Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Oct 7, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #1,381 of 5,840
I also got my unit brand new at around $400 off retail brand new, through a reputable online vendor. If needed, PM me for info.

I walked into a well known retail store in NY (you can guess by now if you live in NY) and asked for a price match and was a bit offended when they scoffed at the price I mentioned to them online and accused my online price quote to be fake. If they politely refused that's one thing as I understand they have higher costs running a retail store but to scoff at the customer and basically implying pretty directly that "we have customers who will pay full price and you may just leave" puts a pretty bad taste in the mouth considering that I've bought from them multiple times before.

To all hobbyists, spend your money wisely, there are online vendors that sell for much cheaper, without the taxes too.

Also I feel stores who are not competing directly online via price matching are going to lose a certain set of customers which is just bad business sense in today's climate.

If you want a warm copper cable, 1960 is not it. Don't know about 1950, never tried it, but maybe you can demo it from Musicteck.

With your online purchase (guessing, Bloom) vs in-store (guessing, audio46), indeed a store next to Time Square with a full staff will have a huge overhead. Wonder if they thought you are pulling their leg or you have been to the store one too many times auditioning without buying anything (you know how it is with retail stores, that's how Stereo Exchange in NYC went out of business 2 years ago, people used to come in to audition, and then buy from on-line retailers). Btw, I heard from a few international retailers that SP2k has been in high demand, to the point where people even buying display units.

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #1,382 of 5,840
I also got my unit brand new at around $400 off retail brand new, through a reputable online vendor. If needed, PM me for info.

I walked into a well known retail store in NY (you can guess by now if you live in NY) and asked for a price match and was a bit offended when they scoffed at the price I mentioned to them online and accused my online price quote to be fake. If they politely refused that's one thing as I understand they have higher costs running a retail store but to scoff at the customer and basically implying pretty directly that "we have customers who will pay full price and you may just leave" puts a pretty bad taste in the mouth considering that I've bought from them multiple times before.

To all hobbyists, spend your money wisely, there are online vendors that sell for much cheaper, without the taxes too.

Also I feel stores who are not competing directly online via price matching are going to lose a certain set of customers which is just bad business sense in today's climate.
Yeah, Everytime I go into that Times Square store they give me an attitude. I've spent a few grand there, too.

Oct 7, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #1,383 of 5,840
SS more accurate, technical, fast, and airy. Copper version is warmer, funner, and less detailed. I feel the u18t specifically shines with its detail retrieval so opted for the SS version for myself.

Also for my case I am eyeing the aftermarket copper cables, which generally add warmth so I did not want a warmer DAP along with the warmer cables. Currently eyeing the pw1950s and pw1960s.

Everyone is different though, preference call at the end of the day. I enjoyed my music more with the copper version but since I have OCD, knowingly noticing certain details missing or less prominent bothers me to a point where the copper version being not as fun for me. Hope that makes sense. I would assume most people lean towards the copper version as this thread has proven. (Past posts of peoples' preferences)
What were the music tracks you used that made you believe the SS will be better for you ?

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #1,384 of 5,840
What were the music tracks you used that made you believe the SS will be better for you ?
Variety of rap, classical, edm..

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #1,385 of 5,840
Oct 8, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #1,386 of 5,840
If you want a warm copper cable, 1960 is not it. Don't know about 1950, never tried it, but maybe you can demo it from Musicteck.

With your online purchase (guessing, Bloom) vs in-store (guessing, audio46), indeed a store next to Time Square with a full staff will have a huge overhead. Wonder if they thought you are pulling their leg or you have been to the store one too many times auditioning without buying anything (you know how it is with retail stores, that's how Stereo Exchange in NYC went out of business 2 years ago, people used to come in to audition, and then buy from on-line retailers). Btw, I heard from a few international retailers that SP2k has been in high demand, to the point where people even buying display units.
Regarding this, I actually have spent close to 5 figures at the retail store and there were even instances where I felt I should return to purchase if they price match or at least be close to online pricing because I have demoed there first. It is usually met with attitude and with that snobby vibe of "we got customers who will pay full price." I am not pointing any fingers at any particular store but I will say that it is one thing to state that you just can't price match versus being lightweight disrespectful by implying that I am a bad customer by stating that they have "good customers" who don't request for price matching.

I'm sure all their staff members do not shop around either when they buy stuff right? To treat returning customers with this sort of attitude to me is just plain bad no matter how you cut it.

