Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Dec 4, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #5,792 of 5,840
I guess hacking/jailbreaking the OS is a little more difficult than on a phone because it is not ONLY Android that is needed to accommodate all the other AK-only functions that are not included in Android.
How is this structured? Is the AK UI just a function that is executed by the Android OS or is it a modified Android with extra functions implemented?
As I said I am not an expert. :wink:

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #5,793 of 5,840
I guess hacking/jailbreaking the OS is a little more difficult than on a phone because it is not ONLY Android that is needed to accommodate all the other AK-only functions that are not included in Android.
How is this structured? Is the AK UI just a function that is executed by the Android OS or is it a modified Android with extra functions implemented?
Good questions, DL. I'm pretty OK flashing/rooting/using ADB with vanilla Android or a well put together custom version, but looking at how AK's version functions on this device (a bit of a mess is putting it mildly), the answers are probably anyone's guess...

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #5,794 of 5,840
Tidal 2.67 is the last version that works on Android 6. It's not the SP2000 specifically.

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #5,796 of 5,840
I See, but would it be possible to let’s say built an Android 10 OS for the SP2000 and if yes is the SP2000 hardware fast enough?

Anything is possible I guess, but I would say extremely unlikely, especially with the Exynos processor.

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #5,797 of 5,840
3.5 SE vs. 2.5 BAL:

I am extremely sensitive when it comes to the sweetness of the midrange of acoustic guitars and other acoustic instruments - or more precisely, the lack thereof.

I am using VE8 and Cleo 8 II with my SP2000 and, compared to my Hugo 2 and my previous SP1000M, I always felt that the SP2000 sounded a tad "dry" in comparison, lacking a bit of that midrange sweetness.

That was until I forgot to swap out the 3.5mm plug with the 2.5mm plug on my Cleo one day before leaving the house - so I was "forced" into listening to my SP2000 on the 3.5mm SE output. Lo and behold, said midrange magic was suddenly there!

I thought: I must be imagining things. But of course my OCD kicked in and back at home I did some rather extensive (volume matched, 10 clicks in difference) A/B comparisons, switching back and forth between SE and BAL. And in the end I reached the conclusion that there is a clearly audible difference in mid-range sweetness with SE sounding just a tad sweeter and with a nicer mid-range decay.

I could come up with only two plausible explanations:
1) I'm imagining things (even though expectation bias would be a weird explanation as I was expecting BAL to sound better, so it's maybe "wishful thinking bias" or similar :)).
2) Output impedance on SE is a tad lower than BAL - and with low-impedance in-ears such as the VE8 this could lead to a slight difference in frequency response.

Be it as it may. I've been using the SP2000 in SE mode ever since, despite 2.5 BAL being an available option.

Did anyone else make a similar (or contradicting) experience?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #5,798 of 5,840
/ deleted - accidental double-posting /

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #5,799 of 5,840
Good questions, DL. I'm pretty OK flashing/rooting/using ADB with vanilla Android or a well put together custom version, but looking at how AK's version functions on this device (a bit of a mess is putting it mildly), the answers are probably anyone's guess...
I used a one click root on my SP1K and was able to install any apps I wanted. I had torrents, VPN, file explore, Firefox running most of the time. It was a powerhouse. New music constantly downloading and I could search, transfer, delete anything quickly. Later on a dealer in China sent me the earliest firmware, which also let me install an install that would install any app without the one click root. I know one click roots are bad but there’s no personal data on it so it really makes no difference. So there are versions of the firmware floating around most likely Asia somewhere. I logged on and asked around the Chinese forums and nobody seems to have a copy. They’re all asking for the same thing too. I did ask that dealer from before. He said he’d get back to me, but never did. I guess I’m not spending money at his store so he doesn’t care. Haha

You know the SP2K also lets you install some XAPK installers but I haven’t found one that could install anything not allowed. It’s a little frustrating, knowing that I can install an installer but can’t find apps that will install from the installer. c'est la vie

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #5,801 of 5,840
Does anyone know if the SP2000T case will fit the SP2000?
It does not. Power button on the SP2000T is on top and it has 4.4mm balanced in addition to 2.5 and 3.5.

SP2000 only have 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks and power button is integrated into the volume wheel.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 8, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #5,802 of 5,840
It does not. Power button on the SP2000T is on top and it has 4.4mm balanced in addition to 2.5 and 3.5.

SP2000 only have 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks and power button is integrated into the volume wheel.
@JasonNYC any news on tidal support in the future? I worry we can’t upgrade tidal due to android OS version. Will AK take steps to address? Thank you!!

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #5,803 of 5,840
I used a one click root on my SP1K and was able to install any apps I wanted. I had torrents, VPN, file explore, Firefox running most of the time. It was a powerhouse. New music constantly downloading and I could search, transfer, delete anything quickly. Later on a dealer in China sent me the earliest firmware, which also let me install an install that would install any app without the one click root. I know one click roots are bad but there’s no personal data on it so it really makes no difference. So there are versions of the firmware floating around most likely Asia somewhere. I logged on and asked around the Chinese forums and nobody seems to have a copy. They’re all asking for the same thing too. I did ask that dealer from before. He said he’d get back to me, but never did. I guess I’m not spending money at his store so he doesn’t care. Haha

You know the SP2K also lets you install some XAPK installers but I haven’t found one that could install anything not allowed. It’s a little frustrating, knowing that I can install an installer but can’t find apps that will install from the installer. c'est la vie
That's really good/useful info, Julien. Cheers ears :thumbsup:

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #5,804 of 5,840
3.5 SE vs. 2.5 BAL:

I am extremely sensitive when it comes to the sweetness of the midrange of acoustic guitars and other acoustic instruments - or more precisely, the lack thereof.

I am using VE8 and Cleo 8 II with my SP2000 and, compared to my Hugo 2 and my previous SP1000M, I always felt that the SP2000 sounded a tad "dry" in comparison, lacking a bit of that midrange sweetness.

That was until I forgot to swap out the 3.5mm plug with the 2.5mm plug on my Cleo one day before leaving the house - so I was "forced" into listening to my SP2000 on the 3.5mm SE output. Lo and behold, said midrange magic was suddenly there!

I thought: I must be imagining things. But of course my OCD kicked in and back at home I did some rather extensive (volume matched, 10 clicks in difference) A/B comparisons, switching back and forth between SE and BAL. And in the end I reached the conclusion that there is a clearly audible difference in mid-range sweetness with SE sounding just a tad sweeter and with a nicer mid-range decay.

I could come up with only two plausible explanations:
1) I'm imagining things (even though expectation bias would be a weird explanation as I was expecting BAL to sound better, so it's maybe "wishful thinking bias" or similar :)).
2) Output impedance on SE is a tad lower than BAL - and with low-impedance in-ears such as the VE8 this could lead to a slight difference in frequency response.

Be it as it may. I've been using the SP2000 in SE mode ever since, despite 2.5 BAL being an available option.

Did anyone else make a similar (or contradicting) experience?
You ain't crazy at all; I did notice that difference on the AK380 way back. With something like an Andromeda you can get very good experience from the 3.5 while the 2.5 sounds pretty unnatural and hisses. To this day some of the best sound I've heard by memory would be from the 3.5 on the AK380 amp with some ddhifi 3.5-4.4 adapter and this is because the best cables nowadays are in 4.4 so you need to adapt em

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #5,805 of 5,840
Indeed it does appear so; it's a process called AKMusic ^^ and you can simply tap it open like an app on a Jailbroken SP2K but there's no exit button so then if you want to switch to another app you should go through the sideloaded apps tab ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back