Astell&Kern Launches New R-2R DAP and IEMs at High End Munich 2023
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #557 of 721
And what can you say about the difference in sound between ordinary and titanium?
Both have the same tuning and firmware. Due to the body materials used, since AK uses the entire dAP body for grounding, there may be a noticeable difference among players with different body materials.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 2, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #561 of 721
Notice the wording of the response. What is a "sound profile"? The tuning of the DAP perhaps. That may not have been changed but there are other things that can affect the sound.
To me it seems more full in the low end , even my Trio that I’m treble sensitive I can now listen to it on the SE300… can’t explain…

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #562 of 721
we wanted to prepare a firmware for the se300 for everyone, which improves the sound of the 300 aluminum and brings it closer to the titanium version. but after the update, we had problems and everything rolled back to stock. therefore, lay it out for everyone, alas, it will not work. This all worked on version 1.06

Nevertheless, we declare 100% that the aluminum version and the titanium version are very different in sound. and it's not about the materials of the case. it's about the firmware. The firmware is not the same, they sound different. the new firmware sounds different everywhere.

There have also been sound changes in the titanium version. More sub bass has been added. The sound became more detailed. the scene became a little deeper.

Did you know, for example, that any se300 has 2 regional settings? Yes, there are devices for Asia. for the Asia market, they are labeled CN. this is indicated where you see the firmware number in the player settings. and there are devices for the global CM market. and most importantly, do they have a different sound.

Even different regions have different sounds!!! the difference in sound is made solely by the firmware. internal settings of the device libraries.

Therefore, a request to the developers of the Astell team. Guys, please make the same sound in all version se300.
Please make the same sound everywhere as in the se300 titanium CN version! This version has the best sound among all versions of all SE300 players.
You guys can do this without any problems. Please make the firmware libraries the same everywhere as in se300 titanium CN version. absolutely all users will hear the differences and will be very grateful to you. You've got a great sound setup in the se300 titanium CN
Thx.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #563 of 721
Ok, waited to post this but here goes
These are my ears and thoughts, as we all hear differently so go easy.
I ordered a TI version but was having some issues so requested a replacement
New TI was ordered but was out of stock
While awaiting restock a demo 300 aluminum was sent out until restock, so got to listen wk or so and now are back in possession of a new TI 300 which is still burning in,, ( please note reg version was completely burned in), new TI still burning in

My brief sound impressions as I remember
Se300, more stereo graphic, amazing sound
No complaints, i hated returning the loaner

TI SE300, more note weight , touch more raw power especially low end
Little more eggy, amazing sound but got feeling that few more resitors or something was tweaked,

This all could be my imagination but this was my initial thought, ( my ears),
Was differences immediately noticeably/ no, but few wks having both my impressions as I remember upon serious listening
Both certainly look feel different with TI having little added weight in materials
Anyone owning any version are lucky to own this amazing players
Still burning in my TI, as im sure tunning will improve further
Again my thoughts only

Reg SE300
IMG_2090.jpeg

TI Limited 300
IMG_2145.jpeg

A proper a/b test together would have been more appropriate but i did hear or perceive a sq difference,

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #564 of 721
It’s really interesting the comparisons between the standard SE300 and the titanium version.

I am intrigued as to why A&K don’t advertise the Ti version as being superior with SQ… especially considering it’s quite a bit more expensive than the standard version.

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #566 of 721
Ok so I managed to get hold of a Titanium version an hour ago. The touchscreen stops responding after a few mins, even after installing the latest firmware and factory resets…. Back it goes. Hopefully they have a replacement I can try out.

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #568 of 721
Whew...Tidal is a rough experience on this device. My goodness. Qobuz is pretty rough for the first 10 minutes, then I think it catches up to the data. Apple Music is a mess for the first two to three minutes. But, Tidal is just a rough ride all together.
Might be your internet? The gui is pretty laggy but I don’t have any streaming issues. I have only used Qobuz.

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #569 of 721
I believe that after latest firmware update the battery is draining much faster, when wifi is on, it’s lasting 5-6h? Is anyone experiencing the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back