Once again, I have spent close to 5 figures at this store and I do not visit the store demoing often.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #1,387 of 5,840
Very diverse , dont think either is ideal for rap.
What do you think is good for rap, you'd be surprised the instrumentals behind the bars can get quite detailed and the sp2000 picks up a lot of details of which I thought was never there before.

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #1,388 of 5,840
Regarding this, I actually have spent close to 5 figures at the retail store and there were even instances where I felt I should return to purchase if they price match or at least be close to online pricing because I have demoed there first. It is usually met with attitude and with that snobby vibe of "we got customers who will pay full price." I am not pointing any fingers at any particular store but I will say that it is one thing to state that you just can't price match versus being lightweight disrespectful by implying that I am a bad customer by stating that they have "good customers" who don't request for price matching.

I'm sure all their staff members do not shop around either when they buy stuff right? To treat returning customers with this sort of attitude to me is just plain bad no matter how you cut it.

Once again, I have spent close to 5 figures at this store and I do not visit the store demoing often.
Online stores pays nobody , they dont pay someone to help you demo it , they dont pay for a store so you can browse. Also you might not know it , but you might be going to the shop with an attitude that they are snobby so your way of walking talking will be easily read.

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #1,389 of 5,840
Online stores pays nobody , they dont pay someone to help you demo it , they dont pay for a store so you can browse. Also you might not know it , but you might be going to the shop with an attitude that they are snobby so your way of walking talking will be easily read.

Main point to be made is that I found it unbelievable that a retail store is willing to speak to customers in a lightweight disrespectful manner for just asking for a price match. (especially to returning customers who have spent) I did not go in thinking that they are snobby nor would I have any reason to do so.

Things have gotten competitive everywhere, my online dealer was able to arrange for me to test both copper and stainless steel versions as well as provide a competitive price, if the retailers refuse to stay competitive, then certain customers will be lost. Also I thought I was an isolated incident but have heard many stories from others sharing similar experiences at this specific store.

With that all said I do understand that retailers have higher overhead, people on payroll to let you demo, etc etc but that does not excuse themselves for being disrespectful towards returning customers who have found it cheaper elsewhere and are requesting a price match. A simple "no" without disrespectful undertones would have been perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #1,390 of 5,840
B5E1F4BA-BD7F-4DE6-9C7A-F7BECA96F64F.jpeg 562565F2-FD4D-4335-BAAA-C320CDF66994.png A73F5158-2E44-4FF5-8EC3-191A95ABFED4.jpeg Guys, im so happy with my ears :D for me, there is no much different between ak240 and sp2000.
Tested with Focal Stellia, Accuphase e650 & 803d3, connected with XLR Kimber

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #1,391 of 5,840
Guys, im so happy with my ears :D for me, there is no much different between ak240 and sp2000.
Tested with Focal Stellia, Accuphase e650 & 803d3, connected with XLR Kimber
Yeah so different parts , different price , same thing ?

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #1,392 of 5,840
Yes, for my ears :) no different, it means I have goldears, because I can save money :D
(Player was not burn in, brand new 0hours)

of course SP2000 is much more faster when you playing dsd file, more Power, feels better, but for only music listening, ak240 is still superb.

Volume Knob is same like SP1K, you have to be careful with it, the Player was brand new, but there is already little fixture.

my super old th900 is also better than Focal Stellia :D

and dont clean or touch on the backside, the print of ak is so cheap, even on SS, I thought only Cu Version is crap, also SS Version.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #1,393 of 5,840
Yes, for my ears :) no different, it means I have goldears, because I can save money :D
(Player was not burn in, brand new 0hours)

of course SP2000 is much more faster when you playing dsd file, more Power, feels better, but for only music listening, ak240 is still superb.

Volume Knob is same like SP1K, you have to be careful with it, the Player was brand new, but there is already little fixture.

my super old th900 is also better than Focal Stellia :D

and dont clean or touch on the backside, the print of ak is so cheap, even on SS, I thought only Cu Version is crap, also SS Version.
“better than Stellia“ - please be more precise or say you just like more bass, which is totally fine, but in my opinion we have to be more specific when talking about sound. „Better“ is just better for your ears, it has nothing to say about resolution, quality of reproducing the audio information, extension of highs and lows, timbre etc.
just sayin :wink:

Oct 8, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,395 of 5,840

Users who are viewing this thread

Back