Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Sep 12, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #886 of 5,840
Mm... re: closed back, I ran out of patience. Purchased the Stellia as a closed-back pairing with my DMP Z1. Could not would not wait I want it now mood so No Verite Closed this year.

The sound isolation of the Stellia is average. I believe the ZMF VC will isolate better.

My choices were Focal Stellia, ZMF Verite closed and Denon D 9200. Denon headphones are not available in Singapore. Maybe I ll audition the Denon in HK on my next trip there.....barring civil war.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #887 of 5,840
Mm...launched in2018...it is Vision Ears first universal flagship...13 BA drivers (4 highs, 4 mids, 4 lows and a pair of supertweeters)...solid silver shell with 4 adjustable sound types....silver cable by Effect Audio. By far, it is ,to ears, my best in-ears ever.

It los

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #888 of 5,840
....so the question is...when i wipe with a clean cloth over sp1000...no black on the cloth...when i wipe over the Sp2000...the cloth is black...why?lol

Its not the same Quality as Sp1000

NOMAX

That does seem strange. A&K finally solved the copper oxidation problem with the sp1k that made other companies envious on how they had managed it. But now they reverted to the AK380 style instead? Maybe people didn't like the overly smooth feel?

In the sp2k box there is the card that says that regularly using a copper polish was a good idea. Did the sp1k say this too? Also in the box is not just a screen protector but one for the top and back black sections and also one for the back copper plate!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #889 of 5,840
That does seem strange. A&K finally solved the copper oxidation problem with the sp1k that made other companies envious on how they had managed it. But now they reverted to the AK380 style instead? Maybe people didn't like the overly smooth feel?

In the sp2k box there is the card that says that regularly using a copper polish was a good idea. Did the sp2k say this too? Also in the box is not just a screen protector but one for the top and back black sections and also one for the back copper plate!
You think other companies were envious ?

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #891 of 5,840
Mm...launched in2018...it is Vision Ears first universal flagship...13 BA drivers (4 highs, 4 mids, 4 lows and a pair of supertweeters)...solid silver shell with 4 adjustable sound types....silver cable by Effect Audio. By far, it is ,to ears, my best in-ears ever.

thanks a lot for those nice pics. congratulation...

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #892 of 5,840
Mm...I ve been handling the exposed copper side (not covered by the supplied leather case) with my bare hands since Monday Sept 9. So Far no problem with oxidation/tarnishing/discoloration.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #893 of 5,840
Mm...I ve been handling the exposed copper side (not covered by the supplied leather case) with my bare hands since Monday Sept 9. So Far no problem with oxidation/tarnishing/discoloration.
That’s strange (and great for you). Maybe the other units were from another batch where something went wrong in the finishing process ...

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #894 of 5,840
Mm... re: closed back, I ran out of patience. Purchased the Stellia as a closed-back pairing with my DMP Z1. Could not would not wait I want it now mood so No Verite Closed this year.

The sound isolation of the Stellia is average. I believe the ZMF VC will isolate better.

My choices were Focal Stellia, ZMF Verite closed and Denon D 9200. Denon headphones are not available in Singapore. Maybe I ll audition the Denon in HK on my next trip there.....barring civil war.

Denon D9200 is available at ConnectIT in Singapore. MSRP is SGD1999.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #896 of 5,840
Compared it against my Hugo 2 today.

Hugo 2 has better separation and is still easier to differentiate all the different instruments, especially in congested passages.

The SP2000 had must better vocals and more organic bass. A more enjoyable sound, the Hugo 2 seemed too clinical and less engaging.

I won't say the Hugo 2 is better, I think they're on the same level of quality, the SP1000 I think was behind the Hugo 2. In a situation where you're looking out to hear the differences, the Hugo 2 just seemed better because it was easier to separate the different sounds and instruments, but when you took a step back to actually enjoy what's in front of you the musicality of the SP2000 is second to none.

I still can't decide if i'm buying it though, as the price difference they offered me for the SP1000 was $2000 cheaper. It makes the SP2000 harder to justify in value. I might end up buying a Abyss Diana and not decide on a player :)

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #897 of 5,840
Compared it against my Hugo 2 today.

Hugo 2 has better separation and is still easier to differentiate all the different instruments, especially in congested passages.

The SP2000 had must better vocals and more organic bass. A more enjoyable sound, the Hugo 2 seemed too clinical and less engaging.

I won't say the Hugo 2 is better, I think they're on the same level of quality, the SP1000 I think was behind the Hugo 2. In a situation where you're looking out to hear the differences, the Hugo 2 just seemed better because it was easier to separate the different sounds and instruments, but when you took a step back to actually enjoy what's in front of you the musicality of the SP2000 is second to none.

I still can't decide if i'm buying it though, as the price difference they offered me for the SP1000 was $2000 cheaper. It makes the SP2000 harder to justify in value. I might end up buying a Abyss Diana and not decide on a player :)
So if you slightly EQ the Hugo 2 it would have everything you wanted.

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #898 of 5,840
So if you slightly EQ the Hugo 2 it would have everything you wanted.

I can't get the same vocals as on the SP2k, I tried to up the mid section and it didn't come out the same. The way the bass decays is different on the SP2k too. I want to keep both to be honest.

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #899 of 5,840
I can't get the same vocals as on the SP2k, I tried to up the mid section and it didn't come out the same. The way the bass decays is different on the SP2k too. I want to keep both to be honest.
Guess we will know in 6 months.

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #900 of 5,840
Collecting mine today.
Have got my 512gb micro sd card ready but of course filling the internal memory will take some time. At leasts its a micro C connector.
Went for the SS partly because I have a real aversion to touching and smelling copper.
I always thew my pennies away only kept the silver so no change there then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back