Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Sep 12, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #916 of 5,840
Sep 12, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #917 of 5,840
Wow thats great she bought you audio gear.
Yes. She is always very kind.

The player sound phenomenal BTW. For anyone that is on the fence if it's an upgrade over the SP1000, yes it is. If you AB it, you can definitely tell. To me the immediate difference that you will get is the better resolution.

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #918 of 5,840
Compared it against my Hugo 2 today.

Hugo 2 has better separation and is still easier to differentiate all the different instruments, especially in congested passages.

The SP2000 had must better vocals and more organic bass. A more enjoyable sound, the Hugo 2 seemed too clinical and less engaging.

I won't say the Hugo 2 is better, I think they're on the same level of quality, the SP1000 I think was behind the Hugo 2. In a situation where you're looking out to hear the differences, the ooHugo 2 just seemed better because it was easier to separate the different sounds and instruments, but when you took a step back to actually enjoy what's in front of you the musicality of the SP2000 is second to none.

I still can't decide if i'm buying it though, as the price difference they offered me for the SP1000 was $2000 cheaper. It makes the SP2000 harder to justify in value. I might end up buying a Abyss Diana and not decide on a player :)

Mm...I ve forgotten my Hugo 2...lol! Its somewhere in my room....neglected. I ll look for it and also compare one of these days.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #919 of 5,840
Yes. She is always very kind.

The player sound phenomenal BTW. For anyone that is on the fence if it's an upgrade over the SP1000, yes it is. If you AB it, you can definitely tell. To me the immediate difference that you will get is the better resolution.

"better resolution," but is it still behind Hugo2?

Does it best Hugo2 in terms of staging?

Could you give some impressions on SP2K vs. Hugo2, since H2 is popular standard many of us are familiar with?

Also, what is that bluetooth keyboard? Is it backlit? I've been looking for a clean, compact wireless backlit keyboard but can't seem to find one.

Lastly, nice monogram.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #920 of 5,840
Audiophile logic.
I know it sounds crazy but there you go.
I note already an update to firmware upon connecting wifi.
I don't like Android file transfer sometimes it doesn't play well with my MAC. Suddenly stops working in middle of a transfer for no good reason. Are there any recommendations for alternatives.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #921 of 5,840
So far so good. I prefer it to Hugo 2 and SP1000.
Though you can get a great deal on the SP1000 on Amazon at the moment at around 2,100 pounds.
I did get a free CT10 with my SP2000 and thats pretty cute for when I’m walking the dog.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #922 of 5,840
Mm...I ve forgotten my Hugo 2...lol! Its somewhere in my room....neglected. I ll look for it and also compare one of these days.

Probably right next to your Senns HE 1 and Chord DAVE and other gear, collecting dust :p

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #923 of 5,840
"better resolution," but is it still behind Hugo2?

Does it best Hugo2 in terms of staging?

Could you give some impressions on SP2K vs. Hugo2, since H2 is popular standard many of us are familiar with?

Also, what is that bluetooth keyboard? Is it backlit? I've been looking for a clean, compact wireless backlit keyboard but can't seem to find one.

Lastly, nice monogram.
Did you read the thread? I just posted my impressions on this a few hours ago.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #925 of 5,840
Probably right next to your Senns HE 1 and Chord DAVE and other gear, collecting dust :p

Mm...too many gears, too little time.....:dt880smile:

My roadmap, past present future:

Not adding open backs anymore....not since the HE 1 in 2017. My definite end game.

Nearly done with in-ears universal.....Erlkonig may be it.

Nearly done with ciems with the Empire Ears XIV R. Maybe.

Still looking for endgame closed-backed full size headphone.....Stellia may be it. Still looking at Verite Closed or something else.

Not looking for DAPs anymore. Sony DMP Z1 and SP2K are it.

For headphone DACs and transport....not looking anymore. DAVE and Blu MK II are it. MSB? Or something else. Maybe. I need to win the lotto.

Still do not have totl tube-based amp (gaping hole in my arsenal).

For portable amp dacs, WA 8 and Hugo 2 are it. Maybe.

For the most part, it is a moving target.....but my mindset, from the very start when i started in this hobby in 2013, has always been what is the very finest to my ears....not what is the very finest out there (a never- ending race)..... So, the journey will end once I am fully satisfied. I m just plugging a few more holes, so to speak, and I am done.

Why the rush? From Apple earbuds in 2013 to the HE1 in 2017? Because of a finite resource: the quality of my sense of hearing. It is deteriorating. At some point, I will no longer be able to distinguish and appreciate the nuances of what I am hearing from some of the very finest headfi gear on the planet.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #926 of 5,840

Not adding open backs anymore....not since the HE 1 in 2017. My definite end game.

Still looking for endgame closed-backed full size headphone.....Stellia may be it. Still looking at Verite Closed or something else.

For headphone DACs and transport....not looking anymore. DAVE plus Blu MK II are it. MSB? Maybe. I need to win the lotto.

Still do not have totl tube-based amps (gaping hole in my arsenal).

A lot of maybes means the beginning.

Sep 13, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #928 of 5,840

For headphone DACs and transport....not looking anymore. DAVE and Blu MK II are it. MSB? Or something else. Maybe. I need to win the lotto.

Still do not have totl tube-based amp (gaping hole in my arsenal).

For the most part, it is a moving target.....but my mindset, from the very start when i started in this hobby in 2013, has always been what is the very finest to my ears....not what is the very finest out there (a never- ending race)..... So, the journey will end once I am fully satisfied. I m just plugging a few more holes, so to speak, and I am done.

Why the rush? From Apple earbuds in 2013 to the HE1 in 2017? Because of a finite resource: the quality of my sense of hearing. It is deteriorating. At some point, I will no longer be able to distinguish and appreciate the nuances of what I am hearing from some of the very finest headfi gear on the planet.
Can the SP2000 compete with the DMP Z1? Or is it just a different flavor? If so, what are the sound differences?

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #929 of 5,840
Can the SP2000 compete with the DMP Z1? Or is it just a different flavor? If so, what are the sound differences?
That sony is warmer than the N8.

Sep 13, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #930 of 5,840

Mm...for ciems, yes, For full sized headphones? Will be testing soon. One thing I immediately noticed....DMPZ1 sounds more natural sounding than the SP2K, which sounded too clean, too digital.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back