Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Aug 3, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #436 of 5,840
NativeDSD.com put together a 5 song sampler for us to demo DSD512 with the SP2000 at High End Munich. You can download it from their site. When I get to a computer this weekend I will share the link. It was natively recorded in DSD512, not unconverted.
You are so awesome Jason, and thanks. May be you should suggest to AK to include the five songs in all SP2000 for shipping .:smile_phones:

By the way, which five songs are those samples?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #437 of 5,840
Never mind, got it.
20190803_123558.jpg

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #439 of 5,840
NativeDSD.com put together a 5 song sampler for us to demo DSD512 with the SP2000 at High End Munich. You can download it from their site. When I get to a computer this weekend I will share the link. It was natively recorded in DSD512, not unconverted.
What kind of equipments can natively record analog instruments into DSD512 ? How does the engineers be editing those files ?

Also, remodulation is different than up conversions. So, by using offline modulators such as Xivero and or HQplayerPro, you can remodulate just any files legitimately into DSD512.

I do not know any upconversion that can do pcm to DSD. I do know modulators algorithms that can, and matter of fact is that your DAC-IC is doing just that. That is why it is called Delta-Sigma Modulators

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #442 of 5,840
and I can't listen to Focal utopia without my ears ringing with fatigue from about 10 seconds of listening.

I first listened to the Focal Utopias at the London Indulgence Show in 2017 (now rebranded the Festival of Sound Show but not happening this year) and I found the treble bit my head off. I was disappointed, this was using my Plenue 1 & trying out the Questyle QP2R (which I bought with Show discount). I managed to blag a pair of Utopias for that Christmas holiday and found the demonstration Utopias I had been lent were not run in (nor were the Show ones I had listened to). I put the borrowed Utopias on 24/7 music duties for a week using a spare laptop and they were hugely improved treble wise. I ordered my own pair after Christmas.

The other thing I have done to improve the Utopias is to buy first a SE custom Black Dragon cable from Moon Audio (who wants the original 10ft cable for portable in home use?). Having just upgraded my QP2R to a Cayin N8, I bought a Black Dragon Balanced cable. Cayin N8 + Balanced cable + Utopias = music joy...............

So sometimes what seems not nice at first can be very different a short time later.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #443 of 5,840
Good job I held onto my SPK1000. Pre ordered in the UK June but things seem to have gone quiet on the delivery front.

Ha ha, have you listened to the Cayin N8? Just bought one, absolutely brilliant, love the implementation of the Korg valve which provides the 3rd choice of sound. I heard post Christmas re SP2000?

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #444 of 5,840
I first listened to the Focal Utopias at the London Indulgence Show in 2017 (now rebranded the Festival of Sound Show but not happening this year) and I found the treble bit my head off. I was disappointed, this was using my Plenue 1 & trying out the Questyle QP2R (which I bought with Show discount). I managed to blag a pair of Utopias for that Christmas holiday and found the demonstration Utopias I had been lent were not run in (nor were the Show ones I had listened to). I put the borrowed Utopias on 24/7 music duties for a week using a spare laptop and they were hugely improved treble wise. I ordered my own pair after Christmas.

The other thing I have done to improve the Utopias is to buy first a SE custom Black Dragon cable from Moon Audio (who wants the original 10ft cable for portable in home use?). Having just upgraded my QP2R to a Cayin N8, I bought a Black Dragon Balanced cable. Cayin N8 + Balanced cable + Utopias = music joy...............

So sometimes what seems not nice at first can be very different a short time later.

and maybe as well, your got used to their non rollled-off treble :)

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #445 of 5,840
Ha ha, have you listened to the Cayin N8? Just bought one, absolutely brilliant, love the implementation of the Korg valve which provides the 3rd choice of sound. I heard post Christmas re SP2000?

"Post Christmas"?:frowning2:

I hope this is a joke.

Aug 7, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #446 of 5,840
nd maybe as well, your got used to their non rollled-off treble :)

No, I only listened for a few minutes to the loaners before putting them on running in duties 24/7 = +168 hours + the paltry number of hours they had when I borrowed them. The 'problem' is that distributors and some dealers don't have the time (many of us do) to focus on one pair of Focal Utopia headphones and run them in properly. Distributors and dealers have lots of kit to handle so this is understandable. So I started my proper listening on the loaners with say 200 hours on and that made a big difference to that over fierce treble (my impression of the Utopias at the 2017 London Show). The Utopia is improved again with the Moon Audio Black Dragon cable (I didn't choose the Silver Dragon version). Many headphones & IEM's also benefit from custom cables.

Aug 7, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #447 of 5,840
hope this is a joke.

Maybe but who knows? The London dealer I spoke to recently was pretty fed-up with A & K's repeated moving of the delivery date.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #450 of 5,840
11 minutes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back