Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Mar 28, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #4,456 of 5,840
If you just add the interesting album to your library, instead of adding it to a playlist, I will also be added in Tidal favorites. You can tag the album in Roon, e.g. 'backlog', 'check out later', etc. Once you listen to the album and decide you want to ditch it, you just delete the album in Roon. It will disappear in your Tidal favorites too. (If you downloaded it to the SP2000, I think you'll have to delete it from offline music manually.)
The use of tags sounds interesting, thanks! I like to keep my library clean from things I'm still exploring, this is why I use playlists instead of adding/removing them. But this looks like a good enough compromise for now. It would be great if Roon had support for adding/removing tracks to/from Tidal playlists directly from their app. That would solve most of my issues here.

I would be nice to be able to use the Roon remote app directly in the SP2000 too. But it seems AK hasn't whitelisted the Roon Remote app yet. @JasonNYC Any plans to allow the Roon Remote app in AK's players?

Mar 28, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #4,457 of 5,840
The use of tags sounds interesting, thanks! I like to keep my library clean from things I'm still exploring, this is why I use playlists instead of adding/removing them.
Makes sense. For me, seeing 'unfamiliar' albums in my library works as a reminder to get on with the backlog. :)

EDIT: I don't add a tag for albums I want to check out, I simply leave it 'tagless', which will tell me I need to check it out, because albums that stay in the library all get tagged by genre...

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #4,458 of 5,840
The use of tags sounds interesting, thanks! I like to keep my library clean from things I'm still exploring, this is why I use playlists instead of adding/removing them. But this looks like a good enough compromise for now. It would be great if Roon had support for adding/removing tracks to/from Tidal playlists directly from their app. That would solve most of my issues here.

I would be nice to be able to use the Roon remote app directly in the SP2000 too. But it seems AK hasn't whitelisted the Roon Remote app yet. @JasonNYC Any plans to allow the Roon Remote app in AK's players?

As a user of SP1000M and a SR15 which are not worthy of "Roon Ready" status, I still find myself confused at the implementation on A&K devices. I, like many others, expected the addition of a bitperfect "Roon Remote" app under openapp which would allow for control as well as playback. Perhaps @JasonNYC could add some insight?

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #4,459 of 5,840
As a user of SP1000M and a SR15 which are not worthy of "Roon Ready" status, I still find myself confused at the implementation on A&K devices. I, like many others, expected the addition of a bitperfect "Roon Remote" app under openapp which would allow for control as well as playback. Perhaps @JasonNYC could add some insight?
need distinguishing features to separate out flagships from entry levels. Roon support is a nice one !

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #4,460 of 5,840
need distinguishing features to separate out flagships from entry levels. Roon support is a nice one !
Respectfully, I would argue that the "A&ultima" SP1000M is a flagship. Unless, of course, "A&ultima" means nothing... other than branding nonsense...

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #4,461 of 5,840
I believe each piece of equipment or software needs to be individually submitted to roon for roon ready certification. From what I’ve read there is no blanket approval for a manufacturer. The SP1000 was back and forth to roon many times. I’m sure the SP1000M will soon follow.

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #4,462 of 5,840
I believe each piece of equipment or software needs to be individually submitted to roon for roon ready certification. From what I’ve read there is no blanket approval for a manufacturer. The SP1000 was back and forth to roon many times. I’m sure the SP1000M will soon follow.
I sincerely hope you are correct as someone who have invested thousands of dollars in a&k products over the years....

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #4,464 of 5,840
Received my SP2000 today. For me, there’s a very noticeable improvement in transparency, soundstage and detail compared to the SE200. Very happy with it so far!

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #4,467 of 5,840
Has @JasonNYC heard anything back from Roon about their limiting the DSD and PCM rates on the SP2000 and SP1000? He mentioned previously that it was just a question of correcting their database.
I was just about to ask the same question. Dsf files I played prior no longer work on my sp2k.

Apr 3, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #4,468 of 5,840
I was just about to ask the same question. Dsf files I played prior no longer work on my sp2k.
Strangely enough a reboot fixed the problem... Go figure!

P.S Still working after charging the SP2K and playing music again.
@JasonNYC

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #4,470 of 5,840
Chaps, I have a quick question which I hope you will be able to provide guidance. I’ve been using the balanced LO from the SP2000Cu into my desktop amplifier. Is there a difference which level of LO output I choose. And, if it does, how does one know which one to choose? Is it really a matter of trial and error - if there is distortion, then it means the output level is too high?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back