quality/dynamics upgrade if I get the SP 1000/2000?
I tried the SP 1000 instore and compared to my LG G8, but to be honest I didn't hear much difference. I think though the differences are subtle (doesn't mean not significant) and it will take me longer listening to really appreciate the difference.
That's my guess, but I might be wrong...

If you can't hear a sound difference between your smartphone and SP1000/2000, consider yourself a lucky man with a happy wallet :wink:

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #696 of 5,840
If you can't hear a sound difference between your smartphone and SP1000/2000, consider yourself a lucky man with a happy wallet :wink:

Hahaha good one lol. :beyersmile:

With that said, I will probably go all out this coming Black Friday.
Will attempt to order SP2000 and a custom IEM (Empire Ears Phanotm or 64 Audio A18T).
Maybe ordering SP2000M won't be a huge sound quality upgrade, but I bet going from my Universal IEMs to customs should be a big jump (even though my universals are pretty good).

Will wait out till coming black Friday as I know all audio gear get a pretty good discount during that time (around 10-20%).
I could save around $1,000 on SP2000 + Custom IEM, which is a lot of money...

God please give me patience lol

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #698 of 5,840
I always leaned towards custom IEMs over the years but lately I am preferring universal versions more. Less up-front hassle and easier to support over time. I'm not sensing a big change in sq either.

H@@m, that's surprising to hear...
Either way, I feel like I need another IEM anyways as I have been getting bored listening to same IEM for the last 3 years, need to spice things up a bit lol.
Might as well try Customs for my next IEM.

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #699 of 5,840
Ignorance is bliss... :L3000:

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #700 of 5,840
Ah, that made me laugh...thank you...

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #701 of 5,840
I always leaned towards custom IEMs over the years but lately I am preferring universal versions more. Less up-front hassle and easier to support over time. I'm not sensing a big change in sq either.
Customs are a PITA and they have horrible resale value. Universals for me.

Sep 4, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #703 of 5,840
I want to clear up this misunderstanding, Tumyum in his impressions never suggest that the SP2000 is the same as the Kann Cube. I see this impressions got repeated several times in the last few pages and that is not true. I was with Tumyum when we first listened to both the SP2000 and the Kann Cube. The SP2000 is a level or two above the Cube. Even after the “Meet your Maker” event in Vegas, He is still of the opinion that the SP2000 is better. I know this because we talked on the phone during and after the event and he is buying a SP2000ss over the Cube. I am still of the impressions that the SP2000 is one of the the best dap right now along with my WM1Z they are very musical. The following weeks and months will bear that out as more SP2000 impressions comes out. I have expressed these views in prior posts but want to be clear.

With regard to the DMP-1Z I think it has a refined/highend sound and probably one of the best in its class. I probably will buy the next version if Sony will increase the amp power and put in the AKM4499eq in it. But based on my listening it may not out perform th SP2000. Again future consensus will bear that out for now it is just my opinions based on my personal experience.

As for Chord I own the Mojo, Hugo, and listened to TT/TT2 and Dave multiple times. Chord’s sound is good if it fit you personal preference but it doesn’t have a personality for me. That is why Chord put in different sound signature in Hugo2.
It is just the filter?
Why no signature? I can say that chord signature is one of the most identical to the notation of idea.
I bet Hugo2TT and Mscaler is far better than the big boy sony I you have knowledge and experience to explore their full potential.

Sep 4, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #704 of 5,840
Just pre-ordered a cu SP2000.

Sep 4, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #705 of 5,840
Putting my money where my mouth is, just ordered the SP2000 CU. I am a fanboy of nobody even after my purchase so if it doesn’t turn out to be what I said based on my one time audition, I will adjust my impressions but hoping it will maintain my expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back